Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 AM

Default Re: HD Native cant Update Firmware after installing PT9.0.5 Update

This whole thing seems 'not ready for prime time'.

I've upgraded all three of my pro tools pc's to win7x64, so im just gonna skip 9.05 for now.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 09-24-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditu View Post
Although musicman691 is right that you can't Install an earlier version than the one that the computer came out with, my suggestion is to install a bootable OS onto an external drive and fire it up as a target mode which CAN be done (it was the fix i used)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i'm not sure if your newly purchased SL copy will work either, Apple is known for updating its SL boxed in parallel to the download-able releases, so you might get in your mail a copy of a Full OS 10.6.8 installer which is again the version you can't use to fix the firmware.

Best regards
Thanks again for your help.
SL OS arrives on the 28th...I certainly hope it's going to be an earlier version than 10.6.8...Thanks everybody!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZK RECORDS View Post
Thanks again for your help.
SL OS arrives on the 28th...I certainly hope it's going to be an earlier version than 10.6.8...Thanks everybody!
I guess that depends on where you got SL from. If it's something that's been on someone's shelf then more likely than not it's an older version of SL. If it's the single license version from the Apple store (NOT the App store - they are two different things) it may well be the latest version. Why do I say that? Look at the delay in shipping to the customer. What's interesting is the family license pack version is available for immediate shipping (price $49 US) and the single license version is like 5-7 days (price $29). Hope no one buys it through Amazon - they have it available through a third party for $99.

QAPLA!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Well. The OS arrived and is a copy of SL 10.6.3. Can not use it with the Lion Mac Pro, so I'm using a macbook pro with 10.5.8 to install in an external firewire drive.
The installation does not finish...at least how it was supposed to do, by re-starting the computer from the external HD with the new OS...instead, it just simply quit the launcher after around an hour and all I see in the HD are the Packages for all the bits and softwares installations...which i installed one by one by hand....still no luck.
Now I'm trying to start the computer from the installation CD to see if I get Lucky....
Any Help will be most welcome!
Thanks.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZK RECORDS View Post
Well. The OS arrived and is a copy of SL 10.6.3. Can not use it with the Lion Mac Pro, so I'm using a macbook pro with 10.5.8 to install in an external firewire drive.
The installation does not finish...at least how it was supposed to do, by re-starting the computer from the external HD with the new OS...instead, it just simply quit the launcher after around an hour and all I see in the HD are the Packages for all the bits and softwares installations...which i installed one by one by hand....still no luck.
Now I'm trying to start the computer from the installation CD to see if I get Lucky....
Any Help will be most welcome!
Thanks.
Why not just upgrade the Macbook Pro to SL?

QAPLA!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Why not just upgrade the Macbook Pro to SL?
Because I need to have the HD Card in the computer to upgrade the firmware.

I was able to load the hard drive with SL. though, the MAc Pro froze at the Apple Logo when I restarted it from SL hd...
I'm also realizing right now, that I have the wireless Keyboard and mouse...and not sure if I'll be able to use them with SL...
What a mess...
Old 09-28-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Although musicman691 is right that you can't Install an earlier version than the one that the computer came out with, my suggestion is to install a bootable OS onto an external drive and fire it up as a target mode which CAN be done (it was the fix i used)
Hello Aditu.
Apparently I can not starup the Mac pro from an earlier version of OS than the one that came with the computer, not even from an external drive. Mine came with Lion, so I think I'm stuck.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2186
How did you do it?
Thanks for the Help.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Hello Aditu.
Apparently I can not starup the Mac pro from an earlier version of OS than the one that came with the computer, not even from an external drive. Mine came with Lion, so I think I'm stuck.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2186
How did you do it?
Thanks for the Help.
Hey there KZK RECORDS

I'm still a bit confused as to why it's not working this fix for you.

Every Apple machine comes with a pre-installed OS, you can't install an earlier version than the one it came with.

So if your MacPro came with Lion, then you can't go lower than OS 10.7.x, if you try to install your Snow Leopard 10.6.3 directly into the hard drive, you might as well look at the wall and wait forever since the MacPro will get stuck on a Loop Load.

Now lets go to your MacBook Pro, which from what i have read, it's currently in Leopard OS 10.5.x, first suggestion would be, can you install SL 10.6.3 onto your MacBook Pro? The only reason NOT to upgrade your MacBook Pro to Snow Leopard would be that your laptop has in fact a PowerPC processor, but if this is not the case please do upgrade your MacBook Pro's OS.

I strongly recommend it!

If you can install SL onto your laptop then you should be good to go and install PTHD9. Once installed, again Hook up your Laptop via Firewire to your MacPro, start your laptop first as Target disk mode ("T" key) and then start your MacPro with the "Alt / Option" key in order to select the Boot drive you want the MacPro to start with (Choose your laptop from the options).

If everything works up to here, then proceed with the Firmware update and you should be good to go with your PT HD Native system.

Last but not least, you also have an External Hard Drive, so if you were to install a Bootable OS from an external Firewire Hard Drive, you have to make sure that the Hard Drive has 1 Partition and it has to have the "GUID Partition Scheme" Format for it to work as a bootable external hard drive.

Please follow Apple's instructions on how to format a bootable external drive posted here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1600?viewlocale=en_US

Once you've formated your external HDD, proceed to install the SL OS10.6.3 and the PT HD. and finally rinse and repeat the process of starting your MacPro with the OS from the HDD for the Firmware update.

Hope this works for you.

ps. I'm assuming that your external HDD is Firewire, according to Apple's documentation, USB drives should also work, but for the sake of it i'd rather do the procedure with Firewire.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Hey there KZK RECORDS

Every Apple machine comes with a pre-installed OS, you can't install an earlier version than the one it came with.

So if your MacPro came with Lion, then you can't go lower than OS 10.7.x, if you try to install your Snow Leopard 10.6.3 directly into the hard drive, you might as well look at the wall and wait forever since the MacPro will get stuck on a Loop Load.

Now lets go to your MacBook Pro, which from what i have read, it's currently in Leopard OS 10.5.x, first suggestion would be, can you install SL 10.6.3 onto your MacBook Pro? The only reason NOT to upgrade your MacBook Pro to Snow Leopard would be that your laptop has in fact a PowerPC processor, but if this is not the case please do upgrade your MacBook Pro's OS.

I strongly recommend it!

If you can install SL onto your laptop then you should be good to go and install PTHD9. Once installed, again Hook up your Laptop via Firewire to your MacPro, start your laptop first as Target disk mode ("T" key) and then start your MacPro with the "Alt / Option" key in order to select the Boot drive you want the MacPro to start with (Choose your laptop from the options).

If everything works up to here, then proceed with the Firmware update and you should be good to go with your PT HD Native system.

Last but not least, you also have an External Hard Drive, so if you were to install a Bootable OS from an external Firewire Hard Drive, you have to make sure that the Hard Drive has 1 Partition and it has to have the "GUID Partition Scheme" Format for it to work as a bootable external hard drive.

Please follow Apple's instructions on how to format a bootable external drive posted here:

Once you've formated your external HDD, proceed to install the SL OS10.6.3 and the PT HD. and finally rinse and repeat the process of starting your MacPro with the OS from the HDD for the Firmware update.

Hope this works for you.

ps. I'm assuming that your external HDD is Firewire, according to Apple's documentation, USB drives should also work, but for the sake of it i'd rather do the procedure with Firewire.
Perfect explanation; this is what I thought KZK was going to do.

To confirm Apple went with Intel from the first MacBooks; PPC chips went away with the G4/G5 machines.

As to your PS I know this can be done with a PPC machine as I've done it to resurrect a Powerbook G4 when both it's internal HD and optical drives went south. Hooked up a USB optical drive to handle the install dvd and a clean HD off the firewire port to load everything on to.

QAPLA!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Hey there KZK RECORDS

I strongly recommend it!

Hope this works for you.

Thanks for your answer and time Aditu!
Like I said, I installed the 10.6.3 OS in the external hard drive with my Intel laptop (internal HD OS10.5.8) and it worked perfectly. The problem is when I try to do the same with the tower. It sees the bootable HD in starup system preferences, but when I select it and hit restart, the computer restarts, but freeze at the apple logo ( no spinning circle there).
I believe that I won't be able to start the tower with an older OS than the one that came with the computer even if it bootable and ready to go in an external HD!!??
If I'm wrong please let me know how to do it!

would it be possible to make the TOWER the target with firewire and open PT 9.0.5, already installed in it, to upgrade the firmware?
Thanks again for your Help.