Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2013, 03:20 PM

Default Avid -> Pro Tools -> Avid

Having a hard time figuring this out. Thought with the newer versions of both PT an MC were more compatible.

I get an aaf and video from avid, import to pro tools and would like to send back what would be like an aaf or at least a session.

I know this is odd. Believe me it's not normal.

I'm not interested in sending back stems or masters, but lot's of cuts, regions and maybe some plugins (digi stuff only)

It was my estimation that later versions of these apps brought the ability to speak the same language and work together in a tighter collaboration.

Any help on this?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Avid -> Pro Tools -> Avid

Several probs:
New media will get made at both ends most of the time due to either embedding media or padding to frame boundaries making relinking broken
More importantly the features have been put into mc to export more stuff in the aaf but no such features have been put in the digitranslator code on the pt side.
Last i heard even volume auto didnt get put into pt exported aafs. Let alone plugins panning or automation. Easy enough to test on the pt side.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Nope, nothing gets through except channel order and width of tracks and clips.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 03-04-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevarela View Post
Having a hard time figuring this out. Thought with the newer versions of both PT an MC were more compatible.

I get an aaf and video from avid, import to pro tools and would like to send back what would be like an aaf or at least a session.

I know this is odd. Believe me it's not normal.

I'm not interested in sending back stems or masters, but lot's of cuts, regions and maybe some plugins (digi stuff only)

It was my estimation that later versions of these apps brought the ability to speak the same language and work together in a tighter collaboration.

Any help on this?
AVID MC does not automate RTAS plugins. They are only static and also post avid levels so behave completely different than PT plugins where track-level is post-plugin
MC uses a different signal flow.
RTAS plugins do translate from MC to PT (assuming they are installed) but are pretty much useless due to the different signal flow.

There currently is no really effective way of sending stuff back to MC without losing info unless you send bounces/stems.

frank.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 AM

Out of curiosity, what happens to (PT) edits that don't fall on (MC) frame boundaries? Do they get extended, shortened, or moved to the nearest?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 AM

Default Avid -> Pro Tools -> Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by idris View Post
Out of curiosity, what happens to (PT) edits that don't fall on (MC) frame boundaries? Do they get extended, shortened, or moved to the nearest?
PT creates new media on export, so the edit can be where you made it.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 AM

Sorry, if that answer's my question, I don't understand the answer:
In MC, the editor puts an hard cut at 10:01:02:03
In PT, I move it a quarter of a frame later to 10:01:02:03.25
When it goes back into MC as an AAF, where is the cut?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idris View Post
Sorry, if that answer's my question, I don't understand the answer:
In MC, the editor puts an hard cut at 10:01:02:03
In PT, I move it a quarter of a frame later to 10:01:02:03.25
When it goes back into MC as an AAF, where is the cut?
The MC will have thousands of tiny dummy-clips in the timeline that fill up the space to the nearest full frame.