Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Re: HD systems soon to be ABANDONED too, suckers!

Quote:
I have been in many studio's in LA and nobody uses the atto card why? Because they do not work with all macs , they might work with some macs but not all and certainly not any of my three G4s.
I guess you have never been to a studio in L.A. with any of the 40+ PT systems I've built and/or maintained (all with ATTO cards); it sounds like your talking to the wrong "experts".

My systems have been used to score:

Star Trek: Insurrection
The Hulk
Terminator 3
Big Fish
50 First Dates
Van Helsing
Spiderman 2

...and many, many other movies and used to record many, many albums, but these in particular where all 56-64 tracks at 96k with ATTO cards.

Please tell us the specs on your system; I would like to help you get your system running.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Just because you guys check pro tools on 1 g4 doesn't mean they work on all of them
If you read the compatibility documents, you will see all of the systems that they test. They don't test one G4 and say "it works here so it must work in all the other G4 models". If it's not listed in the compatibility documents, its a do-it-at-your-own-risk proposition.
Quote:

Over the years I have had a few oppurtunities to have a few engineers over here who are absolute EXPERTs and I mean experts, and they could not get my system to work
Then they have to eat their words, swallow their pride, and admit that they don't know what is going on.
Quote:
I am not wining people
Oh really? What are you doing then?
Quote:

It just hurts man, twenty thousand dollar investment from a blue collar guy, that's everything I got, and I got absolutley Ripped off by Digidesign
If you have a configuration that fits in the compatibility grid, you got ripped off by your experts, or something is just not working right. You should try calling Digidesign.

I've abandoned SCSI, but not because it didn't work.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:42 PM

I'm just sure there's a lot of folks around here who would gladly relieve you of that junky expanded MIX system (and evil ATTO garbage) & replace it with a bulletproof Cakewalk/Soundblaster rig, or a Tascam 4-track if you require extreme mobility...

Seriously though,
Spend the time to get your system working. It's worth it. PT ain't perfect, but year after year it consistently occupies that inverted crotch area in the middle of the bell curve between features and performance. I'm blowing gobs (I ain't no Senator's son) of money to upgrade to HD, and I'm certain I'm doing the proper thing given my particular circumstances. Your situation sounds different.

Do you make your living recording, editing, or mixing? I somehow doubt it given the tone of your post (and the fact that most clients would gasp if they saw you working in Audacity), but I can't know so please don't be offended if you do. Most professionals accept a certain level of wonkiness from the equipment side of things, it's just the nature of the technological beast. In a practial sense, the higher the price of the room, the less techie weirdness people will tolerate. Usually. For those in the middle, the real trick is being flexible enough to overcome those challenges dynamically, while simultaneously managing to get your client out the door smiling in a reasonable amount of time.

Maybe your Digi system is overkill if you're so happy with the native programs like Audacity (can't remember if that's the one you mentioned in your post, but...). If so, you're foolish to keep the big rig sitting around idle and letting it's dollar value steadily depreciate. Most blue collar comrades I know can't afford to spend money on things they don't use. If this is the case, sell it and continue being happy with another solution.

I just can't understand why you've let a new Ferrari rust out in the driveway just because it MAY or MAY NOT have a flat tire.

Crack open that phatty manual and call tech support or get busy on Ebay. You might still make a few bucks off that rig if you sell it quickly.

Good luck,
S.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:49 PM

This post , the Paris sounds better thread and the one re: digi moving over to Windoze. It's the same rant over and over again . I don't understand what makes these people pop up periodically with the same rant over and over. I'm waiting for the Nuendo mix bus sounds better than the Pro Tools mix bus ones next.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:22 PM

OH NO, not the nuendo bus versus pt bus again!!! I think I need a vacation from this stuff when it hits!
Old 05-30-2004, 05:51 PM

I've notices our troll has not yet returned...
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 05-30-2004, 05:58 PM

troll
Old 05-30-2004, 06:14 PM

This is a stupid JOKE right?

You must be kidding, because if you're using SCSI, then ATTO rocks and I've never had a problem getting 64 tracks on a Mix system with an ATTO card.

Good Luck.
btw, wtf is audacity?
Old 05-30-2004, 06:20 PM

Quote:
btw, wtf is audacity?
An open source audio editor for Mac OS X.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:51 PM

Quote:
/SNIP/ this card that is a 500 dollar card /SNIP/ You guys only push Atto for the $$$$,
/SNIP/ it's that that card makes more money than any other.for digidesign /SNIP/ twenty thousand dollar investment from a blue collar guy, that's everything I got, and I got absolutley Ripped off by Digidesign, The 20 thousand dollar investment is with the new announcement of digi that my system is officially dead, never worked for a single day. How is that for being ripped off. from twenty thousand to Worthless in less than a second.

Your logic makes very little sense.
Digi is going to rely on a third party to sell their gear?
The announcement you also must be referring to is the EOL for Mix. If not, and is an HD announcement, please post a link.
I was using a d24 first w/Adaptec then w/Atto along with FW and internal drives as well.
Do some searching on Answerbase.
Also, if you have talked to some "experts", I'd get some other opinions. Try SoundThinking
Talk to Doug. Tell him Rob Mackinnon referred you. (I get nothing for it btw)
He will get you up to track count.
FWIW 20k system should be able to pay for it self in 2-3 years if not less.

BTW how's the beach today? That's where I'd be.