Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2023, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Time for a new Windows computer but have a Couple of questions.

So, doing more research while waiting on the system I have a couple of questions. On the new systems not only is there a SSD m.2 for OS and programs but now they include a M.2-Nvme slot with a PCIE x4 buss which is great but now a question pertaining to DAW's like ProTools, Cubase and others using it in audio production and recording.

Our main work is recording projects with a room full of musicians and lots of mics and we usually at 48K. We don't use Loops or programs like Native instruments.. on a larger project we track up to 16 tracks, then any over dubs or additional instruments as needed then final vocals. Depending on the session and projects some like to mix n the box and some like to mix using my Sony DMXr 100 console with my outboard analog equipment (the Sony has actual analog inserts on the first 12 channels.

In my reading the consensus is Use the SSD for the OS and folks are saying it's fine using a standard 7200 rpm 3 1/2" platter drives to record the audio and that an SSD would be ok, but over kill. Over the years I've used both standard platter drives and SATA SSD's and have not had any issues... (for years I've recorded using standard platter drives since the late 70's (it was expensive back then)

I stated looking at the top end SSD M.2 NVME drives and they are unbelievable low pricing for the fast 2TB drives... well under $150.00 for a 2TB SSD these days... So saying that do I just go ahead and load up the machine with SSD's and put a 2tb NVME on the system board and know that if I need the speed it's there... In that case, would I use it as the Audio Drive vs a platter drive? and, is there any downside by doing that? I typically archive projects on external drives or my NAS.

I was told that now my system wont show up until Monday after noon... so, that has given me some time to ask questions.
Old 07-15-2023, 10:46 PM

I'm not following all the torturous thoughts here. This stuff has been asked about and answered on DUC many times. Why are you ever considering HDD on a modern computer? For anything? They have a great place as backup/archive drives or for storage of extremely large amounts of data. But that's not the case here.

The starting point is you get a single M.2 system drive, you record you audio as well to that system drive, you place your samples on that system drive, for most users if they need more space the likely first thing to do is install additional M.2 drives for sample storage. If you use no samples then that's irrelevent. Just run everything off the boot M.2 drive. If you want a backup boot option and/or other reasons you might want a second M.2 drive in the computer, or maybe not. But your call. Just forget the HDD audio drive nonsense and the old no longer true requirement of you must have a dedicated audio drive.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-16-2023 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I'm not following all the torturous thoughts here. This stuff has been asked about and answered on DUC many times. Why are you ever considering HDD on a modern computer? For anything? They have a great place as backup/archive drives or for storage of extremely large amounts of data. But that's not the case here.

The starting point is you get a single M.2 system drive, you record you audio as well to that system drive, you place your samples on that system drive, for most users if they need more space the likely first thing to do is install additional M.2 drives for sample storage. If you use no samples then that's irrelevent. Just run everything off the boot M.2 drive. If you want a backup boot option and/or other reasons you might want a second M.2 drive in the computer, or maybe not. But your call. Just forget the HDD audio drive nonsense and the old no longer true requirement of you must have a dedicated audio drive.
Darryl, Thank you for the response.... Yea I probably rambled a bit last night. I've been using one type or another SSD drives pretty much as far back as 2013 on a Dell xps 8300 so I'm pretty familiar with them and I agree go all SSD when possible and at this point on the new Computer I am planning on just that. Over the years I've always kept my system drive with only OS and programs and not for audio. I have always felt that if the system crash's I can pull the projects out and off a 2nd drive rather than dealing with my system drive... In the past I had used platter drives that were 7200 RPM Sata drives.

Interesting enough my 8930 died a week ago I had 2 platter drives in it, I pulled each drive and backed everything up off them. I have not looked at the system SSD yet... but it looks like the main board in the 8930 and to change out the board vs buying a new system made more sense.

I was surprised about the NVme 2nd slot on the motherboard and was wondering how many folks use that drive. I can get the top of the line fast 2tb ssd for that slot for under $200 and I've ordered one for the system.

I do find that 2 of the system builders that folks have talked about both say that a platter drive is all you need as an audio drive... and yes for samples and native instruments go SSD ... I don't use samples or Native instruments.. I do have quite a few plugins including the complete Wave's package.

I guess I was more interested in who is using the NVme slot on the motherboard and if so, what for? It is extremely fast.

As for backups going forward, I've just got a new WD Passport external drive that is Cross Compatible USB 3.2 Gen-2 and USB-C™

Thanks again for your reply and suggestions.
Old 07-16-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecanyon1952 View Post
... who is using the NVme slot on the motherboard and if so, what for? ...
My motherboard supports PCIe 4 NVMe's, so I'm using a single WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 4TB https://www.newegg.com/western-digit...-244-_-Product For my own organizational convenience, I have created 3 partitions on this 4TB drive:
1. boot OS
2. Pro Tools sessions (current projects only)
3. samples libraries (not a lot), plus current video projects & some other misc data

I keep a large sound effects library & large iTunes library on externals. Double (or even triple) archives of everything also on externals. Works!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 07-16-2023, 09:39 AM

OK... I was worried that you were thinking about adding a HDD session drive.

Motherboard second (or third slots, etc.) M.2 slots are typically no different than the first, or than using M.2 adapter cards in PCIe slots. They all typically run at the same PCIe speed. If you are adding multiple M.2 cards you should pay attention to the BIOS setup and if/what PCIe lanes are shared between the M.2 slots and PCIe cards. Ideally the motherboard has good heatsinks provided or can accommodate standard M.2 cards with heatsinks for good cooling and provide good cooling airflow. A few mobo M.2 airflow setups I have scratched my head at... but have no experience running them good or bad. But not a bad idea to watch the M.2 drive SMART temps when you start using the system, especially if pushing drives hard (which we typically don't do while running Pro Tools, but maybe backups etc.). If you end up with multiple M.2 drives on PCIe card adapters then hopefully the PC/BIOS supports slot bifurcation to allow used of lower cost/simpler/non-switch based multi-M.2 drive adapter cards (and if you are planning on a large M.2 system, then buy a PC known to support slot bifurcation).
Old 02-17-2024, 05:47 AM

Embarking on a new Windows computer journey is exciting! Consider your needs for performance, storage, and usage patterns. Research components, brands, and user reviews to make an informed decision. Factor in future-proofing for software updates. Happy computing on your upcoming state-of-the-art system.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
OK... I was worried that you were thinking about adding a HDD session drive.

Motherboard second (or third slots, etc.) M.2 slots are typically no different than the first, or than using M.2 adapter cards in PCIe slots. They all typically run at the same PCIe speed. If you are adding multiple M.2 cards you should pay attention to the BIOS setup and if/what PCIe lanes are shared between the M.2 slots and PCIe cards. Ideally the motherboard has good heatsinks provided or can accommodate standard M.2 cards with heatsinks for good cooling and provide good cooling airflow. A few mobo M.2 airflow setups I have scratched my head at... but have no experience running them good or bad. But not a bad idea to watch the M.2 drive SMART temps when you start using the system, especially if pushing drives hard (which we typically don't do while running Pro Tools, but maybe backups etc.). If you end up with multiple M.2 drives on PCIe card adapters then hopefully the PC/BIOS supports slot bifurcation to allow used of lower cost/simpler/non-switch based multi-M.2 drive adapter cards (and if you are planning on a large M.2 system, then buy a PC known to support slot bifurcation).
thanks for good informetion.