Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-21-2019, 01:13 AM

Default Bass Input is Reading on Multiple Channels

Hi guys,

We’re trying to record bass and guitar simultaneously into Pro Tools, but problem is that when I record enable the bass channel and guitar channel, its reading the bass signal on the guitar channel too (and vice versa I think), like there’s no separation between the two.

Here are my setup specs:

I’m on PT 12.5 on Mac laptop OS 10.11.6
Main audio interface is MOTU 828 mkiii
Slave preamp unit is MOTU 8Pre USB (the newer usb version, not the older FireWire version). I have the two Motu units connected via ADAT expansion, with the 8Pre as the slave unit.

It seems that any of the channels of the 8Pre that are not muted, will get line level when only the bass channel is record enabled.

I muted the all other channels on the CueMix software, except for channel 1 (bass) and channel 2 (guitar), both unmuted so we can record them together during rehearsal.

I feel it’s a setting within the CueMix software that needs to change but can’t figure out which one.

I attached pics of the cue mix window as well as Pro Tools window to show how things are setup. ‘Bass DI’ and ‘Guitar Mic’ are the channel names you can see in the pics.

Any ideas on how to solve would be most appreciated!
IMG_8696.jpgIMG_8695.jpgIMG_8694.jpgIMG_8693.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2019, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Bass Input is Reading on Multiple Channels

I can't see much on your screenshots but it sounds like both the bass and the guitar track have been assigned to the same input on Pro Tools. Make sure you are using mono tracks
Old 11-21-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I can't see much on your screenshots but it sounds like both the bass and the guitar track have been assigned to the same input on Pro Tools. Make sure you are using mono tracks
Thanks for the reply. I checked but they are actually assigned to different inputs, strangely. I'll check about the mono track thing, but if there's anything else to try, feel free to let me know. Cheers!
Old 11-21-2019, 11:57 AM

Shut down Pro Tools. Open up the Cue Mix software. With one input going to interface and headphones connected. Start playing around building a headphone mix, just play until you understand CueMix enough. What you then want to look at is the signal routing/mixing in CueMix going to the DAW. You really have to spend time to understand this yourself, take an hour or so, you really need to spend that time. we cannot help here, certainly not without legible screenshots.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:59 AM

Hi guys, just an update... after some digging, I think I realize what the issue is. Seems the settings on CueMix software are in fact fine.

However when I went into I/o settings in Pro Tools, it looks like the optical outs are set up and lumped together in pairs (ie Adat Optical 1-2, Adat Optical 3-4 and so on). Looks like the default setup was to make them two L and R monos within a stereo. Please see screen shot to see what I mean.

That’s why one track was reading the other.

So my next question is, how do I change it to make the Adat outs 8 separate mono tracks versus 4 stereo channels with L and R monos within?

Thanks!IMG_8699.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk