Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 AM

Default Can this be done with the profire 2626

I am looking to do Protools video tutorials and publish them to my website.

I am using screenflow to record the screen but capturing the audio is a problem.

As Protools must come out the interface am I best buying a multitrack recorder to record the Protools audio.

Another problem is when I hook up the sm58 to do my VoiceOver the audio is sounding distorted. I have changed cables, mics, inputs as well as unhooking unnessacery hardware.

Can anyone please help with the above or please give some alt suggestions.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Can this be done with the profire 2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by boabyd23 View Post
I am looking to do Protools video tutorials and publish them to my website.

I am using screenflow to record the screen but capturing the audio is a problem.

As Protools must come out the interface am I best buying a multitrack recorder to record the Protools audio.

Another problem is when I hook up the sm58 to do my VoiceOver the audio is sounding distorted. I have changed cables, mics, inputs as well as unhooking unnessacery hardware.

Can anyone please help with the above or please give some alt suggestions.
If you are trying to do the VO at the same time as screen recording... you are certainly doing it the hard way. No need to record the output of Pro Tools... otherwise you are negating the whole purpose of using PT in the first place. PT (even MP and LE) is well equipped for putting audio to video.

You want to do all of your screen caps FIRST. No audio involved. Do whatever editing is necessary, then you can bring the video in to Pro Tools (via mov, avi, mp4... a few other formats, but mov and mp4 are the most tried and true). From here, you can follow the timeline of the video, and record your VOs over the video. Now you can rehearse, do multiple takes, and most importantly, edit the audio to the video. You will have to export the audio separately, however, and use a video editor (iMovie will do this) to attach the audio to the video.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Your problem may simply be that you are using an SM58. While they are rugged and great for live performances... not so great for soft, close vocals and VOs. You may want to invest in a good wide-diaphragm condenser.

D

Old 05-03-2010, 12:30 PM

Hi thanks for the advice.

I have many mics including 4 condensers but just chose the sm58 for quickness.

I understand what ur saying, so film myself doing the edits and then import the video back into Protools and kind of narrate along with it.

I think with the time to rehearse, sync up audio and stuff would be more time consuming.

I saw a 4 track tascam Dp004 multitrack recorder and I can record stereo output from Protools as well as pluging a mic straight in to another track. This way sounds more simpler as all audio will be synced plus I can import the audio as wav files in their seperate tracks onto Protools.

Think this might be the best case scenario
Old 05-03-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Hi thanks for the advice.

I have many mics including 4 condensers but just chose the sm58 for quickness.

I understand what ur saying, so film myself doing the edits and then import the video back into Protools and kind of narrate along with it.

I think with the time to rehearse, sync up audio and stuff would be more time consuming.

I saw a 4 track tascam Dp004 multitrack recorder and I can record stereo output from Protools as well as pluging a mic straight in to another track. This way sounds more simpler as all audio will be synced plus I can import the audio as wav files in their seperate tracks onto Protools.

Think this might be the best case scenario
So by sync'd... do you mean you will be filming yourself separately from the screen? As in, your face will be seen while you are narrating? Otherwise, sync'ing will just be a matter of lining everything up in Pro Tools. While this may seem a bit more time consuming, it will make a lot more sense, editing wise. If you're just doing screen caps... it doesn't really matter, because you can determine afterwards where you want to be talking. The idea here, is workflow. I can't think of anyone, or any instance in my own experience, where recording the output of Pro Tools at the same time as tracking VOs has improved workflow. Pro Tools is designed to be used in conjunction with video editing. If you record directly out of Pro Tools... what are you going to edit the audio in afterwards? If you are determined to do it this way, you might as well dedicate a pair of busses alongside the outputs feeding a stereo track in Pro Tools. This will achieve the same effect. No need to record externally, as this would certainly take more time. Not sure why you would want to record to another recorder when Pro Tools is already doing that. Your 2626 has potentially 18 ins/outs, there is no need to track again externally.

Choosing a mic for "quickness" over quality is rarely the best decision, especially in terms of VOs, where vocal quality is key.

D

Old 05-03-2010, 02:10 PM

I get what ur saying but I think there's confusion To what I'm trying to achieve.

I will be editing a sessions vocals and whilst doing so will explain as I'm doing so. Therefore I need to capture the session audio and my vocal seperately. To edit later ie duck the audio whilst I'm talking over parts.

I know I could bus to aux channels and stuff but I don't want that captured on the video.

Protools audio can't be captured by screenflow as it doesn't run on the computer audio therefore the video records the activity but there's no sound. I've checked the prefs in screenflow and selected the 2626 but it doesn't capture it.

I connected a 1/4 to 1/8 jack from headphone out of profire and into line in on MacBook, adjusted the volume and it worked fine however couldn't do vo !

I know there must be a simple way to do this and I do know the difference in mic choice, the sm58 was used as a setup means only to make sure I had everything working correctly. Even with my neumann Condenser it was the same.

There are so many videos on YouTube of people doing this and the session doesn't have them using that program to record their vo on.

Man this is a pain. Lol

The problem with the recording my editing and do takes later is there will be so much play and stop too be able to keep track of what is playing at that point and how will it be possible to a-b parts I'm doing.

The tascam will have outputs from the 2626 going into it and this will capture the Protools audio as a stereo file and I can record directly into it or through the 2626 for the vo. I can re-import the uncompressed audio back into Protools along with the captured video in mov and all will be synced at correct points. So the only editing is mixing the stereo track with my vo ie ducking etc.

I appreciate the advice but I feel there would be more time spent on editing than a simple work around.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:24 PM

just get the ishowu and you can record the screen and the audio coming from pro tools and, use the internal mic on your computer or an external mic and you can record it as voice over...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlees View Post
just get the ishowu and you can record the screen and the audio coming from pro tools and, use the internal mic on your computer or an external mic and you can record it as voice over...
Also a viable choice!

There are other apps available as well that do the same thing. Re-routing PT audio through your Mac's onboard in/outs. I know there's one or two that will even get the audio out of PT to come through your Macbook's speakers.

D