Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 AM

Default Confusion: Two iloks

Hello,

Back in 2006 I purchased a first generation MBox. I subsequently purchased an iLok (the old green one) to put licenses on for BNR LE and Slightly Rude Compressor.

Two weeks ago I purchased an MBox 3 + Pro Tools 9, which came with a new iLok. I installed PT9 and updates, registered it -- including providing my iLok account (the original one, I still have just the one account), and was off and running. No problems. I did NOTHING to sync or update my iLok account, but PT9 still ran fine.

Then I got the PT10 complimentary upgrade. Now I'm having that classic problem where Pro Tools doesn't recognize my iLok, and I'm trying to troubleshoot that.

One of the steps is to sync my iLok. I don't really understand what this means and I'm hoping to get clarification from this forum before I try it because I understand the iLok thing can be pretty dicey.

On my iLok account page, it says, "You have a new license available." When I click "Download to iLok," it takes me to a page that says, "Pending Licenses." As I might expect, it shows the product to be "Pro Tools 10-9 Bundle."

It also has a link, "License Surrender Required," and next to that a link in red, "DELETE."

So I have two questions:
1. I'm very nervous about clicking either one of these. Does anyone know what the process is here?
2. Do I need both iLoks attached to perform this operation? (No problem, I have both but I'm not sure if that's the appropriate thing to do.)

Thank you!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:52 AM

You'll need to have the ilok with your pt9 license attached. Then it will verify it's there before removing that one and installing the pt10 license (which also includes pt9). It can be a little nerve racking the first time or two, but it's fairly fool proof really.

Fwiw you can also move all your licenses to just the one ilok. Keep the other for a spare/back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Confusion: Two iloks

Thank you CME.

So I think what you're saying is:
  • Attach the iLok with PT9 installed.
  • Uninstall PT9 with iLok attached.
  • Install PT10 with iLok attached.
Is that correct?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Confusion: Two iloks

you also may need to update your PACE drivers for PT10.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:16 PM

Sorry. Not quite. At least if I'm understanding the situation. You have 9 and bought the upgrade to 10?? Now you need to add the PT10 license to your ilok??

If so plug in the ilok with the pt 9 license. Go to ilok.com and log in. It will say something about having new licenses. Tell it you want to download the pt10 license. It will sync with your ilok to make sure you have a pt9 license. Then it will delete that and add the pt9/10 combo license. (this is what it means by surrendering the license).

After that install pt10, if you haven't, and fire it up. It should work. And even if you haven't installed pt10, pt9 will still work also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk