Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2015, 12:27 PM

Default Re: -9171 and -9172 errors Pro Tools 11 | HD

Okay! I know I posted here a while back that the SSD drives solved the problem. They came back with a vengeance. Recently I installed Yosemite on a different hard drive and the problem seemed to go away. I was all ready to install on my PCI SSD main drive, but I thought about the great results I got yesterday running Onyx on my VI slave Mac Pro (08) - also Mountain Lion. So this morning I ran Onyx on my main PCI SSD drive on Mountain Lion. FOR THE MOMENT, IT'S GONE! This tells me it's not the hardware of Mac Pro's, it's the software. When you install a new OS, Pro Tools seems to work great, right? I'd read somewhere in this thread about someone being happy about a newly installed Yosemite (upgrade) - which is why I installed Yosemite on my second system drive.
I think the reason the SSD seemed to solve the problem was due to the fresh, clean install OS more than the SSD.
So it's something that accumulates over time with the Mac OS.
Onyx clears out caches and the dumb drool Mac OS builds up over time. I'd say I strongly recommend trying this. Best if you have a test hard drive, like I have. THe perennial caveat - YMMV!
If you do, just don't delete the audio cache etc. I've done that and had to spend time getting everything working again. Also run the permissions repair in Onyx.
Someone should design a program (like the PT Pref's Trashers) that eliminates all the junk in the Mac OS. All that junk for the light users, gamers and net surfers is what's causing the problem I think. A Diet Plan for Macs! Pretty sure it's not the hardware or the problem wouldn't go away or become bearable with a fresh or cleaned OS.
Sorry if I misled anyone about the SSDs. They are terrific, but don't solve the problem.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 10-01-2015, 04:33 PM

Addendum to my last email about The Error!
Definitely cleaning your mac regularly clears it up. No problems till today! I use Vienna Ensemble Pro to run a satellite Mac hosting the VI's. I discovered today that if there's any confusion with which instance of VEP Pro Tools has to communicate with you get the dreaded "Increase your buffer size" dialogue. So I had to delete the confused instance of VEP on Pro Tools, then quite PT, then quit VEP on the old Mac satellite machine. Reload VEP on the satellite with the desired metaframe, restart Pro Tools, create a new VEP instance and… Voila! Back to 128 samples, no Increase Your Buffer Size baloney.

It might happen once or twice a day, but not every minute or two as it is when the Mac is loaded with gunk or something funky is going on with a plugin.

So friends it's not Pro Tools that's doing this. It's all about running a very clean Mac and watching for dog plug ins.

One thing of note - with PT 12.2.1 my C24 is no longer communicating with Pro Tools. I see the time code or measures, but no controls work!

Not a big deal. I don't use the C24 much. Mostly mix in Pro Tools.
The C24 is on its way out!
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 10-03-2015, 05:33 PM

I hate to rain on your post, and I agree that people should keep the os lean and mean, but I just did a clean install of the Mac os and all apps and in the first session I opened, a simple one, kicked met some 9172s right away and then crashed. I'm on 11.3.2 Hd and 10.8.5.

For me I think the culprit is pt and/or some plugins, not the Mac os.

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 10-22-2015, 07:32 AM

Well yes! It worked great for a while and then started again.
This time I've tracked it down to the settings in Vienna Ensemble Pro.
I lowered the buffer on the plugin to zero (in PT - Host) and seems to work very well now.
Cleaning the system definitely helps.
Still some weird problems like things occasionally losing sync, going out of time. I quit and restart and it's back to normal.

Sometime still get 'change your buffer settings' when first playing a song with Vienna Ensemble Pro in the session. But works fine after first play.

Recently got the whole Slate package and it was strange. Got delays and doubling. Had buffer in PT at 1024. LOWERED the buffer and the problem seems to have gone away.
Go figure.

I thought PT was supposed to be free of this stuff now.

It would be nice if Avid looked into this stuff. Or the plugin developers and Avid had some kind of 'real world' testing protocol.

I still think a very stripped down version of the Mac OS - without all the goofy bells and whistles, would help tremendously. It would be great if Avid developed a Mac Stripper that cleaned out all that junk that gums up the works.
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 10-22-2015, 09:12 AM

For me the 9172 and sometimes the 9173 errors comes from problems between my nvidia video card and protools. I'm running HDX 1 on Mac OS 10.8.5 on Mac Pro 2009 with an updated nvidia video card because I couldn't run protools 11HD with all the graphic renders that required with the stock GT120 card. Since then I have this related errors. I can work and probably have 1 or 2 per day but it's not so bad because it lets me have long playbacks etc.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
I thought PT was supposed to be free of this stuff now.
PT12.4 and still -9171...
Old 12-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Avid

Please check out the following links. This might be helpful to some..

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ve-errors-9071

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ep-PTSW-169172

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...w-Buffer-Sizes

Regards,
Tope
Old 01-03-2017, 09:11 PM

I recently, dare-I-say, upgraded our Pro Tools system at our studio and have been running into 9171 errors. I spent an hour and a half with Avid on remote desktop today trying to figure it out and had them stumped. We did pretty much every imaginable troubleshooting scenario mentioned here and elsewhere. We can say at this point that it is not the computer's processing at fault since we used the "built-in audio" as the Playback Engine and couldn't produce any errors. It must be something within the HDX chain causing the issue. We concluded our troubleshooting day by having me email them .dlog files and my computer's system report to see if someone higher in command can figure it out. I will keep you posted. My only work around at this point is to suppress errors in the Playback Engine. What a pain and embarrassing around clients...

2014 Mac Mini, OSX 10.12.2, Pro Tools HD 12.7, HDX card, Avid I/O