Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-11-2015, 10:47 AM

Default Why is 12 sucking SO BAD?!?

Good lord 12 is a terrible piece of software. I've got identical partitions for 11.3HD and 12.2HD made, the only difference being what version of PT is on there. With every update, I've attempted to use 12 for even the simplest tasks and it's been impossible. Constant crashes, weird behaviour, and just general uselessness. It's got nothing to do with the computer, it's got nothing to do with the install. I simply go back to my 11HD partition and keep on working. Like, come on with the scroll wheel people!!! How hard is it to make that work like it did in 12? Sessions I'm currently working on that work fine in 10HD and 11HD just hang, crash or behave weird in 12.2HD. That just shouldn't be.

I really can't recall any version of PT being at a .2 update and being in such rough shape as this. Stop releasing updates until things are fixed guys, this is seriously getting out of hand. I hate some of the ridiculous comments I'm seeing on this message board from people that clearly barely use the software. But I'm having a hard time not agreeing with them when I can't even use it myself on a daily basis for work.

I'd argue right now that an HD license for 10 is probably the most valuable piece of Pro Tools in existence…it was the last version that was really any good, although I am using 11 and for the most part getting away with it.

SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT AVID!!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Why is 12 sucking SO BAD?!?

So are you looking for help troubleshooting, or...?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:06 AM

There is no troubleshooting bad coding!! Hah.

I suppose I am merely venting, and hoping that the message is heard somewhere down the line. Sending in support requests is going nowhere, eventually they just get ignored and not responded to anymore. But seriously, the scroll wheel thing just kills me. How do you even remove or break that from one version to the next? Some guy hit delete on a line in C++ or what?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:09 AM

Well, it's so far fine for me! I've even dug up some old Pro Tools 6 and 7 sessions and loaded it up! It works smoothly!

Maybe someone didn't update all the drivers like you suppose to before installing Pro Tools 12?

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 09-11-2015, 11:16 AM

Is it possible that having PT11 and PT12 co-installed is causing problems? I have found PT12 to be about as stable as PT11, though my usage doesn't stress the system much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegfried Meier View Post
Good lord 12 is a terrible piece of software. I've got identical partitions for 11.3HD and 12.2HD made, the only difference being what version of PT is on there. With every update, I've attempted to use 12 for even the simplest tasks and it's been impossible. Constant crashes, weird behaviour, and just general uselessness. It's got nothing to do with the computer, it's got nothing to do with the install. I simply go back to my 11HD partition and keep on working. Like, come on with the scroll wheel people!!! How hard is it to make that work like it did in 12? Sessions I'm currently working on that work fine in 10HD and 11HD just hang, crash or behave weird in 12.2HD. That just shouldn't be.

I really can't recall any version of PT being at a .2 update and being in such rough shape as this. Stop releasing updates until things are fixed guys, this is seriously getting out of hand. I hate some of the ridiculous comments I'm seeing on this message board from people that clearly barely use the software. But I'm having a hard time not agreeing with them when I can't even use it myself on a daily basis for work.

I'd argue right now that an HD license for 10 is probably the most valuable piece of Pro Tools in existence…it was the last version that was really any good, although I am using 11 and for the most part getting away with it.

SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT AVID!!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:16 AM

Please tell me what drivers you're referring to. I've installed everything that is listed in my account, and that shows up in the Account Manager.

The rig that 12HD is running on is using UAD Apollos, and all those drivers are up to date as is all the software/plugin updates (a very vast list) and all else.

If the session runs fine in 11HD, then it should be fine in 12HD...dontcha think??
Old 09-11-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Is it possible that having PT11 and PT12 co-installed is causing problems? I have found PT12 to be about as stable as PT11, though my usage doesn't stress the system much.
Co-installed on 2 separate hard drives?? I don't think so man…

PT12 is supposed to support Mountain Lion, so that's clearly not causing issues either. I'm not saying it's totally unusable. But with plugin heavy mixes, it just doesn't hold a candle to PT11.

Last edited by Siegfried Meier; 09-11-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegfried Meier View Post
Co-installed on 2 separate hard drives?? I don't think so man…

PT12 is supposed to support Mountain Lion, so that's clearly not causing issues either. I'm not saying it's totally unusable. But with plugin heavy mixes, it just doesn't hold a candle to PT11.
Perhaps that is the problem then. AFAIK Pro Tools should be installed on the system disk, sessions/audio on a separate drive.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 09-11-2015, 12:14 PM

*face palm*

Ok, I'll say this one more time. These are FULL INSTALLS ON SEPARATE HARD DRIVES. They're full system installs, on separate external SSD hard drives. No one said anything otherwise.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:06 PM

Skim reading... just don't do it.