Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery

Old 12-11-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Setting up Digidelivery on my network

Hi

I'm setting up my new Digidelivery. I'd like to keep the box in the other room next to the DSL box and the new router. The rest of the computers in the studio, including the Pro Tools machine, are connected to the network via wirless airport. If the wireless base station is connected to the same router as my Digidelivery, and everything is configured properly, can sessions and audio files be uploaded to Digidelivery via wireless? Is that not advantageous? Should I hook the computer directly to the router via ethernet?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Setting up Digidelivery on my network

short answers: yes, no, yes.

first, Ethernet is a system of layers, the first being the physical layer. If we're comparing Ethernet over copper vs. wireless ... Ethernet over copper is better in almost every way: best bandwidth, best isolation, best security, least expense. Ethernet over wireless is great for extending a LAN to laptops and, just maybe, for certain site considerations where you cannot easily run a single CAT5 cable between rooms.

You will never be able to send your data over the wireless link faster than a five-dollar CAT5 cable. If your wireless transceivers are close to each other, passing though only drywall at 90-degree angles, then you're probably seeing the best data rate possible over that medium.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:57 PM

So, it sounds like it will work, because both the computer and the Digidelivery are on the same internal network. But it will be slow(er), depending on how my wireless network is set up.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:41 PM

Yup, that is correct. and I suppose I should correct my statement that Ethernet would encompass a wireless implementation. for the record, Ethernet and Wi-Fi are on the data link layer, and wire or radio are obviously on the physical layer in the OSI model.

my foot tastes delicious.