Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-31-2000, 08:08 AM

Default Can\'t import audio from referenced movies

I stitch together three acts of a show into one movie file using QT Pro.
This works fine, until I try to import the audio from the movie. I get a program error.

jim
Old 07-31-2000, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Can\'t import audio from referenced movies

A semi-educated guess:

I think you can copy (or extract) audio from a QT movie only if there is a separate audio track. So look in EDIT>ENABLE (or Extract, or Delete)TRACKS... to see if there are distinct audio tracks. If not, I believe you can't separate the audio. But if there ARE distinct audio tracks I believe you should be able to extract or copy or import the audio.

As I said, this is a guess from a guy who's just starting to discover the fun of QTPro... especially the layering and transparency features for the images... as well as the "ADD audio with SCALING" feature... this feature is similar to (tho crudely so) PT's "Time Trimmer". It lets you rescale an audio or video track to the size of the movie to which you're adding it. For instance, take a 10 second audio track and "ADD WITH SCALING" it to a 15 second movie, it will lengthen the audio (and lower the pitch) to fit the longer movie. Or, take a 15 second video track and "ADD WITH SCALING" it to a 10 sec audio movie and it will time compress the video to fit the shorter audio movie.

Hope this helps you figure it out...

--victor

~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by vici (edited July 31, 2000).]
Old 07-31-2000, 03:56 PM

I believe PT doesn't recognize compressed audio in QT-formats (MACE etc.)
Try 'Save audio as AIFF' (Quicktime Pro/Export movie as...) and after that maybe delete the audiotrack all together then import the AIFF into PT...
I have had similar experiences: been there done this.

Hope this helps

------------------
Arno Peeters
www.tapetv.nl
Old 08-01-2000, 06:47 AM

victor, thanks for your educated guess, but if you get info on a reference movie it indicates that a soundtrack is contained in the new movie.

arno, these audio tracks are not compressed. They are 44k 16bit aiff.

The easiest solution is to import the audio directly from all the parent movies, but I was just wondering why I can't do it directly.

thanks,

jim