Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2002, 04:57 PM

Default Anti-Piracy = hell for the paying user II : the return

Since the last thread on this subject that I started I have discovered something new :

"""Renewable licences.""""

This is OUTRAGEOUS (I mean it)

If you haven't experienced this yet, here it goes:
After having authorized your software with the challenge response system you would think that your are done until next time you change your computer ?
Well...you are wrong ! after a few weeks you suddenly get a message when starting PT saying that your registration has expired : yes EXPIRED. You have 14 days to re-register.
This happened to me with Serato Pitch n' time.
Just imagine : what would happen if Serato went out of business ? Now for the first time we have a case of the "user sinks with the ship !?!?"
I have a 20 year old Urei compressor and still use it. I want to be able to use Pitch 'n Time in twenty years if I so desire, without it dying on me. I have paid for it, I deserve the right to use it on an unlimited basis, period.

Recently I also got a strange email from Mezzotechnologies :

"This email concerns your copy of Mezzo (serial number xxx). The authorization for this software renews every six months. Since that date is coming up in about a month, we are sending you this email which contains a NEW RESPONSE CODE for your system."

So here we have a new member of the club....

THIS IS C.R.A.Z.Y This is the first time I see software makers actually boobytrapping legitimate software !
Just imagine this nightmare scenario, if you have about 25 plugins (not uncommon) with licences that expire every 6 month (Serato is even shorter). That means re-registering 50 times every year... Imagine that in a 4 room studio complex. You will end up paying someone as "licence tracker"...

I really feel disgusted as I feel that they are biting the hands that feed them...

for those wanting to read the first series of posts on this topic follow this link:

orignal thread
Old 05-12-2002, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Anti-Piracy = hell for the paying user II : the return

What you are saying is not the worst of it. I just upgraded to HD and paid the $249.00 to upgrade my Wave Mechanics plugins for HD. They gladly took my credit card and sent me the software upgrade. All was fine until I went to authorize my iLok. SoundBlender and Speed authorized fine, but PitchBlender and PitchDoctor said there was not an authorization for them on my authorization card.

I call Wave Mechanics and they could not believe this was happening. I had to send a complete profile of my computer and the authorization card for them to forward on to PACE. I am now into my third week with no authorizations. I have sessions using these plugins that need to be finished and I can not work on them.
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page
Old 05-13-2002, 07:38 AM

I miss the good old Floppy Authorization.

Till this day I have never had a Problem

And with the Monte Method Your always backed up!
Old 05-14-2002, 05:55 PM

Wave Mechanics sent me a new authorization card today and all is well.
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page
Old 05-15-2002, 08:03 AM

Nubus-

Damn Straight!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnGalt:
Nubus-

Damn Straight!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2002, 09:30 PM

Stop using them, stop buying them. Its that simple. Get off the candy crutch or deal with the downfalls. Me, I stopped using plug-ins mostly. Found it improved my mixes.