Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-21-2017, 07:51 AM

Default Midi beat clock on Pro Tools 12 // Loop Mode

Hi everyone,

I really tried to search the solution of my problem but i haven't found it.
I saw threads from 2008-9 that haven't been solved.. and after 2010 this problem seems to disappear from the web, i haven't seen nothing about it.

So maybe the problem is solved :) I really don't want to regret my old Logic

I run PT 12 with several drum machines (808,909,SP12,Electribes,etc..)

And when i put PT on Loop mode, some Drum machines react very weirdly with the loop :

Tr-808: start with PT -> play the time of the loop -> stop when the loop restart -> and then the 808 start again with the next PT loop. But after one loop played, the 808 stop again, and so on..

Tr-909: start with PT -> 909 start again with the loop but she drift and loose its sync (and the drift is different each time she loops)

and for example the SP12 works great and re-loop without troubles..

This problem really slow my work flow, because i have to make VERY long loops to have my drum machines properly, and when i wanna make a change on a midi editor track for ex, i have to make it and then duplicate it to the length of the loop to hear how it sounds....

I quote here a resume of an old threads about the subject (from an avid tech regards the 909, it' exactly my problem):

We just did some testing with this on both Mac and WinXP and these were the results:

"TR909 - Continued to loop in both Pattern and Song mode. There was a slight problem with drift, but it never stopped playback. "

MBC Looping

Pro Tools currently loops around MIDI Beat Clock (MBC) when playing in a loop. This feature is needed for instrument plug-ins with built-in sequencers or processing algorithms that rely on looped MBC messages for accurate operation, for example Synchronic. While most external devices should not have a problem with quick jumps of Song Position Pointer (SPP) messages, certain hardware sequencers will behave erratically at the loop point.

The exact MIDI event sequence at the loop point is as follows:
<Stop>
<Song Position Pointer> (pointing to the loop start location)
<Continue>

Other sequencer applications on the market today solve this problem by not looping MBC signals at all, i.e. even though the internal transport will play in a loop the MBC clock signal will continue “straight” and not contain SPP messages. Susceptible hardware sequencers will thus run without hiccups.

We are looking to introduce a preference that will allow users to switch between looped and unlooped MBC clock. Even though we’re well aware of the severity of this issue for some users we cannot discuss a release timeframe at this time. Thank you for your understanding and your continued support!

Someone know if the preference just above was made by Avid ? Or if i can solve this problem in any ways.. I really don't know what to do and it's a big big problem for me..

It would be very strange to have no possibilities to make a Tr-909 loops on a daw like Pro Tools wouldn't it be ??

Any help would be very welcome.

Thanks for reading,

Mattia
Old 05-23-2017, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Midi beat clock on Pro Tools 12 // Loop Mode

I can't believe that no one use a Tr-808 or a Tr-909 with Pro Tools with the Loop mode..

Am i really the only one ?
Old 05-23-2017, 05:50 AM

You might want to try Syncgen II

[url]http://innerclocksystems.com

I use it for syncing a JP8 for the arpeggiator . Works a treat. .
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 05-23-2017, 12:05 PM

Thank you priorytools !!!!!!

you surely put me on the rail of freedom :)

I hope that this box will take the clock of protools, and generate new ones, without PTs strange way to loop beat clocks.. just like Logic or Live can do