Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-14-2016, 06:38 AM

Default Re: How's 12.4 running for you?

+1. Me too.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
I've been running 12.4 (HDN) for a couple weeks now on my Windows 8.1 machine. Occasional crashes and freezes, but no more than normal, and overall decent performance. I think someone mentioned a glitch when an extremely short selection is made. I'm seeing that. Released by starting playback from the beginning.
That was probably me, it's a confirmed bug when working with H.264 video (which they don't recommend, but all post houses here in the UK at least use). They were hopeful it would get fixed, but wouldn't commit.

PT 2018HD; W10 Pro; i7 7820X; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Old 01-14-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
That was probably me, it's a confirmed bug when working with H.264 video (which they don't recommend, but all post houses here in the UK at least use). They were hopeful it would get fixed, but wouldn't commit.
Ah, that makes more sense now. I virtually always convert to DNxHD before starting a project, but I had one editor send me a conformed Pro Tools session for a quick update to a finished project, including an H.264 video file which I didn't bother to convert. I'll run a test on the original with the DNxHD video and see if it's any different.
ADK Core i7 4.20, 32GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT HD 2019.6, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, AJA Kona LHi, UAD-2 Quad; Mac Pro 8-core 2.67, 32GB RAM, High Sierra 10.13, Logic Pro 10.4.6, Apogee Rosetta 800, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Sierra, MOTU LP32, Pro Tools 2018.3
Old 01-14-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
That's not normal at all for a great many of us. You should contact support. They can run tests and troubleshoot your problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Over the last two months I've contacted support for every little thing you might as well you're paying for it
I'll start doing that. Still not used to this subscription thing.
ADK Core i7 4.20, 32GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT HD 2019.6, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, AJA Kona LHi, UAD-2 Quad; Mac Pro 8-core 2.67, 32GB RAM, High Sierra 10.13, Logic Pro 10.4.6, Apogee Rosetta 800, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Sierra, MOTU LP32, Pro Tools 2018.3
Old 01-14-2016, 09:10 AM

I've been using 12.4 HD and El Cap 10.12.1 HDN and 2010 12 core Mac Pro for a week of mixing. I get the occasional spinning beach ball and PT locks up but if I swipe to the next desktop and back it works again, I don't have to restart. Also get the reverb snap where I get a glitch after stopping and starting quickly but it's very random. I can go hours without it and then have it a couple of times. Usually if I disable and re enable the master fader the audio will come back and I can keep working. I also got one noise blast but if I keep fade in on and have a slight pre roll I don't get them, it happened when I had those off. The other issue is the laggy graphics when moving the curser in the edit window.
I have been able to play H264 videos but they need to be 720p or smaller. I think when the bit rate is high PT can't handle the playback.
I hate spending the money on the upgrade and things are this buggy, but I am able to work and will keep staying with this until they update and hopefully fix the issues as there seem to be many but I'm nit holding my breath.
Pt 10 and Snow Leopard / MT Lion seemed to be the most stable systems for me. I have no Issues with El Cap except in Pro Tools but that's what I use my Mac for 70 percent of the time.
Pro Tools Native and Omni PT12
Midas M32r console.
Director and Engineer for Front and Center on PBS /MTV
Director and Engineer for Speakeasy on PBS
Engineer for MTV Live new artist series
Old 01-20-2016, 01:21 AM

I get he protools has quit message over and over and I have to force quit. I've done everything and I have a killer system. I really want to go back to 11 the way it was before the upgrade. I really had no issues at all. But will it be the same? any suggestions ?
Old 01-20-2016, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
back to the lifeboat that is PT10 (and may that license NEVER expire...)
+1

Interesting.
Thanx to all in the thread for taking the time to inform others of their experiences in 12. We are still on 10 and following the 12 development from afar.
Tried to upgrade to 12 a while back but could not get rid of the Avid Video Engine issues in our workflow and rolled back.
We don't really see any reasons to upgrade at this time. Some things in 10 would be nice but none are essential so far. At some point I am expecting to see something that makes us want to upgrade but not so far. Probably only when the OS has to be updated for new CPU:s. As we ditched pt for composing and VI:s and use it only for mixing things are pretty good. I no longer expect Avid to update PT for composers in a big way that forces a rethink. But you never know..
Old 01-20-2016, 04:43 AM

Yes Mister. More info. Specs.

Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
protools@verizon.net

Live and Let Live
Old 01-20-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermackum View Post
... and I have to force quit. I've done everything and I have a killer system....

OS, RAM, specs?
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Custom Mac Pro OSX Sierra | Windows 10 Pro 64 | ProTools HD 2019 | Pyramix XI | Merging HAPI ADA8 | MBox 3 | UAD Quad PCIe | Avid Artist Mix | Kali LP-6 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 01-20-2016, 11:09 AM

Mostly good. No version of 12 works well with the SSL Duende Native Channelstrip plugin but that's SSL's fault, not Avid (for once). SSL's last update was before 12 was released although their tech support said they are working on a maintenance update.

Had a weird thing happen almost two weeks ago with 12.4. I zoomed way in and selected the head of a clip just prior to the guitar part so I could loop it and compare the self-noise from two different mics used during one take (separate tracks). Don't know if it was because I was zoomed in so far but I had a really hard time engaging loop mode. The keyboard shortcut 4 on the numeric keypad did nothing. I was able to play and stop using the keyboard shortcut 0 on the n.k. but not the one for loop toggle. I then clicked the loop button on the edit window which changed it's look to show loop was enable. When I hit play, it only played once - no looping! After turning on and off it eventually looped until I turned it off and back on then back to the same issue. I tried again a day or two later but don't think I was zoomed in like before. Haven't been able to duplicate the issue yet (haven't tried to hard either).

BTW, I'm on a Mac Mini Late 2012 2.3 Ghz i& with 16 GB RAM running OS X 10.9.5 and a logickeyboard for Pro Tools which was originally manufactured by Apple with new key labels printed on it. The 4 on the n.k. works fine in everything and did that day as well, just not in PT12.4 on that particular day. PT must have been in a bad mood then. I've done NO upgrades or system changes since the issue stopped.