Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 10-23-2020, 10:14 PM

Default OK I'm done with my Digi003 - Help with new hardware

I'm frustrated. I'm old.

I've been holding on to my digi003 because it has 8 1/4 inputs (I have an MPC 2000XL). I use vintage equipment and I love making music with analog instruments. What is the modern day equivalent of the 003? I am not a big producer so I'm not trying to spend $3k. I make music in my home studio and if I decide I want to take it to the next level then I copy my session to a drive and take it to a real studio. But i want to work on my tracks at home. I don't do a lot of midi and plugins. I want to do straight wired analog recording.

Can someone point me to a good hardware that can replace my digi003? It also needs to have outputs for my recording monitors. It has to be compatible with Windows 10 and the latest protools version. Thunderbolt 3 preferred.
Sorry but im a bit frustrated. I keep trying to keep my 003 working and patches, updates etc are making it more difficult so I don't know where to go next.

Thanks anyone for help.

Last edited by rev_mex; 10-25-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:53 AM

Default Re: OK I'm done with my Digi003 - Help with new hardware

Are you using the desktop 003 or the rackmount? That makes a big difference in the recommendations. Do you really need USB-c? If not and you want to save money take a look at the MOTU interfaces.; they have several under $1000 Or if you can spend a bit more there's the UAD Apollo line.; a bit pricey and they have DSP.

Do you need low/no latency straight play-through of your external hardware? There's few interfaces that do that anymore. Some of the MOTU stuff can do that.

QAPLA!
Old 10-24-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Are you using the desktop 003 or the rackmount? That makes a big difference in the recommendations. Do you really need USB-c? If not and you want to save money take a look at the MOTU interfaces.; they have several under $1000 Or if you can spend a bit more there's the UAD Apollo line.; a bit pricey and they have DSP.

Do you need low/no latency straight play-through of your external hardware? There's few interfaces that do that anymore. Some of the MOTU stuff can do that.
I use the 003 console version. Truth be told - I only use the input volume and monitor knobs. I adjust my levels and tweeks in pro tools. I'm basically saying that I don't really need a huge console but since I am a hands on person then some knobs that can adjust volume controls would be nice. Also, I only say USB-C because i never understood USB vs firewire in my 003. I just wanted to hit "record" and not expect a lock up so I thought firewire was the best and faster than USB.
Are there specific models you recommend? Can they be "standards" something that everyone has and loves?
I appreciate you responding. Meanwhile I am going to get an old PC (old Windows OS) from my garage and try to get my 003 going on it til i find something modern.
Lastly, I'm always on youtube so I can always look up review vids to help narrow what I need. I just need some salesman type guidance. Thank you!
btw, not sure what you mean by "Do you need low/no latency straight play-through of your external hardware? " Does that mean that if I play instruments along with tracks that I recorded? YES, if so.

EDIT: NEVERMIND ABOUT USB-C. I meant Thunderbolt 3!

OK I just looked up MOTU 828x. This looks like it's an answer. It has the 8 inputs I need. I just have to see if there's something a little better and if it works with protools. Looks like it's been around for a while so I have to see if there's something more modern.

Last edited by rev_mex; 10-24-2020 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:48 AM

I retried my 003+ R a few years ago replacing it with the Focusrite Claret 8 Pre X. Much less than $3k and it sounds good. I use Artist mix and the Pro Tools control app on iPad. The Claret is really, in my opinion, what the Avid 004R would have looked like.

Thunderbolt 2 both Mac & PC. A thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter works just fine.

Actually my 003r + is only semi retired. It now lives in a rack case on wheels that I use with my win 7 laptop for mobile recording.

Just a thought.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2023.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2023.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 10-24-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
I retried my 003+ R a few years ago replacing it with the Focusrite Claret 8 Pre X. Much less than $3k and it sounds good. I use Artist mix and the Pro Tools control app on iPad. The Claret is really, in my opinion, what the Avid 004R would have looked like.

Thunderbolt 2 both Mac & PC. A thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter works just fine.

Actually my 003r + is only semi retired. It now lives in a rack case on wheels that I use with my win 7 laptop for mobile recording.

Just a thought.
Thank you for the reply, I am up looking things up. Yes, I'm a real simple person. I don't need bells and whistles. I am just looking for an equivalent of a 003 but a modern version. By equivalent I mean performance wise not a huge console. I was happy with the sound of the 003 so I want to be happy with the sound in the new thing. I'm assuming I connect this to my PC and use Protools with it like the 003? I'm looking this up.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_mex View Post
I use the 003 console version. Truth be told - I only use the input volume and monitor knobs. I adjust my levels and tweeks in pro tools. I'm basically saying that I don't really need a huge console but since I am a hands on person then some knobs that can adjust volume controls would be nice. Also, I only say USB-C because i never understood USB vs firewire in my 003. I just wanted to hit "record" and not expect a lock up so I thought firewire was the best and faster than USB.
Are there specific models you recommend? Can they be "standards" something that everyone has and loves?
I appreciate you responding. Meanwhile I am going to get an old PC (old Windows OS) from my garage and try to get my 003 going on it til i find something modern.
Lastly, I'm always on youtube so I can always look up review vids to help narrow what I need. I just need some salesman type guidance. Thank you!
btw, not sure what you mean by "Do you need low/no latency straight play-through of your external hardware? " Does that mean that if I play instruments along with tracks that I recorded? YES, if so.

EDIT: NEVERMIND ABOUT USB-C. I meant Thunderbolt 3!

OK I just looked up MOTU 828x. This looks like it's an answer. It has the 8 inputs I need. I just have to see if there's something a little better and if it works with protools. Looks like it's been around for a while so I have to see if there's something more modern.
The 828x is pretty darn good for what the average bedroom producer wants. And it will work with PT. As to straight play-thru what I'm talking about is the ability to play your external hardware without going through a/d and d/a conversions and the subsequent delay. Because you're looking at the MOTU take a look at what they call CueMix. With that you can setup a direct monitoring of your external h/w AND record into PT at the same time. It will also allow you to play your external h/w and you don't want to power up the computer.

QAPLA!
Old 10-24-2020, 12:23 PM

I also retired my 003R a few months ago(and also had the mixer version but used very little of the surface). My replacement is the Presonus Studio 1810c and its been working quite nicely once I gave up on the crappy USB-c card I bought. Instead, I just run it in on a USB3 port. The next model up gives more IO if you need it

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-25-2020, 09:06 AM

Does your computer already have Thunderbolt? Typically, this isn’t something you can just “add on.”
Old 10-25-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Does your computer already have Thunderbolt? Typically, this isn’t something you can just “add on.”
Yes. I’ve been looking at audio interface videos since I’ve posting this. Lol
Old 10-25-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_mex View Post
Yes. I’ve been looking at audio interface videos since I’ve posting this. Lol
What exact make/model computer do you have?

USB-C is just a type of connector... it does not tell you what protocols are supported. A USB-C connector on a PC usually does *not* imply it has Thunderbolt support, they likely only provide USB 3 or 2 and no Thunderbolt, unless it is specifically called out. A USB-C connector on an interface might support say USB-3 or Thunderbolt... not both. You have to be clear what it actually supports.

I am going to guess that Thunderbolt interfaces are really not a good option for you.