Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2014, 12:21 PM

Default LPK25 Not Working

So, I've read every thread here on the LPK25 midi controller and PT 11 issues (and tried the few suggestions that were offered), but it doesn't seem like any real resolution has been discovered. When I'm on the road, I like to take my LPK25 out with me. But, though PT 11 recognizes it in "midi input devices", "peripherals", and in the midi audio studio (MAC), I can't get a midi signal to be recognized in PT 11. I have midi-thru enabled, and the track is record enabled. The controller will work in Logic Pro X, but I'd much prefer to have all of my sessions in PT11.

Does anybody have ANY idea how I could get this LPK25 to work with PT11?
Old 12-30-2014, 01:15 PM

Default Re: LPK25 Not Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanslidol View Post
So, I've read every thread here on the LPK25 midi controller and PT 11 issues (and tried the few suggestions that were offered), but it doesn't seem like any real resolution has been discovered. When I'm on the road, I like to take my LPK25 out with me. But, though PT 11 recognizes it in "midi input devices", "peripherals", and in the midi audio studio (MAC), I can't get a midi signal to be recognized in PT 11. I have midi-thru enabled, and the track is record enabled. The controller will work in Logic Pro X, but I'd much prefer to have all of my sessions in PT11.

There is a little piece of configuration software for the LPK...do you have it ?installed on your computer. IIRC, I had to reset it quite a bit on my Windows machine...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-31-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
There is a little piece of configuration software for the LPK...do you have it ?installed on your computer. IIRC, I had to reset it quite a bit on my Windows machine...
Hmmm...It's been so long since I got the LPK25 and used it in Logic that I can't remember if I installed any sort of configuration software or not. I was under the impression that the LPK was one of those midi controllers that was a simple plug and play situation. I've looked all over Akai's website, but can't find any sort of configuration software or driver (there is LPK editor software, but that's not the same, obviously).

There's got to be some sort of simple fix for this, as PT and the LPK are both super popular products. That, or I'm in dreamland...
Old 01-03-2015, 03:40 PM

So...bump?
Old 01-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanslidol View Post

Not sure if this helps, but have you gone through the chapter in the Pro Tools Reference Guide for Pro Tools 11?
Part IV: Playback and Recording
Chapter 22: MIDI Recording

Quote:
The following Pro Tools options determine whether you can record from a MIDI controller (such as a MIDI keyboard or drum pad):

• Devices that are assigned as a MIDI Controller in the Peripherals dialog (Setup > Peripherals) are ignored when MIDI tracks are recorded. This is to avoid recording data from MIDI control surfaces (such as Command|8).

• To record and play MIDI, the device must be enabled in the MIDI Input Enable dialog. For more information, see “Enabling Input Devices” on page 448.
And the next page, Enabling Input Devices.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Default akai lpk25 connect to protools LE problems

I read all the threads and the one common thing that I can't do is set the peripheral options correctly.

I plug in the lpk 25 into my mac book air(latest OS), which is also hooked up to an avid mbox mini on another USB port, and I see the following stuff:
1) lpk plays through garage band okay
2) when I open setup/peripherals in protools it only gives me two choices
none or m-audio midi
BUT if I choose m-audio and fill in input with the selectable lpk25 listed, I get an error message a little later stating the protools does get the correct answer back from the m-audio keyboard. Well, its not an m-audio keyboard.

3)Note even with the message, protools DOES see the keyboard since if I configure a stereo/inst1 input port and window the midi editor the action of the keyboard generates notes and the score editor shows them.
But I have no sound, and the meter on inst1 port shows no sound.
The mixer widget for inst1 does not allow selecting the lpk25 as an input, and I assume this is because I cannot get it configured in the setup/peripheral window.
one more odd thing: when I open the MAC midi configuration it only shows the
avid mbox entry-- no lpk25.
Also note if I unplug the mbox mini, to see if the lpk can play standalone into the protools LE, I get a message that protools LE won't even open without the mbox mini. So if there is a port conflict between the mini and the keyboard I can't fix it.
Okay that all the gory details So what can I do other than apparently get an m-audio keyboard? Much more expensive and how do I know it will work?