Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2010, 06:41 AM

Default Recommendation for monitoring console

Hello,
so for 10+ years I have used my Mackie 8-Bus console to connect my ProTools HD3, CD-Player and DAT-Player to my 3 pairs of speakers.
Since it's dying slowly (pots and faders start to crackle) I'm looking for a replacement.
What are you guys using?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Recommendation for monitoring console

I think the Dangerous brand has a great one, but I have been plenty happy with the Presonus Central Station with remote. Its passive, so it has zero coloration.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 AM

I second the Central Station, and you can usually find them pretty cheap on Ebay. Had one in a studio I was working at. Did it's job and stayed out of the way of the mix. ie. It just worked.
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 11-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detlef Brockmann View Post
Hello,
so for 10+ years I have used my Mackie 8-Bus console to connect my ProTools HD3, CD-Player and DAT-Player to my 3 pairs of speakers.
Since it's dying slowly (pots and faders start to crackle) I'm looking for a replacement.
What are you guys using?
I DONT have this one as I have got a large analog console BUT should I rid myself of that this here baby would be the first thing I would get...

A little costly but worth every penny if you ask me

AVOCET
Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 AM

for a low cost solution, i will also back the presonus central station. i know there are better options out there, but it works fine and will give you a number of options that are handy.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:45 AM

I've used the Central Station for a few years now and it does its job fairly well. It's surprisingly flexible in everyday use and you get a lot for your money. For the last year and a half I've been monitoring through a Genelec 8240+7260 system being fed digitally through a Lavry Black AD, following the CS. Before this I had and all-analogue Genelec 8050 system hooked up it. I use active Avantones as my secondaries.

There are a few issues with the CS that may or may not be of importance to you that I think it's good to be aware of before picking one up.

Firstly, the analogue chain is really quite adequate for run-of-the-mill tracking and mixing, provided that the gain staging and the calibration has been done properly. If this is not the case you may find that the channel balance can be skewed at lower levels (it seems to vary from unit to unit). To avoid this, simply calibrate your chain so that you don't normally need to use the first 1/4 of travel on the main level pot. The upper 3/4 area is perfectly balanced - on my unit, at least.

Secondly, the DA isn't the best in the world. It normally doesn't bother me much as I use this input only for quick and convenient, non critical iTunes playback. For critical playback I go through CoreAudio directly to my HD interface and input an analogue signal to the CS. As an alternative, you could hook up a dedicated separate DA for this purpose and permanently go in through one of the analogue inputs.

Thirdly, I'd say that the headphone amp is of average quality at most. Once again you can get by with it most of the time. It's good enough for artist mixes and such, though, and there's always the stereo line output at the back that you can hook up to an external HP amp of your choice.

There are two routing features that I really miss on the CS and the first one is quite irritating: The mono switch doesn't affect the HP amp signal, so there's no way you can get a mono fold down from the headphone output if you can't fold down at the source... The other one is a just a minor inconvenience and can be worked around: There's no cut/mute for single speakers. You may be able to work around this by using the C output and tweaking the speaker trim pots, but I haven't tried it. To get a "TV/radio mono" check I simply switch off the other Avantone and press the mono button. It works, but it certainly would be more convenient if this "feature" was integrated in the CS itself.

After having pointed out these minor shortcomings of the CS it may seem like I don't like the CS very much. Quite the opposite - it really is a flexible little champ that does it job surprisingly well for very little money.

One feature I especially like is the separate Main and Cue buses with double, freely switchable HP outputs on the front panel and the additional Cue line outputs (TRS) at the back - very handy and convenient! I also like the integrated, footswitchable Talkback option and the fact that you can hook up a remote with it's own TB mic and switch for clients/producers/guests - all very practical features.

I've heard some complaints about the build quality, but I've not experienced any problems during 4 years of almost daily use. Some knobs may feel a bit flimsy but they've never failed in any way. There could be lemon units out there, of course.

Why not try it out? It shouldn't be too hard to get someone to loan you one for a week or so - there are plenty around by now.

Cheers,

Bag
Old 11-01-2010, 12:33 PM

How about the SPL 2381 or even the 2Control. Never heard the 2Control but I've owned the 2381 for a while and it's never let me down. Well constructed, great sound!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:42 PM

Don't forget the Dangerous Dbox. Pricewise, it's a nice inbetween solution, with very high quality, both the D/A and the analog section. Even if you never use the analog summing, it's worth it.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 PM

How about Furman SRM-80 Signal Router/Monitor or Mackie CR-1604 use the balance TRS line inputs (channel 1-6) for monitoring.

Pro Tools HD2 PCIe
192i/o 16in/8out
Mac Pro 8 core 2x2.93GHz Nehalem, 16GB RAM
Old 11-02-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamdi View Post
How about Furman SRM-80 Signal Router/Monitor or Mackie CR-1604 use the balance TRS line inputs (channel 1-6) for monitoring.
i think the SRM-80 has been discontinued(?). the presonus is a passive device. keep that in mind when you're looking for your solution - this is a good thing for a inexpensive box. (and frankly, nothing with the name "mackie" would be in the middle of my monitoring signal path).