Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2015, 11:37 AM

Default PT 11 & Yosemite

I had to remove Yosemite from my Mac because there was a problem with Reason & Live as a standalone after I upgraded from Maverick to Yosemite OS. They worked on Rewire but not as standalone. There were obvious bugs with Yosemite which I was not aware of regarding 3rd party software. Live support had no clue but I thought it might be the driver for my Thunderbolt Extension Chassis (running on HD Omni) but it was most likely the Apple OS Yosemite. So I removed Yosemite on a clean sweep and reinstalled Maverick on the Mac

I had to reinstall all software including PT 11.3.1 but manually because the migrate program function would not work due it being a different OS than Yosemite; and now I have it running on Maverick OS on the Macbook Air. PT is working with some issues and

2 problems now: (1) Live is listed in the instruments but Reason is not--no clue on how to get Reason to show in the Instrument Insert Both LIve & Reason seem to be working fine as standalone and recognize the Core Audio driver and HD Native. Only problem is now I cannot rewire Reason because it does not show in the instrument menu of the inserts on Pro Tools.
Also,
2) I am able to open songs I created in previous PT 11.3.1 but when I try to save I get this error message:

Could not save "When I Smile CD2015" because Permission denied (13) while opening "gxdsRVBYdysmTRCX".
I cannot save the files I created in the previous version of PT 11.3.1 but if I create a song in the new version it allows me to save.

another error message:

Pro Tools was unable to Auto Backup your session.

If your session is on a read-only drive, you must disable "AutoSave" by unchecking "Enable Session File Auto Backup" (located in the Operations tab of the Pro Tools Preferences dialog) to avoid this error.

(Error was: Permission denied (13) )

I am saving all my sessions on a external drive and it is not read only.
I did disable the auto save but it has nothing to do with the first error/issue.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:36 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by docshaman View Post
2) I am able to open songs I created in previous PT 11.3.1 but when I try to save I get this error message:

Could not save "When I Smile CD2015" because Permission denied (13) while opening "gxdsRVBYdysmTRCX".
I cannot save the files I created in the previous version of PT 11.3.1 but if I create a song in the new version it allows me to save.
When any application saves a file, the following steps occur:
  1. Save changes to temp file
  2. Get name that user specified for saved file
  3. Delete original file
  4. Rename temp file to what user expects

When you try to save sessions created on Yosemite OS, it cannot create the temp file. What happens if you create a new, blank session and import session data from one of these sessions that you cannot save?
Old 05-31-2015, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docshaman View Post

I had to reinstall all software including PT 11.3.1 but manually because the migrate program function would not work due it being a different OS than Yosemite; and now I have it running on Maverick OS on the Macbook Air. PT is working with some issues and

2 problems now: (1) Live is listed in the instruments but Reason is not--no clue on how to get Reason to show in the Instrument Insert Both LIve & Reason seem to be working fine as standalone and recognize the Core Audio driver and HD Native. Only problem is now I cannot rewire Reason because it does not show in the instrument menu of the inserts on Pro Tools.
You never want to use Migration Assisstant to move programs, only data. So even if it had worked there might still be issues.

So you manually reinstalled everything and that's good; time consuming but good. By default I believe Reason runs in 32 bit mode upon install. With no programs running right click on the Reason program icon and select Get Info. When that comes up check to see if Reason is set to run int 32 bit mode; if it is undo that so Reason can run in 64 bit mode.

QAPLA!