Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2003, 06:39 AM

Default Best Outboard EQ - Options

I've got the 4 pre's on the 002 and one channel of Avalon. I'm using those 5 channels to record drums. Two overheads, snare, kick and room. I'm interested in getting some eq before it hits the hard drive. Is there a good 4 channel EQ available?

I always read (tape op) of people saying they just get a good sound with the mic's but up to this point I can get much closer to a sound I like by recording the drums and then using the Ren EQs.

(Yeah, of course I want the Apogee converters but that is another post.)

thanks

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad S. Dali
Old 06-14-2003, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Best Outboard EQ - Options

Well, what is your budget? I ask because you say the best available, but the price can really fluctuate here. I'm a huge fan of the Manley Massive Passive. This is a top of the line stereo or dual-mono EQ that is used not only for mastering, but also tracking by a handful of some of my best clients. However the cost on it is pretty expensive. I'm also very partial to the Summit EQP200B. These are both 2-ch as you're not really going to find a high-end 4-ch EQ. So again, what is your budget? ;-)
Old 06-14-2003, 07:40 AM

Whoa! I didn't say "best available" did I? I would like something with some knobs that sounds good. I want the ability to shape some sounds, not perfect them. $4000 for 2 channels of EQ? For four grand I can buy a lot of Old Milwaukee and pretend everything sounds good for the next 10 years.

Anyone else?

Old 06-14-2003, 08:28 AM

You still haven't mentioned your budget...?

At any rate... put your money into better mics - before trying to compensate for problems with EQ.

...and get some better beer too. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2003, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BradLyons:
Well, what is your budget? I ask because you say the best available, but the price can really fluctuate here. I'm a huge fan of the Manley Massive Passive. I'm also very partial to the Summit EQP200B. These are both 2-ch as you're not really going to find a high-end 4-ch EQ. So again, what is your budget? ;-)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Brad, what about Millenia NSEQ - 2 ? Mine is pure acoustic music and I am looking for something more transparent. Millenia is my hot idea now. I was also thinking of Summit EQP 200, but somehow, I am not sure whether I need some "tube" distortion ...
Old 06-14-2003, 11:40 AM

My budget is less than $4000. Brad had set the hi end. I'm interested in opinions on other gear. Assume I have the right mics and I'm looking for some EQ and am willing to consider several options.