Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2008, 12:47 AM

Default REAMPING...one more!

Hi i've read many threads about the possibility of reamping a clean guitar recording. Now i've recently bought a RADIAL PRO RMP to accomplish a good signal reamping with my MESA MARK III and i'm connecting the RADIAL unit directly to the one othe 888/24 outputs. Now i'm a bit frustrated because i find that the MESA sound is not as good as a real guitar feeded sound! How could i try to optimize the signal flow? I'm experiencing quite some noise as well when the signal passes through the MESA PREAMP and distorsion seem not so good! Better results and less noise are obtained when an already distorted signal (for instance recorded directly from a LINE6 POD X3 Live) is sent via PRO RMP to the RETURN input of the MESA (bypassing the preamp section)... but still i find that connecting a real guitar to an external pre and the to the return input gives better results!

Could someone give me some advice?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-23-2008, 05:01 AM

Default Re: REAMPING...one more!

I did the same quite some time ago, and totaly gave up!!! I found that the instrument i/p's on the C/24 still didnt sound good enough to me. Even with a DI into another desk was still to 'clippy'. (and no, its not level related). What I ended up doing was plugging my guitar into a dogy multi FX pedal, by passing any FX and the recording that clean sound, and then re-amping from there.

http://www.cmproductions.co.za
Old 09-23-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troncomac View Post
Hi i've read many threads about the possibility of reamping a clean guitar recording. Now i've recently bought a RADIAL PRO RMP to accomplish a good signal reamping with my MESA MARK III and i'm connecting the RADIAL unit directly to the one othe 888/24 outputs. Now i'm a bit frustrated because i find that the MESA sound is not as good as a real guitar feeded sound! How could i try to optimize the signal flow? I'm experiencing quite some noise as well when the signal passes through the MESA PREAMP and distorsion seem not so good! Better results and less noise are obtained when an already distorted signal (for instance recorded directly from a LINE6 POD X3 Live) is sent via PRO RMP to the RETURN input of the MESA (bypassing the preamp section)... but still i find that connecting a real guitar to an external pre and the to the return input gives better results!

Could someone give me some advice?

Thanks in advance
Sure, A Mark III is a noisy amp, especially after you've been using pluging for a while. The noise doesn't bother me that much and it's part of the "Tone" that your want. If it's really bad, then you need to re tube your mark III. There are also gain controls on the reamp box itself which can control an overloaded or under-loaded signal. sometimes it's just a matter of
matching things up and putting up with a little tube buzz, and just get a high/low pass filter out to get whatever levels are actually screwing with the mix.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 PM

I ream all the time. I do tons of tracking with Eleven and then reamping later. My tone is dead on. I had to spend a lot of time getting the box set just right to match each guitar (mainly humbucker and single coil), once I got that right, I get it dead on each time. I use the Reamp V.2.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 09-24-2008, 12:47 AM

It is not just a question of MESA NOISE! I know that this amp is a bit noisy but when i reamp the sound seems different from that a real guitar! Distorsion is much more dirty... I really LOVE Mark III distorsion but i dislike that dirty sound coming form reamping! :-(
Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 AM

Do you have the one Reamp V.2? Mine is as clean as can be. ??????
Old 09-24-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troncomac View Post
It is not just a question of MESA NOISE! I know that this amp is a bit noisy but when i reamp the sound seems different from that a real guitar! Distorsion is much more dirty...
One issue that is crucial, but I haven’t seen addressed here, is “how clean is your DI recording?” Any noise that makes it onto the track at this stage is bound to be… well, amplified during reamping.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 09-25-2008, 12:28 AM

Mine is this

http://www.radialeng.com/re-prormp.htm

The recording is clean...at least it has no problems at all when feeds amplitube or other AMPSIMULATOR Plugins...
Old 09-27-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I ream all the time. I do tons of tracking with Eleven and then reamping later. My tone is dead on. I had to spend a lot of time getting the box set just right to match each guitar (mainly humbucker and single coil), once I got that right, I get it dead on each time. I use the Reamp V.2.
How do you record the initial guitar track???

Are you just recording the direct Input of the guitar like if using an Amp Sim??

Or do you split it when recording a live amp???

Or record right through from your guitar into protools the out to the reamp into an amp???
Old 09-28-2008, 05:17 AM

The original clean guitar track is recorded through a preamp (an SPL goldmike or my YAMAHA 03D preamp) to the 888/24. The track sounds quite well with an AMPSIM plugin... but i'm looking for a warmer sound and this is why i'm trying to reamping the signal!