Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 12:11 AM

Default New User: System Compatibility Question...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but not to forums in general. I have a question about compatibility. I've read the Digi website thoroughly, but before I make a purchase, I wanted to get some input from real people who use this system. I'd like to know what version of Pro Tools LE (if any) I should purchase given my current system. I'll explain my concerns further, but first here's a rundown of my current system:

12" Apple Powerbook G4 1.33Ghz PPC
OSX 10.3.9 (Panther)
Firewire 400, 2 USB 2.0 inputs
768MB Ram (expandable to 1.25Gigs)

My initial plan was to go with the MBox 2 Mini, but Digidesign's tech pages had reported that there have been some issues with the 12" Powerbook not providing enough power through the USB bus. At present, I can no longer find these warnings. Perhaps the firmware has been updated to fix the problem. So, barring any problems with the mini, my current options are the MBox 2 Mini, MBox 2, and original MBox. I'm aware that if I go with the MBox 2 or Mini, I'll need to upgrade my OS to 10.4.x. I'd rather not do that, but if it comes down to it, it's not a big deal. I guess what I'm most curious about is how powerful/capable the original MBox is. Does it also operate on USB 2.0 speeds? Used MBox's with 6.x LE systems are going for about $130-$180. I'd really like to get into Pro Tools for that price, but if the differences between the MBox and MBox 2 are significant, I may have to go that route.

It's my belief that with a 3-4 year old computer, I may be able to run the Original MBox with greater ease than one of the new MBox 2's, which have higher system requirements. Please let me know if this is the case. I appreciate any input/assistance that you can provide. Any suggestions that I haven't discussed are also welcome. I'm sorry to ask such a basic question, but I'm just worried I might make a several hundred dollar mistake.

Best regards, and I do hope that in the near future I may become an active member of this board (with a new PT system!)

-Ian
Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 AM

Default Re: New User: System Compatibility Question...

Original Mbox seems like a good idea...I believe you will have to run PT6.x

PTLE7.x is only for OSX10.4

I used to use an Mbox (it's actually on Ebay right now!) on a G4 and it always served me well...for simple 1 or 2 in/out, it works fine. However, I would strongly recommend that you max out your RAM and use an external drive (firewire, preferably).

For the price and considering your system, I would say that the original Mbox with PTLE6.x is a great way to get into it.

good luck!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: New User: System Compatibility Question...

thanks mighty burner! It so happens that I have a firewire hard drive already so that's convenient. I appreciate your input. I rarely record more than mono vocals and guitar di/mic'd so I think the original mbox should suit me fine. Thanks again!