How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2002, 08:15 AM

Default How to insert / delete time

Hi guys,
I know Nuendo has this feature and I run into the need last week when I'm doing editing for a Christmas play. I need to insert or remove a couple of seconds here and there and I want all the clips from that time forward to move up / back accordingly together. Moving those regions using the grabber is cumbersome.

Is there an insert / delete time feature in PT 5.3 ?
Old 11-07-2002, 09:01 AM

Default Re: How to insert / delete time

group all the tracks and nudge your reasons to insert & delete time.

getting the hang of slip/shuffle modes will help with this kind of thing too.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:23 AM
ACI/ALP Moderator

In a nutshell:

1. Turn on the all group.
2. In shuffle mode, select the location and duration where you would like to insert/delete time.
3. Press delete to delete time, or use the "insert silence" command to insert time.

Voila!

-Eric
Old 11-07-2002, 04:49 PM

Awesome guys ...

thanks a million.

- Haniel

Quote:
Originally posted by ekuehnl:
In a nutshell:

1. Turn on the all group.
2. In shuffle mode, select the location and duration where you would like to insert/delete time.
3. Press delete to delete time, or use the "insert silence" command to insert time.

Voila!

-Eric
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 09-03-2003, 07:17 PM

I'm a recent convert from MOTU/DP and am trying to insert a couple measures into a song. In DP, you just did an "insert measure" command and everything moved, including markers.

In PT 6.1, when I do the "insert silence" command, following the directions described below, everything moves except the memory location markers. Does anybody know how to insert measures or time (or "silence") as Digi calls it, and have the memory locations move right along with all the MIDI, audio, etc?

Thanks very much.

> 1. Turn on the all group.
> 2. In shuffle mode, select the location and duration where you would like to insert/delete time.
> 3. Press delete to delete time, or use the "insert silence" command to insert time.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:34 PM

At the moment this can not be done in Protools, and it is one of most important thing that still is missing (along plugin delay compensation)

The mentioned workarounds are great and work, as long as you don't have markers, complex tempo/bar change information and playlists. But if you have a organized song with markers and things up their, it is horror.

Even worse, with the workarounds mentioned only the top playlists are shuffeled. What if you have a project where as different edits are on playlists? There is absolutly no way to "insert/delete" time now. (Unless you want to do it for all playlists seperatly).

No way, but this is a really important feature that is missing for years, and it is somthing where the workarounds really do not work in many situations.

daniel
Old 09-04-2003, 06:23 PM

If you shift + click in the Marker and tempo timeline when copying and pasting, then the Markers and tempo events, etc. will also be edited with the audio.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 09-07-2003, 02:19 PM

Quote:
If you shift + click in the Marker and tempo timeline when copying and pasting, then the Markers and tempo events, etc. will also be edited with the audio.

In my Software (5.1) sometimes that works, and more often it does not work. Is that something that has been improoved with 6 or 6.1? I just ordered the upgrade, and that would be great news. (However it still does not solve the problem that there is no possibility to also shuffle underline playlists...)

daniel
Old 09-07-2003, 07:50 PM

> If you shift + click in the Marker and tempo timeline when copying and pasting,
> then the Markers and tempo events, etc. will also be edited with the audio.

True, but this doesn't solve the problem.

The problem is that when you insert time, the markers that follow the insertion point do not move.

I.e, if a marker called VERSE 1 is placed at measure 10, and then I "insert" two measures before measure 1, then VERSE 1 marker should move to measure 12 and it doesn't (in PT 6.1).
Old 09-07-2003, 09:14 PM

Quote:
> If you shift + click in the Marker and tempo timeline when copying and pasting,
> then the Markers and tempo events, etc. will also be edited with the audio.

True, but this doesn't solve the problem.

The problem is that when you insert time, the markers that follow the insertion point do not move.

I.e, if a marker called VERSE 1 is placed at measure 10, and then I "insert" two measures before measure 1, then VERSE 1 marker should move to measure 12 and it doesn't (in PT 6.1).
Yes it does.. if you're in the right mode.. Shuffle mode... and it doesn't work when you're selecting MIDI tracks, only Audio tracks.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••