Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2015, 07:36 PM

Default noise,, beach wedding

I've read previous posts on sound soap, RX 2, (now RX4?), DNS, waves W43, and a few others. All the threads are from 2010-2011,,, wondering what your thoughts are recently about noise redux programs? My daughter just got married on a beach,, ocean & wind noise quite loud! (Should have tried to plug the old amp directly into camera)(I get my best ideas after its too late).
Thanks,,,,Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 03-14-2015, 09:16 PM

Default Re: noise,, beach wedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosound View Post
I've read previous posts on sound soap, RX 2, (now RX4?), DNS, waves W43, and a few others. All the threads are from 2010-2011,,, wondering what your thoughts are recently about noise redux programs? My daughter just got married on a beach,, ocean & wind noise quite loud! (Should have tried to plug the old amp directly into camera)(I get my best ideas after its too late).
Thanks,,,,Mike
RX is a life saver, I use it every day in post. But not something you just drop in and it works. It's a very deep program with a lot of parameters/modules.
Wind and water can be very variable, so hard to get a steady noise print that will work throughout.

How long is the problem area, perhaps we can arrange a "test"

kasper
Old 03-14-2015, 11:35 PM

Thanks Kasper,
This vid camera was left on, and on a tripod through the wedding, so, about 28 minutes. I had someone else with another camera that had better sound, but on/off, and moving around. This was very spur of the moment, you'd think that being an audio guy I would have put more thought into it?? But, 'it is what it is'. I see what you're saying about wind and water, quite a variable in eq. I use Pinnacle for 'playing' around with home movies. It has a wind & noise effect to use, but not all so effective.

Thanks again,,, Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 03-15-2015, 02:38 AM

RX is used on The Deadliest Catch to recover much of the dialog from on the boats that you hear

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-15-2015, 05:06 AM

I'd say download the demo of rx4 and give it a shot. I believe it's a fully functioning 14 day demo.

QAPLA!
Old 03-15-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosound View Post
Thanks Kasper,
This vid camera was left on, and on a tripod through the wedding, so, about 28 minutes. I had someone else with another camera that had better sound, but on/off, and moving around. This was very spur of the moment, you'd think that being an audio guy I would have put more thought into it?? But, 'it is what it is'. I see what you're saying about wind and water, quite a variable in eq. I use Pinnacle for 'playing' around with home movies. It has a wind & noise effect to use, but not all so effective.

Thanks again,,, Mike
RX is a whole nother world, compared to the "filters" or NR you'll find in a video app .... anyway, give the demo a shot, as mentioned. It's a great program.

Don't try to do too much in one pass, RX has many modules/algos, do a little at a time.
The stand-alone app is far more advanced than just running broad-band NR from the plug-in. If you bring your final video edit into PT, you can bounce clips back and forth with RX connect. Or if you finish in Pinnacle with just one long stereo file, you can open that in the stand-alone RX.

If you want, load up the worst in a short clip 30 secs or so and I'll give it a listen (PM me if you want an email or dropbox)

kasper