Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-06-2012, 02:54 PM

Default Constant Noise

I'm having an issue with a constant white noise/static/high pitched whine coming through my monitors (Yamaha HS50M).

This was always present before on my old system (2008 MacBook, MBox 2, ProTools 7 thru 9) but I barely ever used PT and it was drowned out by music or I just turned the speakers off.

I've since upgraded to an iMac 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, with 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Ram. The noise was still present and I was starting to get editing work so I looked into fixing it finally. I purchased a used 3rd Gen MBox yesterday hoping that alone would fix the issue - no such luck. I then upgraded to ProTools 10.2.0, and again the issue remains. I had been using a very simple surge protector, so today I went out and bought a Monster/HP surge protector thinking maybe that would help, but again the noise remains.

This noise is present at all time, whether ProTools is running or not. It also is exaggerated when I do things like scroll with my mouse. Other system activities seem to make it louder as well - installing programs etc. There is a high pitched whine involved constantly, and static sound similar to a radio station not properly dialed in.

As I've been asked to do some noise reduction on a few audio tracks it is impossible for me to work when there is noise in the system constantly. Any help at all would be very much appreciated. It's been years since I last used ProTools regularly and unfortunately have forgotten a lot - so apologies if my ignorance is the issue here.

Cheers
Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Constant Noise

This could be due to a faulty power supply, if you're getting paid work and your not looking to buy new ones, I'd suggest you get them serviced.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-06-2012, 04:06 PM

How is your gear patched together? Is everything properly grounded? Are you using balanced audio cables (XLR or 1/4")? Are your audio cable runs crossing or in contact in any other way with any power cable runs?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:37 PM

I'll definitely look into the faulty power supply possibility. Although, this was an issue on my previous MacBook as well, so that leads me to believe it might be something else.

My two monitors as well as the iMac is plugged into a brand new surge protector which is then plugged directly into the 3-pronged outlet in the wall. I can only assume it's all grounded properly?

I'm using 1/4" TRS patch cables from the MBox to the monitors. Each one has been very carefully ran to avoid any possibly contact with a power cable. I've even moved every cable while I listen to the noise but the movement doesn't seem to change anything. The Mbox is connected via USB into the 1st USB outlet on the iMac (far right when viewing the screen, far left when looking at it from behind). That cable is also kept away from any and all power cables.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:16 PM

Are you also running your Mac system sounds (iTunes etc.) out through the Mbox either via CoreAudio or a physical patch? If so try taking that out of the equation as a test if you haven't already.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Avid

Does the noise exist in headphones as well? Try removing all but the essential USB peripherals (Mbox, iLok, mouse and keyboard). Connect the Mbox to the USB connection that is closest to the center (nearest the PSU) of the iMac. Also be sure your iMac, monitors, and all other connected electronics are attached to the same power conditioner / strip (using the same main outlet).

If the behavior persists, you could try running the Mbox only from a self-powered (i.e: needs an independent power cable) USB hub. Keep in mind that this is a completely unsupported configuration - we never recommend using USB hubs with audio devices - but in some cases it has proven to be a satisfactory work-around until the root cause could be diagnosed.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 PM

The Mac system sounds were running though it's internal speakers, and unfortunately after trying routing them through the Mbox there is no change.

The noise is not coming though the headphones - although it had been earlier today before I upgraded to PT10. That's kinda weird I guess.

I moved the MBox to the central USB port with no change and only have an iLok in (my keyboard and mouse are Bluetooth).

I will go out and purchase a powered USB hub tomorrow to try.

Thanks everyone for your input - this is very aggravating but I really appreciate the help from you all.

Cheers
Old 06-06-2012, 09:38 PM

Do you live under power lines or something maybe?

It seems like some kind of interference is going on. Have you ever tried setting up in a different part of the room/house/apartment and using a different power outlet?

Another thought - are there any lights on dimmer switches / halogen lamps with dimmers in the room or on the same circuit as your gear?

Grasping at straws a little bit, just thinking of things I've come across in the past that make electrics act kooky.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTSG View Post
I'll definitely look into the faulty power supply possibility. Although, this was an issue on my previous MacBook as well, so that leads me to believe it might be something else.

My two monitors as well as the iMac is plugged into a brand new surge protector which is then plugged directly into the 3-pronged outlet in the wall. I can only assume it's all grounded properly?

I'm using 1/4" TRS patch cables from the MBox to the monitors. Each one has been very carefully ran to avoid any possibly contact with a power cable. I've even moved every cable while I listen to the noise but the movement doesn't seem to change anything. The Mbox is connected via USB into the 1st USB outlet on the iMac (far right when viewing the screen, far left when looking at it from behind). That cable is also kept away from any and all power cables.
I'm talking of the powersupply of your monitors.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Avid

Was the noise also coming from your built-in iMac speakers? If so, then I'd take your iMac to another power outlet in some other location just to test. If it's still present, then take it to the Apple store for diagnosis.