Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2010, 10:42 AM

Default Do I need a farm card or a DSP card?

I'm running PT 6.2 on a Mac G4 OSX 10.2 and would like to increase my plug in processing power. As it stands now, I can run 2 DVerbs, a couple 3rd party plug ins and a handful of PT compressors and 4 band eq's and such before I reach my system capacity. I'm not concerned with track count as I rarely have sessions that require more than 12 mono and a few stereo tracks recording simultaneously, (I'm running two 888/24's) but like most of you using the older systems, I need more plug in capacity. My question is simple, do I need to add a mix farm card, even though I'm not interested right now in the increased I/O capacity it would provide, or am I seeking a mix DSP card (which I've never seen) or are they one and the same? Thank you in advance for any information.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Do I need a farm card or a DSP card?

I THINK (if memory serves) the DSP Farms had 4 chips, and the Mix Farms had 6...
Old 03-17-2010, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Do I need a farm card or a DSP card?

al lot of the plugs will not run on a DSP card under OSX so try and find a Farm card

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig