Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-02-2003, 08:25 PM

Default What is the best all in one sound module?

To those of us who survived New Years Eve.

I'm looking at getting a all in one sound module and so far I have looked at the following;

Roland XV5080, XV3080
Korg Triton Rack

I have heard about the Yamaha Motif havn't heard the sounds yet and is there a newer module that is better from Yamaha.

What are your sugestions.

Peace, Protools Rulez
Old 01-02-2003, 09:18 PM

Default Re: What is the best all in one sound module?

dont know the xvs , have some jvs and to be honest ... they are boring as hell [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
sure you have access to a hughe sound library but the sounds themselves dont inspire me at all .
its probably ok to have a unit like those and like i said i never heard the xv series , but all i can say , buy some used stuff and buy a lot [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

my favourites are so far :

a sampler and some cool cds ( if you know some people who are doing the same like you do you can always TRADE some cool sounds )
keyboards with tons of realtime editing knobs ( its the most fun playing with those tools )
access virus , the best unit i have ( its not the same without the knobs , the tdm version sounds good but like i said , its not the same )
kurzweil modules ( even the old ones , they sound great , pianos & strings , 101% )
maybe some older keys like a juno or dx7 ( you never find those sounds anywhere else and they have a SOUL )
a korg m1 , t3 etc will never hurt and has its own sound as well .
maybe a jv1080 or 2080 .

if i was you i would pick up 3-5 used pieces , and you will have 30-50000³ times more fun compared to buying 1 module . it really can go on your nervs .
Old 01-02-2003, 09:26 PM

Thanks 5D1U,

I live in an appartment and dont have too much room I know I will start getting heaps of gear for when I decide to buy a house. Just want to keep a simple rig for now. I like your sugestions though. What is the best Kerswell Unit out there? under $2000 US

Keep it comming people!!
Old 01-02-2003, 10:38 PM

The 5080 is a good workhorse and not a bad suggestion for an all-around sound module. It's really powerful. Plus it's expandable and the Roland expansion cards have been pretty good in the past.

With any Roland gear keep in mind the expansion cards. The orchestral expansion card has great string pads and there are hidden gems on some of the others.

The Korg stuff is really hit or miss. I have the TR-Rack and some sounds are cool and some are garbage. Korg brass, woodwinds, and pianos are especially bad. I personally don't like the Korg sound in general, although there are some nice sounds here and there.

Save up for a Kurz 2600 if you want a great piece of gear. Sounds fantastic. The piano sounds and organ sounds already in it are great, plus you have access to the whole history of Kurz stuff and a nasty sampler to boot.

If you are into electronica stuff, the Supernova and Supernova II from Novation are awesome, but they are not all-around sound modules.

Those are my favorites, YMMV.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:00 AM

ok 1 more time [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

having a sampler only : it can hurt if you need to load sounds & sounds & sounds . it really stops you from trying if its your only device .

having f.ex. a xv only : that hurts as well , cause you cant realy manipulate those sounds .
if you havent done it before you might think " well i dont need that option " , believe me you need it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] the expansions , ok you can add some to have quick access , but they are too expensive . you get 1000 of kicks & snares on cd for 50 $$$ . why buy a 8-16 mb expansion . your not that lazy , are you ???

for 2000 u$$ you´ll get all the stuff i am talking about . the best kurzweil ??? dont know ??? just can add , if you can get a " classic " kurzweil in a good shape used , thats good value . new gear ( especially synths ) is a waste of money .

i understand your " space " problem , maybe you can get along with some nice softsynths and some hardware as well ??? but if you have a small rack or a little bigger one doesnt make much difference . and it has more lights , thats a good thing to have [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

the emagic rhodes plugin is great !

you can layer sounds with a lot of soundsources way better . any module has its own sound . to give it a realistic feel , its good to have fx options as well as some real time filters .

good luck
Old 01-03-2003, 05:53 AM

Roland JV1080! Fill one of these suckers with expansion cards and you have a powerhouse! I've been using mine for 4 years you still hear new songs with JV1080 patches, this thing excels at string and pads, the acoustic guitars, basses and brass are very good. I purchased the new XV 5080 returned it 2 days later, not a huge improvement over the 1080 in my opinion(sound wise)

Triton is just a beast, even though the Piano and brass are just horrible, you need this module. It has some of the coolest most complex sound group out there, it sounds a little brite (kind of korgs trade mark) patches bust through any mix but if you are doing pop music it is a must, had a TR Rack but only half the patches where usable. Triton is a gig inprovement in my opinion.

Haven't touched a Yamaha since the DX-7, too thin for my taste.

Have a Emu E4XT Sampler, LOVE THE THING! But never could work as my only piece, just got done with my first scoring project used it a ton, they fit in really well when you need stuff to sound real acoustic, Synth patches a kind of weak. Had a Akai but I think the converters sounded a bit warmer on the Emu,

Well good luck!
R.J.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:11 AM

As long time keyboardist who has owned almost everything every made it seems like, there certainly are many great options out there these days. But it's really going to depend on what kind of music you're doing, what types of sounds you want, etc. For example, the Triton stuff is very popular for Hip-Hop/R&B music. To me the sounds are wonderful, but not nearly as expressive as say the Roland XV technology or a Kurzweil. The ultimate in synthesis technology is by far the Kurzweil K2600 but it comes with a hefty price. You're not going to get the most quantity with Kurzweil, but you'll certainly get the most quality IMHO.

I personally owned (2) Kurzweil K2500's, (1) EMU E4XT Ultra, (2) EMU E5000 Ultra's, (1) Roland XV5080, (2) Roland JV1080's, (2) Ensoniq MR Racks, (1) Trinity Rack, (1) Triton, (1) Yamaha EX5, Clavia Nord Lead2, EMU XL1, and several others.... yeah, A LOT OF STUFF. The problem was no one product was the complete solution for EVERY job. I would say my Kurzweil's and EMU's were the work-horses because I used samples extensively, but I had some patches that were 100mb alone. Have you considered a custom PC-rig running GigaStudio? I hate to say it because I used to make good money on the hardware, but Giga is where it's at these days. I can't tell you how many keyboardists, producers, and studios I work with these days that are investing their money into a turn-key PC system with Gigastudio and libraries. It's certainly replaced my above setup and I was soooo anti-the softsynth/sampler world until I tried it. Now I'm hooked! All you need is an ADAT bridge on your PT system and lightpipe over completely digital. Such a system IS the future....
Old 01-03-2003, 06:38 AM

For what it's worth. I mainly use the XV-5080 nowadays. Fast, flexible and convenient. Great sounds. Good internal effects (a lot of them). It's really a killer with the orchestral expansion cards and the SRX-cards for piano and drums. Plus it has all sound banks of the JV-1080 and JD-990 next to its own 5080 sounds. And it has 128 voices and 32 channels. (Sorry RJ, I think the XV is definitely better than the JV.)

I have never been a fan of any Kurzweil, though it is the best choice if you fancy the girl at the desk of the repair center... you will get the chance to see her a lot. (Could have been just my bad luck. Over and over again.)

Recently I checked a K2600x and compared it with the XV-5080. For me the Roland was the absolute winner. I could not find one sound in the Kurzweil that was better than the equivalent in the XV. But this is a personal thing. I know that many people adore Kurzweil. So have a listen to both of them. And compare specs, like polyphony, outputs and how-many-channels-multi-timbral. Kurzweil can be disappointing in these fields.

And about manipulation. It is my finding that a good sound needs no manipulation. A good sound needs to be played well. You don't manipulate a real grand piano or real saxophone. It is a good instrument or it isn't. You 'manipulate' its sound by the way you play.
This is of course different when using analog style synth sounds, but for those you would anyhow be better of with something like a Virus.
Having said that, it very much is possible to manipulate sounds on the XV. It has filter and ADSR and so on. You can perform a filter sweep on the machine itself and record this into your sequencer, because parameter changes are transmitted through midi-out.

Standard advice is applicable: listen and judge yourself.

Good luck,

bill
Old 01-03-2003, 07:12 AM

Has anyone checked out the new Kurtzweil Micro-Ensemble? It seems like they've put a lot of their new sounds in this box.

At 1/2 rack space and US$439 list, you could get that and a JV-1010 or XV-2020 and still only use a single rack space.

I know these are kind of stripped down boxes as far as programming goes, but would be a relatively low-cost, low-space way to get a mix of sounds.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Ray
Old 01-03-2003, 07:44 AM

Thanks yall

I didn't expect to get such enthusiastic descriptive responses. This has helped me alot.

At the moment I have a Roland XP-80 It has some major midi Issues It can only handle a few at a time and It just gets on my nervs. as I want everything in a rack I am swaying toward the XV5080 as I have the Roland Drum and Bass expansion card and might as well use it.

As for samplers I do have a MPC 2000 XL but I'm so freeking lazy and only really use it once in the blue moon for doing drum loops.

I'm hanging out for a sampler that can store all the sounds I want on it without having to load them over and over. and the Idear of having two computers is a distraction even though I could have it for the same price.

Thanks for your comments every one I cant wait till I have the studio up and running so I can post my stuff for you fine produser to hear.

Appologies for my spelling (I've ADD & Dyslexia) If I do my double check I will be disconected.

Rock on
Kitch