Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-26-2006, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Intel Core2Duo ... anyone got one working yet?

Hey cdxpat

Thanks for the reply.

Do you find the 7950 noisy? My current AMD rig with various fans etc. is pretty noisy so I'm being pedantic with the next one. What case do you use? I'm thinking of the Coolermaster Praetorian. The good old Antec Sonata II might be safer (quieter) but I'm a sucker for styling! This Lian-Li is gorgeous but it's $500AU ...

So the MoBo sound is good? I've just noticed that a P5N32 - SLI Premium has just been release. It's supposed to have even better sound and 3xPCIe x16 sockets for (Quad)SLI and a Physics card - pretty spec huh! Do you find any backgound noise coming thru the onboard sound? Again my old ASUS board is noisy - the on board sound beeps and whirrs and quietly burbles away all the time unless you're actually playing something through it. What case are you using?

Cheers

Doogz
Old 09-26-2006, 01:33 PM

Hey all-

I'm also ready to jump to the Core2Duo from my lowly Athlon 64 3200+....to think that i thought this chip was blazing fast before.

I'm thinking i'll also go with E6600 and the 965 chipset.

Was there an issue with ram choice, and size of the power supply needed for everything?

Also, I can't run dual on my Protools 6.9, can i?

Thanks,
Cyrus
Old 09-26-2006, 11:44 PM

Hey Cyrus, Glad to hear your plan. as far as ram issues I am not sure? I've got a few observations. first check the motherboards, Mine Asus p5b and most 965 chipsets support 2 gig at 800mhz more at 667.
Except for hearing about some trouble with ocz, people have had good sucess with allot of choices, you might just want to go with something thats working. I will let everyone know how the Crucial Balistic works asap. As far as power goes it sort of depends on the video card, ram and drives you plan to run, or if you intend to overclock . I think you might want to get a healthy one, 450w plus, I went with 550w, and don't buy the cheapest if you can avoid it. I tried to strike a balance between cost and quality, but there are so many choices and only so much money.
I think you are correct, 7.0 is the first written for dual processors although I think you can still run 6.9 if you wanted? anybody?

I am just stopping for the night, power supply and mobo are in and the last of my parts will be here thursday. So except for the monitors this is the list.

CASE NZXT \ APOLLO BLACK NP RT ( with lots of blue light's )
PSU ROSEWILL RP550V2-S-SL 550W RT
MB ASUS P5B P965 775
CPU INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6600
MEM 2 X 1 GIG PC6400 800MHZ CRUCIAL BALISTIC BL2KIT12864AA804 R
VIDEO LEADTEK WINFAST PX7300GT TDH R DAUL DVI
DVD LITEON SHM-165H6S RAM BK R
HDD 2 X SEAGATE BARRACUDA HD 250 ST 7K 16M SATA2 ST3250620AS

So all I need to do is grab a monitor or two locally and I am ready. It looks like monitors are dropping in price pretty fast. I am on a limited budget now I originally planned 2 wide 19"s but now I wonder. Microcenter has a 22" for 299.00. What are you using?

Being an old rocker I could not resit the blue lights so I got a blue led Sunbeam mouse and also their blue back light keyboard. I am usually in the dark anyway!

I should be running this weekend, I will keep you posted.
I was not going to be first to mention it, but since doogz had brought it up anyway, these machines were pretty much made to overclock, I can't say I won't give it a try.

Bob Legs 131 dverbs, outstanding!

Roll Over Beethoven, Bob
Old 09-28-2006, 10:37 PM

Any progress from you guys? My case and power supply have not yet arrived. Can't wait to build this X6800!
Old 09-30-2006, 07:24 AM

Just got my core 2 E6400 on Asrock 775Dual M/B with 2 x 512Mb 667Mhz DDR2 RAM up and running - I can confirm that it's damn fast and it seems to be pretty stable. Had to tweak the Bios to get it happy, though - it wasn't detecting my RAM speed properly (crash! crash! crash!) - apparently this is fixed in a Bios update.

All good.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:13 AM

Hey, im planning on building a computer with the Intel core 2 extreme processor (X6800) and am looking forward to see if it is compatible with Pro Tools or not.

As soon as anyone knows, please post!

I dont know yet which motherboard il be getting, there arent many that support the X6800, and i havent seen any with firewire-b ports - which would be handy for an external drive.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:34 AM

Thanks for posting that your got your computer up and running with the Core 2 processor and XP! I personally find this Asrock mobo very interesting because it is so cheap ($60 delivered) and uses the VIA chipset. But you forgot to post how it is running with Pro Tools.

I can think of a few things I would love to hear about, for example,a Davec test, D-Verb count, any errors, which version PT and hardware (Mbox/002), operation with soft synths, general stability...

More input!!!
Old 10-01-2006, 03:23 PM

hey all. i've been following the thread as i research which way i'll go for my first system build, the AMD quad or CORE 2 DUO?? anyway, wanted to share this thread for motherboard comps for the CORE 2 DUO....
CPU MAG review

hope most find it useful. great thread!! peace...mykhal

MY BAD!!! did not realize that the entire article was not posted. did not read far enough anyway, for those that want to read it, there is a free 3 month trial subscription that can be signed up for. again, my bad!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 10-01-2006, 04:46 PM

Hi mykhal c!

Welcome to the post ...

I've had a good old AMD 3200+ (Barton) that has treated me very well over the last few years. I am reluctant to step away from the AMD platform, but the future cannot be ignored! Intel has decisively wrenched back the "bang-for-your-bucks" crown. The results from stock (non-overclocked) middle-of-the range (E6600, E6700) are approaching the territory of the Quadzillas. I haven't seen any results for the Extreme yet (6800) or overclocked models but I believe that they will overtake the quadzilla shortly. All this and running cooler, quieter and using less power ...

In November they will release the first Kentsfield - Intel's Core 2 Quad chip and that will be the real MoFo... when this happens we will put the QUADFATHER up against the Quadzilla!

There can be only one ...

Cheers

Doogz
Old 10-01-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting that your got your computer up and running with the Core 2 processor and XP! I personally find this Asrock mobo very interesting because it is so cheap ($60 delivered) and uses the VIA chipset. But you forgot to post how it is running with Pro Tools.
I've been pretty starved for spare time but I got a chance to do some recording last night on it. Went beautifully. My old system was a P4 2.6Ghz w/HT, 1Gb DDR; new system is Core 2 Duo E6400, 1Gb DDR2 (667Mhz), and projects that would max out the old system on 2048 buffer size are coming up at about 55-60% overall CPU usage on 256 buffer size. And I could browse the web during a bounce to disk and it didn't freak out like my old system! It also feels a lot smoother in terms of UI updates. Couldn't be happier!

I'll try and post DVerb counts next weekend if I get a chance.

Reauthorizing all my plugs has been a total pain in the ass though. First time I've ever really appreciated the iLok... Those ones all came up with no problems.