Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Repair an Emu Proteus er toss it?

about a month ago i bought a roland pk5 midi controller to use with an Emu Proteus sound module that i bought new about 12 yrs back..i was hopin to use this for bass sounds and it worked great..as luck would have it my proteus died about a week after i got the pk5 and though i can still midi to a keyboard i have, i was hopin to not need a keyboard to use with the pk5 pedals..anyways after talking to the repair tech for emu he said it would be 140-180 bucks to replace the chip that we figured the unit fried.....so to repair the unit and ship it there and backk i can see id have over 200 bucks invested......i paid a grand for the thing when i bought it 12 yrs back but maybe im a fool for repairing something like this in this day and age.......im a guitar guy so i dont really know what keyboard players do when their rig needs repair..any thoughts? chas
Old 01-13-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Repair an Emu Proteus er toss it?

I can't imagine what kind of chip that costs $150. I've had my Proteus go down a couple of times and it was a simple diode. Check out some local tv or electronic repair shops and they should be able to check this thing out.
TT
Old 01-13-2005, 09:26 PM

I know this is slightly off topic, but, the proteus 2000 and the newer emu modules have a space to put in a rom card for the previous proteus 1,2+3 modules all on one rom
I forgot the name of the rom..but now that it has been discontinued, they are hard to come by..
however, if you do find one, you would have the all same sounds, the proteus 2+3 sounds, plus the sounds from the newer emu sound module.

Sad news about emu.... all the proteus modules have been discontinued (even the newer ones)..bummer..
nonetheless, there is a Proteus X Desktop Sound module now for 150.00 on windows.
Lots of hardware synths are slowly becoming a thing of the past, but I do love the low latency they provide.

anyway, to get to the point..and what I'm getting at is, I'd prob toss it. if it can't be fixed for less than 150.00.
There are more powerful solutions out there.

if it was a proteus 2000 I would fix it though.

And, If you're wondering what it's worth, there is an auction for a proteus 1 on ebay for 150.00, that has bids on it..so it's your call on it's worth

ultimately the decision is...what is it worth to YOU in your rack.
hope my advice helped.

try selling it on ebay or somethin if you decide to toss it, you might find someone who might use it for parts
so it wouldn't be a total loss

good luck
Old 01-16-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine what kind of chip that costs $150. I've had my Proteus go down a couple of times and it was a simple diode. Check out some local tv or electronic repair shops and they should be able to check this thing out.
TT
yea thats insane......ill think on it for a month......had i learned to do that in my younger yrs id still own several old strats and les pauls hehe.thanks for the replies......chas