Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 07-31-2019, 12:18 PM

Default Option to add (2) Tablets to the S3 like the S1

It would be great to see Avid (or a third party) design a simple bracket that you could add/hold two tablets to the S3. And that it would implement the same features as the S1 will be offering with the new Protools-Control app.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Option to add (2) Tablets to the S3 like the S1

I would love to see this as an option!!!
Old 08-01-2019, 09:09 AM

will never happen. the S3 is end of life....and will vanish, after the release of the S1, which brings features like up to 32 faders ...

The s3 is dead...sry
Old 08-01-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
will never happen. the S3 is end of life....and will vanish, after the release of the S1, which brings features like up to 32 faders ...

The s3 is dead...sry
Just opinions here. I would not declare the S3 dead by a longshot. Also, since the multi-screen part of this is Eucon(which works even if the S3 is disconnected), I'd guess being able to use multiple iPads actually seems feasible to me(fingers crossed). In any case, we probably won't know for sure until the S1 and new Eucon are available for purchase

If it works, I can imagine fabricating a dual iPad holder out of a piece of 2x4(but then again, I have built all my own studio furniture and such for the past 16 years). Maybe I'll build a bunch and sell to S3 owners

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-05-2019, 07:23 AM

First off, the S3 is absolutely not at end of life. The S1 and S3 are two different controllers. One does not preclude the other. Artist Mix is a different story.

Secondly, you can add as many tablets as you want to an S3. There is nothing proprietary about the S1 that allows it to pair with a tablet besides the bracket that holds it. The two operate completely separately but in tandem. You will be able to use that same tablet app with or without an S1 or S3 or anything else. It's just PT Control running on a tablet.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibS View Post
you can add as many tablets as you want to an S3. There is nothing proprietary about the S1 that allows it to pair with a tablet besides the bracket that holds it. The two operate completely separately but in tandem. You will be able to use that same tablet app with or without an S1 or S3 or anything else. It's just PT Control running on a tablet.
Not that you won't be able to use multiple tablets with S3, but I'm not sure the above is entirely true. I had heard that the updated Control app will detect the surface being used, so that, with S1 it can act as a meter bridge and presumably bank channels along with the surface. I'm not sure if this functionality will be enabled with the S3, but it is certainly possible.

I am by no means certain of any of this, just going off what I remember from the articles and video surrounding the S1 and PT|Control app date announcement. We won't know for sure until it is released.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Not that you won't be able to use multiple tablets with S3, but I'm not sure the above is entirely true. I had heard that the updated Control app will detect the surface being used, so that, with S1 it can act as a meter bridge and presumably bank channels along with the surface. I'm not sure if this functionality will be enabled with the S3, but it is certainly possible.

I am by no means certain of any of this, just going off what I remember from the articles and video surrounding the S1 and PT|Control app date announcement. We won't know for sure until it is released.
No need to guess. The product manager has already spoken on this forum and said “no” to the exact same questions. You will still be able to use Dock+Control app with S3. S1 will not be supported with the S3.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 12-26-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post

Has anyone tried this successfully already?

It looks like the avid control app can show 4 track meters when the tablet is set in portrait mode, or 8 track meters when set to landscape mode.

So if you want a display meter bridge, it looks like physically you would need either 2 or 4 tablets in order to line it up correctly. In this case, it looks like it will only be 2 because of the physical space constraints.

I'd like to better compare the functionality and features that distinguish an S1 from an S3. A handy display metering bridge that lines up with each track is one such feature I would like to know more about. Does it currently work that way with the S3 or nah
Old 12-26-2019, 11:24 PM

The meter function only seem to work with the S1 and not the S3. I Hope I am wrong but we tried and couldn’t get that sweet metering function with our S3.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-29-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
The meter function only seem to work with the S1 and not the S3. I Hope I am wrong but we tried and couldn’t get that sweet metering function with our S3.
Each control app is bound specifically to a S1 unit in Eucon from what I am seeing with mine. You will literally see this unit in the same line as the S1 not separate as you would for the master control app with the dock. So one meter bridge per S1 is hard set as far as I can tell. They work as a unit. S3 folks need to just accept its not going to happen for them as a meter bridge and honestly for avid there is no need to rewrite to change that. it just is what it is.