Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2012, 08:12 PM

Default What Effects Are On These Vocals?

I'm a huge Justice fan and I was curious if any of you guys can identify what vocal effects are being used on these recordings. Let me know what you can identify. Thanks in advance,
-Jack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIW1m3jbEsg

and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqBhgEQ4LT0
Old 08-17-2012, 09:53 AM

Default Re: What Effects Are On These Vocals?

On'N'On sounds like Autotune set really hard(the old "Cher" effect) with a short plate reverb and some tight doubling, like maybe the old H3000 trick or one side at +6 cents and the other side at -6 cents. The other one sounds like a short delay that fed to the reverb enough to soften the sound of the delay(or maybe the delay is ducked by the vocal track). Probably also tuned, but not quite as hard. That's my take, but I expect others may have different ideas(that may be just as good as mine). With the technology available now, there's usually more than one way to skin a cat...er...track

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
On'N'On sounds like Autotune set really hard(the old "Cher" effect) with a short plate reverb and some tight doubling, like maybe the old H3000 trick or one side at +6 cents and the other side at -6 cents. The other one sounds like a short delay that fed to the reverb enough to soften the sound of the delay(or maybe the delay is ducked by the vocal track). Probably also tuned, but not quite as hard. That's my take, but I expect others may have different ideas(that may be just as good as mine). With the technology available now, there's usually more than one way to skin a cat...er...track
Cool:) Thanks for the advice. I'm new to this type of music so I don't know a lot of the effects these guys use....time to experiment.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 PM

Load it into Tools, phase-invert one side (left OR right), then mono-sum.
Everything in the centre cancels (often voc, bass kick), everything that's on the edges of the stereo image remains (usually fx, pads, some guitars etc).

This little trick really helps to identify vocal effects.

Works much better with songs in 'proper' sound quality (CD quality or better); everything MP3 or youtube will mainly show compression artefacts.

Hope this helps.

Jan

AVID Certified Instructor
Old 10-13-2012, 01:26 PM

I've produced a few projects that sounds similar. Not to be a copycat here:)) We would stack the vocal a few times, run each one through harmonizer/vocoder/auto Tune in full force. Each vocal processed separate with one not sellected on a plugin. So in essence you only hear one note at a time stacked 3-5 times. Eq the mids out of it and maybe add some brilliance with old SSL high shelf, I guess McDSP E6 has that characteristics too. Add a bit filtered Echo-boy to taste almost fading with original sound but creating length...