Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2019

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:25 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 16,854
Default Re: New Apple Mac mini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
“I think we designed ourselves into a bit of a thermal corner, if you will,” one of Apple’s top executives reportedly said.
Means what? The current spec has no issues. Want to double the GPU performance (of course you do, otherwise your PT session looks sluggish) then you have an issue
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:25 PM
FilterDecay FilterDecay is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 669
Default Re: New Apple Mac mini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I'd take the trashcan any day. Upgradeability-wise; you cannot add TB to cheesegrater but you can add PCIe to a trashcan. Noise levels? Trashcan wins again. Performance? Trashcan.

And this thread is about current Mac Mini -- sorry folks, my comparison to current Mac Pro derailed the thread.
The derail is perfectly fine as the question was should I buy x.

You haven't said why you need tb. I assume its for faster drive speeds? You can get pretty close with a usb 3 card.

as for performance lets look at those 2 i linked and see the performance difference...

https://browser.geekbench.com/macs/250

I dont think the difference is worth the extra money. Especially considering those arent real benches and a 2012 macpro will not throttle like the 2013 will.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:28 PM
FilterDecay FilterDecay is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 669
Default Re: New Apple Mac mini?

anyways the op should wait till june 3rd to potentially see what the new mac pro modular looks like. They maybe showing it off then.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:36 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 16,854
Default Re: New Apple Mac mini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
You haven't said why you need tb.
EVERYTHING there is to be used can be used via TB better or easier. There is no reason for PCIe any longer as if you have a special cards such as HDX you can have TB enclosure for it.

2013 MP has six thunderbolts, compared to three PCIe of a cheesegrater, so in addition to that HDX3 (in an enclosure) a current (!) MP can still drive three 5K displays (one via HDMI) *and* three full speed (not SATA) storage.

Why I need it? Well for a simple reason, I've been using Apple TB display since day one, so for me a laptop or a trashcan is more feasible than a cheesegrater even if everything else was equal. Of course I *could* use different display but downgrade to cheesegrater with so little price difference just sounds stupid. Even if CPU performance is not so much of a gamechanger, graphics performance is on another planet compared to cheesegrater (especially if you run two or more displays).
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:37 PM
FilterDecay FilterDecay is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 669
Default Re: New Apple Mac mini?

https://youtu.be/737dCFBqO4I?t=453

The whole thing is interesting but I linked to the thermals of the new macmini
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:37 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 16,854
Default Re: New Apple Mac mini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
anyways the op should wait till june 3rd to potentially see what the new mac pro modular looks like. They maybe showing it off then.
Anyone who can wait, should wait until the new hardware is out. Anyone who cannot, should buy what one needs today. Simple truth that never goes out of fashion.
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:48 PM
FilterDecay FilterDecay is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 669
Default Re: New Apple Mac mini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
EVERYTHING there is to be used can be used via TB better or easier. There is no reason for PCIe any longer as if you have a special cards such as HDX you can have TB enclosure for it.

2013 MP has six thunderbolts, compared to three PCIe of a cheesegrater, so in addition to that HDX3 (in an enclosure) a current (!) MP can still drive three 5K displays (one via HDMI) *and* three full speed (not SATA) storage.

Why I need it? Well for a simple reason, I've been using Apple TB display since day one, so for me a laptop or a trashcan is more feasible than a cheesegrater even if everything else was equal. Of course I *could* use different display but downgrade to cheesegrater with so little price difference just sounds stupid. Even if CPU performance is not so much of a gamechanger, graphics performance is on another planet compared to cheesegrater (especially if you run two or more displays).

look at those computers I linked. The price difference once you add in all of the extras you need to make a trashcan function like a normal computer put it beyond most peoples shopping lists. also just look at the specs of each computer. The 2012 macpro is so much better for audio.

To be clear I wouldn't buy anything right now with aple so close to possibly announcing a new computer that at the very least will tank prices on all this ancient crap.

If they dont release a real computer I will soldier on with my ancestral 2012 12 core mac pro.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:53 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 16,854
Default Re: New Apple Mac mini?

Perhaps a wrong place for a 2012/2013 MP contest, don't you think?

For me the extra cost for using a "cheap" 2012 would be getting a legacy display, for you the extra cost for using a "current" 2013 would be getting an external enclosure for your card(s).

In the end you would still like the trashcan more, you just don't have one now.

I on the other hand have had a cheesegrater, a watercooled G5, an original G5, and a dont-even-remember-the-model-G4-tower.

Is this optimal setup? Nothing never is. However, this is the best I can imagine today.
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-28-2019, 03:07 PM
FilterDecay FilterDecay is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 669
Default Re: New Apple Mac mini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Perhaps a wrong place for a 2012/2013 MP contest, don't you think?

For me the extra cost for using a "cheap" 2012 would be getting a legacy display, for you the extra cost for using a "current" 2013 would be getting an external enclosure for your card(s).

In the end you would still like the trashcan more, you just don't have one now.

I on the other hand have had a cheesegrater, a watercooled G5, an original G5, and a dont-even-remember-the-model-G4-tower.

Is this optimal setup? Nothing never is. However, this is the best I can imagine today.
Legacy display is a cost factor? Its literally any display except an apple display. incidentally the thunderbolt display was discontinued in 2016. You can use the trashcan and live in that world. You have spent the money needed to work with it and so you are vested in its system. Dont expect others to do that literally 6 days from when a new computer is announced.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-28-2019, 03:08 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 16,854
Default Re: New Apple Mac mini?

PCIe-TB enclosure is a cost factor?

Lets just leave this 2012/2013 MP cockfight, been hijacking this thread long enough.
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Apple Mac mini 2012 quad i7 2.6 in Sonnet XMAC MINI SERVER rack Jamie Mac Buy & Sell 1 07-02-2017 11:50 AM
Apple Mini Recommendation digimog 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 2 10-11-2013 02:55 PM
New Apple Mac Mini Server dr sound Post - Surround - Video 2 10-21-2009 02:34 PM
QUESTION ABOUT APPLE MINI soprano 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 2 12-06-2005 09:13 AM
Apple Mini's ?? how are they with pro tools? AcceptingSilence 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 0 10-14-2005 09:56 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com