Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2019, 06:20 PM

Default Editing Samples and Multisamples

For any of you that do sound design and sample editing, what do you like to use for the job? I'm specifically interested in what you like to use for setting loop points in a sample or multi-sample.

In the past I used Structure a lot, most of the time editing the sample waveform was pretty easy, and most of the time I could set decent loop points...though many times not so much.

I was hoping Falcon 2 would be as good if not better for setting loop points and such, but it doesn't seem to be.

So, I'm wondering what you all might suggest. I'm especially interested in taking a multi-sample, mapping it across the keyboard, and setting good loop points for sustained sounds and such. Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Old 10-28-2019, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Editing Samples and Multisamples

Dynamic Transport for auditioning loop points:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...transport.html
Old 10-29-2019, 04:31 AM

Are you looping musical phrases to a specific BPM or are are you looping sustained instruments?

I use wavelab for looping, but I have looped mostly sustained instruments (winds, brass, etc) with it. It has some cool looping tools, but is probably overkill for musical phrases. As someone who has looped thousands of sustained samples, I can confidently say that getting them to the point that you can no longer hear the loop happening is an extremely tedious, aggravating and difficult process that I would not wish upon my worst enemy. Most library developers have gone to using 10+ second long samples for this very reason.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-29-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Are you looping musical phrases to a specific BPM or are are you looping sustained instruments?

I use wavelab for looping, but I have looped mostly sustained instruments (winds, brass, etc) with it. It has some cool looping tools, but is probably overkill for musical phrases. As someone who has looped thousands of sustained samples, I can confidently say that getting them to the point that you can no longer hear the loop happening is an extremely tedious, aggravating and difficult process that I would not wish upon my worst enemy. Most library developers have gone to using 10+ second long samples for this very reason.
Are you using the full Wavelab or Wavelab Elements? I have the latter.

QAPLA!
Old 10-29-2019, 06:02 AM

I have the full version. Not sure if elements has the same tools I use.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-29-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:

I'm thinking specifically of looping sustained instruments. Like you said, its hard to find the loop points so that the loop isn't noticeable. Hence my question about software.

Can this be done in Pro Tools?

Old 10-29-2019, 04:33 PM

AFAIK pro tools doesn’t have the ability to embed the loop points in the files or adjust them. Kontakt has a very basic loop editor that will add loop points and allow you to adjust them and add crossfades. Kontakt’s looper really isn’t enough to get realistic results by itself, but does have a useful feature where you can adjust loop starts or ends by +1 or -1 samples (not all Samplers agree on how these are calculated, so some loops made in other programs may pop in kontakt at the loop point), There was also an auto looper in the (no longer available) redmatica autosampler software which is now part of apple mainstage. The mainstage version only saves in exs format, and has less features but it is still useful if you own chicken systems translator to convert to kontakt. The redmatica/apple autolooper works well for re-sampling an existing looped sample, not so much for an unprocessed sample. As I mentioned starting with a raw unlooped sample is a tedious process, there’s a lot more to it than just setting loop points if you want it to sound perfect. You’ll definitely need wavelab or something similar... maybe there are better programs for this process these days, but for me it had the stuff I needed to get the job done. The manual sucks, and the GUI is confusing, but with a little experimentation, it can be a very powerful program.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
AFAIK pro tools doesn’t have the ability to embed the loop points in the files or adjust them. Kontakt has a very basic loop editor that will add loop points and allow you to adjust them and add crossfades. Kontakt’s looper really isn’t enough to get realistic results by itself, but does have a useful feature where you can adjust loop starts or ends by +1 or -1 samples (not all Samplers agree on how these are calculated, so some loops made in other programs may pop in kontakt at the loop point), There was also an auto looper in the (no longer available) redmatica autosampler software which is now part of apple mainstage. The mainstage version only saves in exs format, and has less features but it is still useful if you own chicken systems translator to convert to kontakt. The redmatica/apple autolooper works well for re-sampling an existing looped sample, not so much for an unprocessed sample. As I mentioned starting with a raw unlooped sample is a tedious process, there’s a lot more to it than just setting loop points if you want it to sound perfect.

You’ll definitely need wavelab or something similar... maybe there are better programs for this process these days, but for me it had the stuff I needed to get the job done. The manual sucks, and the GUI is confusing, but with a little experimentation, it can be a very powerful program.

Appreciate the info, John. Thanks.