Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2017, 04:11 AM

Default Re: No Pro Tools 13 for me unfortunately.

I had a whole long response typed up to this thread but decided to boil it down to - the grass ain't necessarily greener on the other side. Moved most new work to Digital Performer 9 when PT12 dropped (no subscriptions/yearly usage fee; one version to do it all; track folders; works on any OSX release in the last few years, etc.). The frustrations of trying to do the things that are super simpler in PT in DP9 have worn me down to coming back to PT for most new work. I never completely gave up on PT but really came to realize that I may not need the latest bits & bobs in PT12 to get my work done. Would be nice but not necessary and my clients understand when I can deliver what they want with what I've got and in the end isn't that the deal?

QAPLA!
Old 08-28-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I had a whole long response typed up to this thread but decided to boil it down to - the grass ain't necessarily greener on the other side. Moved most new work to Digital Performer 9 when PT12 dropped (no subscriptions/yearly usage fee; one version to do it all; track folders; works on any OSX release in the last few years, etc.). The frustrations of trying to do the things that are super simpler in PT in DP9 have worn me down to coming back to PT for most new work. I never completely gave up on PT but really came to realize that I may not need the latest bits & bobs in PT12 to get my work done. Would be nice but not necessary and my clients understand when I can deliver what they want with what I've got and in the end isn't that the deal?
After 20 years using both DP and PT, I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. So much that I sold my DP license a couple months ago. I guess I'll always use (and like) PT, but I have to admit though I enjoy Logic Pro X more and more each day.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Why dag around an avid forum then? Go to studio one!

All that I ever saw was presonus censoring posts that complained, which is why you don't see many!

The mac performance of studio one is an absolute running joke, and if anyone says it outperforms pro tools 12, i ask them t prove it with a video, that Studio 1 can do such a thing and run more effects and VI's on the same machine as Pro tools. They decline, then I prove that PT can do double.

This is because presonus refuse to implement any sort of internal playback buffer like logic, Cubase asio guard and PT 11+ do, which makes a huge difference on mac (not as much on windows). Studio one has the worst actual performance of ALL daw's and it's only saving grace to mitigate that is the track transform.

I don't understand why anyone would think $99 a year is expensive. This is all I am paying for pro tools. And my eyes don't get a headache.

As to why you don't understand what's wrong with S1, i just told you, for me the interface is far too busy. There are others that feel like you and others that feel like me about it. So use what you like! But don't dag around a product forum you don't use anymore. That's simply pathetic. The last time i posted in the S1 forum or Logic forums was the day i stopped using them (was a beta tester for S1 up to the end of V2 and that was my last post) and switched to PT, so i DO put my money where my mouth is. The only time i ever talk about logic is to maintain a topic i started at gearslutz when i was a logic user, as i kind of owe it to the subs of the topic. i simply test each logic version for 5 minutes when released and see if the PDC automation timing bug is fixed, which incidentally is what made me move to PT.

Besides the bugs I have reported, and i do have some bugs, sure, with PT, i GENUINELY love the way it FEELS.. It seems for some reason you can't accept that some people genuinely LOVE the program. I can't ever imagining leaving it now that I found it. If it ever gets melodyne ARA and folders, that is every single one of my main wishes truly covered.

As far as bad midi that OTHERS have said in this topic, i think that's ridiculous. Pro tools is AMAZING for external midi gear due to the amount you can adjust the timing to be bang on with the beat clock, far easier and more editable than other DAWS.
As far as midi editing, i watched a power midi edit video and it does every thing a composer would ever need, with TONS of shortcuts and power moves. Logic's mid is powerful but it's still faster to edit in the event list and that's saying something LOL.

S1 is ok too, they are all ok, but PT gets a very unfair bad wrap about midi which is just baseless. And the inline midi is an epic option.

It's a truly wonderful DAW, and once my external midi is recorded to audio, it is so incredibly pleasant to edit audio with, and i don't even have HD!!!

Bring on the 13 train Avid but PLEASE keep it compatible with yosemite 10.10.5
Acutally I haven't been around in about six months. As I said I was hoping to see if things have gotten better, NOT. Dude you can defend Avid all you want and you can keep paying and waiting and paying and waiting and paying and waiting. Not me! My experience with Studio One 3 has been stellar on my Mac system and always has been. (see below) Its always been very stable and fast. I guess you haven't seen the last two upgrades Presonus has made with Studio 1 with the Audio Engine to say the least? The first one cut CPU in Half and then the second one cut in half again at least on my system. Also you can now track with low latency with native plugins at high track count (no hardware needed). Try that in PT. I could never and still can't achieve this kind of performance with Pro Tools on any version. Not to mention S1 has the features I wish Pro Tools had. As far as the GUI I guess thats is a matter of preference but when I go back to Pro Tools after using Studio 1, its like looking at an audio program from the early 80's like Master Track Pro. It seem so out dated and clunky. Of course you can get work done with both Programs but for me It gets done a lot faster with much more ease and it doesn't kill my creativity with the error codes and the company doesn't keep charging me for things they keep braking. I guess you have forgotten how Avid said in the beginning they where not going to charge for bug fixes and now thats pretty much what your paying for and some of those bugs where really show stoppers. They said the new upgrade model would be an improved way of pushing out new features, NOT! Just keep telling your self the world is flat when the facts are quite different. Oh! and for me, the grass is much greener.

Last edited by zion; 08-28-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:40 AM

-cloud collaboration
-Pro Tools First
-app manager

laughable
Old 08-28-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I hear ya..I learned how to use pro tools myself! I only checked videos for advanced shortcuts and functions one i had all the basics down and could actually complete a song in it. I still haven't read the PT manual.

With the DP 9 demo I decided I wasn't ready to get my daw rocket engineering certificate yet lol. I couldn't make heads or tales of it, literally.

Reaper also needs one to be a rocket scientist with all the options but even so, at least it has *some* sort of logic to it. DP just tortured my mind.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I hear ya..I learned how to use pro tools myself! I only checked videos for advanced shortcuts and functions one i had all the basics down and could actually complete a song in it. I still haven't read the PT manual.

With the DP 9 demo I decided I wasn't ready to get my daw rocket engineering certificate yet lol. I couldn't make heads or tales of it, literally.

Reaper also needs one to be a rocket scientist with all the options but even so, at least it has *some* sort of logic to it. DP just tortured my mind.
DP looks like what back in the day was called 'spaghetti code' - 'feature' piled upon 'feature' and way more complicated than needs be. I mean come on- their instrument track is nothing more than an aux track holding a vi. And the community over at Motunation is the nothing like what we have here. Heaven forbid you say anything bad about DP - you get torn to shreds. I'm no slouch when it comes to working with computers and software but akin to what you said - DP is like listening to Justin Bieber all day.

QAPLA!
Old 08-28-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
- DP is like listening to Justin Bieber all day.
That's quite a visual, I will have to ponder the ramifications of that one

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 08-28-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
After 20 years using both DP and PT, I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. So much that I sold my DP license a couple months ago. I guess I'll always use (and like) PT, but I have to admit though I enjoy Logic Pro X more and more each day.
Logic and S1 have those crap stereo panners. They have work arounds but it annoys me to see a stereo track with a single pan. That may be the one single thing that brought me to PT. Then again Logic had track freeze a decade before PT.

Most musicians I know dropped PT for Logic years ago and never looked back. I still enjoy PT for mixing and production but it has its weaknesses.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:20 PM

What is this thread about exactly?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-29-2017, 12:07 AM

I have had the opposite experience. I dropped PT for Reaper a few months ago and have never looked back. There is no way I would come back to PT. I can't think of anything that I miss about PT, but there are lots of things I'm happy I don't have to suffer through any more.

Quote: