Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2019, 03:17 AM

Default Pro Tools 12 is all the sudden not recognizing my iLok licence

I've been working in PT12 for the last months without a problem, and then all the sudden it quit on me unexpectedly yesterday. When I tried to re-launch, it says it's not activated. My iLok licence seems fine in the iLok licence manager. It seems to be a PT-related issue, since other softwares accepts the iLok.

I did a fresh install, but the problem persists. I also tried it on a second computer, where I also have PT12 installed, and it was the exact same issue there. Pro Tools ran fine on both computers up until yesterday.

I'm on Mac and El Capitan. This is what I get when trying to start it:

I then click "Activate" and I get this:

When clicking "Show locations" I get this, but I cannot select the iLok. All I can do is click "Done", which only brings me back to the previous window.

This is what my iLok manager looks like:

Any ideas on what happened? It's been working flawlessly for the past months.

Last edited by sb_stefan; 09-22-2019 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 is all the sudden not recognizing my iLok licence

Couple of things:
You're on El Crapitan which is probably the worst OSX ever foisted upon the public by Apple. Can you go to Sierra? Second - what's in your iLok Cloud - what programs do you have there? Hopefully not PT although I see it in your physical iLok.

QAPLA!
Old 09-22-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Couple of things:
You're on El Crapitan which is probably the worst OSX ever foisted upon the public by Apple. Can you go to Sierra? Second - what's in your iLok Cloud - what programs do you have there? Hopefully not PT although I see it in your physical iLok.
I have Pro Tools 12.4.0 and the Pro Tools Operating System Compatibility Chart recommends no higher than El Capitan.

I have no idea what's in my iLok Cloud. How do I check that? I haven't touched anything in my iLok since this problem occurred.

EDIT: Here's a pic of my iLok Cloud:

I have no idea what theses things ("Heat" & "Eleven") are.

Last edited by sb_stefan; 09-22-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:40 AM

Heat is a console emulation and has been talked about on the DUC for many a time. I suggest you do a search to find out what it's all about. And Eleven is a guitar amp simulation - again check here on the DUC. Or make Google your friend to check on them both.

There's a difference between what's considered compatible by Avid and what works. For quite a while I had PT 11.3.2 running on Sierra OSX 10.12.6 with the only issue being to import audio I couldn't use the menu option but had to drag in audio via OSX Finder. It's probably the same for you; I'd suggest making a bootable clone backup of your system (you do that anyways right?) using a program like Carbon Copy Cloner. Then either partition your system drive and put Sierra on that and test out how it works for you. Another option is that instead of going up a level in OSX to go down a level to OSX 10.10.5. OSX may or may not be the issue but either way El Crapitan really should get ditched - you'll find no love for it around the DUC. There's a reason it's called what it's called and it isn't good

QAPLA!
Old 09-24-2019, 09:09 AM

Default I have a licence for Pro Tools 12, but Application Manager gives me Pro Tools 2018.12

I have a licence for PT12 as can be seen here:

But when I go in the Avid Application Manager I can only access PT 2018.12, which, from what I understand, is not the same as Pro Tools 12.

Also, when I go on Avid's website and try and find a download there, it says I should access it under "My products and subscriptions", but I don't see it there:

This all started with this, which made me try a clean install.

Can someone please tell me what's going on here? Should I not be able to access the software I once purchased? This is very frustrating and any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Heat is a console emulation and has been talked about on the DUC for many a time. I suggest you do a search to find out what it's all about. And Eleven is a guitar amp simulation - again check here on the DUC. Or make Google your friend to check on them both.

There's a difference between what's considered compatible by Avid and what works. For quite a while I had PT 11.3.2 running on Sierra OSX 10.12.6 with the only issue being to import audio I couldn't use the menu option but had to drag in audio via OSX Finder. It's probably the same for you; I'd suggest making a bootable clone backup of your system (you do that anyways right?) using a program like Carbon Copy Cloner. Then either partition your system drive and put Sierra on that and test out how it works for you. Another option is that instead of going up a level in OSX to go down a level to OSX 10.10.5. OSX may or may not be the issue but either way El Crapitan really should get ditched - you'll find no love for it around the DUC. There's a reason it's called what it's called and it isn't good
Thank you for your answer! I have downgraded to Yosemite (10.5.5) now and the problem persists. However, I think have a new problem on my hands now, which I describe here (that might explain why my clean install didn't accept my licence).

Last edited by sb_stefan; 09-24-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:16 AM

Default Re: I have a licence for Pro Tools 12, but Application Manager gives me Pro Tools 201

Application Manager is crapware, with warnings about it all over DUC, with lots of notes repeated on how to uninstall it (run the unibstaller it ships with)

... so why are you using it? Uninstall it now.

As for stuff missing in your Avid account. What you see there looks a bit different to mine, do any downloads shows up under "Annual Upgrade and Support Plan"? (I have no idea, I have that Plan and see a different layout with "Pro Tools" as the top item).

If you are stuck here I would create a (free) registration/activation support case. http://avid.force.com/Support/RegistrationCaseCreation.

One reasons stuff does not show up in an Avid.com account is people sometimes accidentally have created two accounts. When you create that support case I would give Avid any email addresses that might possibly be associated with your account(s) so they can search. Avid might also want info about where/when you purchased Pro Tools. If that is handy just give it. Now why App Manager is confused here may be the same reason stuff is not showing up in Avid.com, but I would still stop using it.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-24-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:30 AM

What *exact* version of Pro Tools 12 are you trying to reinstall? Please double check. It is very easy to say grab 12.6 and try to install that, which will not work if you only have a license for earlier versions of Pro Tools 12.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What *exact* version of Pro Tools 12 are you trying to reinstall? Please double check. It is very easy to say grab 12.6 and try to install that, which will not work if you only have a license for earlier versions of Pro Tools 12.
I'm not grabbing any version, since there is none in my products list. I was running 12.4.0 before this all started, and when I tried to do a clean install from the application manager (which I didn't know sucked) there was only PT 2018.12 available for me. Without noticing that it was the wrong version (I only saw the "12") I downloaded it, but for obvious reasons, my licence didn't work.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_stefan View Post
I'm not grabbing any version, since there is none in my products list. I was running 12.4.0 before this all started, and when I tried to do a clean install from the application manager (which I didn't know sucked) there was only PT 2018.12 available for me. Without noticing that it was the wrong version (I only saw the "12") I downloaded it, but for obvious reasons, my licence didn't work.
Gotcha, please see my comment on your other thread and try stuff there or open a support case.

BTW if you only have an old Pro Tools 12 license that works with Pro Tols 12.5 and earlier you should see the error ""You are trying to run a newer version of Pro Tools than allowed by your license. You can uninstall this version of Pro Tools and reinstall any version of Pro Tools that is supported by your license, or visit your MyAvid account to renew your upgrade plan." when you try to install it. So not what youa re getting in any case, but if you do see that one the fix should be easy -- I just want to mention that as it has caught up so many people.