Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2010, 10:25 AM

Default session template for imported tracks

I am recording 17 songs on an fostex mr-8 8 track (with only 2 inputs), then importing the tracks to protools.

Before i get too far, I would like to know how to import a session template with the plugin settings. I have followed the 'import session data' but my plugin settings are always default

For example, we mic'd the drums live, with a mixer, and ran it into track one, and used track 2 for a scratch track. We have to be very creative with the limitations of the Fostex. Anyway, I am importing all finished tracks into PT for mixdown. We have done drums, bass, and guitar, so far, and we have keys, and 5 vocals to go.

Anyway, I have to import the tracks into protools, and need a template setup for effects settings for the tracks. When I import the session data back into another song, the effects all revert back to default. We have 17 songs recorded, so obviously Im trying to avoid dialing in the effects on each track separately.

Or, alternatively, if anyone has a method for importing a wav file into an existing track, instead of creating a new one, that would work, too, as I could create a standard template that way. The way Im doing it now, is importing all song data into their own tracks. I guess Ill try to figure that method out while I wait for a reply here.

Can anyone help?

EDIT, I have figured out how to import the track data to an existing track, so hopefully this will solve the problem. I clicked 'import' then 'audio to region list'. Then, I opened the region box, and dragged the track into an existing track. (I hope that makes sense.) Now, I will see if that works in an existing template, with effects settings.

Edit #2 Ok. This method worked like a charm.

If anyone else needs help with this, heres how its done:

Take your song that is set up how you want it. Save a copy of that song in a different place, and label it as 'session template' or whatever. Open that copy, go to the edit window, and open 'region list.' select all regions. click on 'clear' and it will ask whether to remove or delete. click Remove. It will ask for verification of every track. When the list is empty, save it again. Open 'session template' for any new songs. Go to 'import.' then 'audio to region list.' and import your tracks. go to the region list, and drag your imported tracks into the blank tracks in the edit window, and you're done.

My apologies, if this is common knowledge. I havent messed with PT in a couple years, so I didnt know. Hopefully it'll help someone out there. My PT book didnt quite explain what I needed.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Default Re: session template for imported tracks

Just drag and drop your .WAV files onto the edit window with Plug-ins in place.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com