Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Save Copy In NOT deleting unused files!

Quote:
4) when you say "I can drag everthing to the left", do you mean using the Trim tool?

With the trim tool.

It should be gone. Should'nt let me drag the edges at all.
Incorrect. It won't COMPACT the audio -- which is destructive.. You'd need to do that first.. or as has been suggested - use the much safer CONSOLIDATE function.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-16-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Hold on... we're getting into some confusion here...

CONSOLIDATE - Option+Shift+3

This will create a new audio file of the selected region(s) or selection using the AudioSuite Duplicate plug-in. The original audio file(s) are left intact.

COMPACT - In the Region List menu

This will truncate the existing audio file(s) and is destructive.

Rail
OOOPS! Rail is completely right! What was I thinking? So sorry for adding to the confusion!
I'm deleting my posts. It's too late and I've been working too long to be giving advice to ANYONE.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:58 AM

To keep it real simple....

Lets say you record one long file lasting for 10 minutes. After recording you have ONE region in the region list. This region represents ONE audio file.

Now if you do lots of editing i.e. cutting away a lot of unwanted stuff you will see your region list getting fuller. Even if you have way more than 100 regions there they still represent ONE audio file ONLY.... If you now select UNUSED a number of regions will get highlighted and you can delete or better said "Remove" those... This WONT erase ANY audio files...

What you can do like other have suggested is :

When done with final editing on the track select all the components in the track and hit shift+alt+3 and PT will consolidate the all the regions to ONE new audio file. Silence in between edits will also get consolidated like this...

or you could do this

In the track after final editing - get the object grabber tool and select all regions in the track... Now open Duplicate from Audio Suite and set region by region. This will create as many separate audio files as there are regions in the track....

If you go to Select unused - PT will now highlight the original Audio recording and if you choose to delete it will get deleted from the hard drive.... All that will remain are the audio files that the AS Duplicated created... however, this will save you space on the HD....

Also - you may wanna read the manual about Regions and Audio Files. This explains in detail how PT regards audio files and regions and auto created regions.... etc.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:19 PM

I have done this time & time again. Saving myself disk space (I wish Final Cut Pro would do this). All the way up to my last PT upgrade. Being from 7.1 to 7.3. Before 7.3 I could say..... record in a 4 min file. Delete from 0 to 1min in the arrangement. Then say delete from 3min to the end of file 4min.. Next remove those sections from the regions list (not delete). Now, in the arrange window at this time I can still drag the hole file back into view. Nothing is destructively gone at this point. Okay. Now I'm done with this arrangement. I have a region that starts at 1min in & goes to 3min. in. The file itself is actually from 0 to 4min still. Now I want to get rid of what I do not need. I go to the regions list & remove unused.
Now I save copy in......with audio.... I close the current session & then open the copy. Before 7.3 the only part that would be in the session would be from 1min in to 3min. in. The rest is gone. Which is what I want. Now the whole file is there.

I'm going to see if I can do this. Consolidate what I want. Remove what I do not. Save copy in....

I bet I do this & the files I do not want plus the consolidated files will now be in the folder....Making the project bigger......
Old 08-17-2007, 09:23 AM

Well I did the consolidate. Then save session copy in. The old files did not show up in the new folder. I should not have to do this. So is this a new bug?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:47 AM

This isn't a bug - it's functioning as expected. You're expecting it to work the way you think it should... not the way it is designed to work or has ever worked.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-21-2007, 07:55 PM

I am having an issue with the "select unused regions" feature, in where i have a BIG session with consolidated tracks after a large amount of beat detecting (therefore thousands of edits). I cannot select unused regions as PT won't actually give me the option (greyed out). This only happens after consolidating the 16 drum tracks after doing all the beat detecting. If i save session copy with all audio files, the problem is still there. The only work-around I was finally able to find was to make a new session and import session data, import everything, and then start from scratch. Very, very strange. This happened to me once before a couple months ago but I was able to fix it by doing a save session copy.

I am also running PT 6.4 and will be upgrading to 7 within the month. Maybe my concerns have been fixed in the latest version.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:26 PM

I think I've found a work around for the "Remove Unused Audio" bug. (the bug is demonstrated here)

If you are trying to make sure that ALL unused audio is removed from the session;

1) select unused audio (cmd-shft-U)
2) remove selected (cmd-shft-B)
3) repeat (as stated earlier in this thread, doing it two times will usually get more unused regions to select)
4) save session
5) close session
6) re-open session
7) select unused audio (cmd-shft-U)
8) remove selected (cmd-shft-B)

Something about closing and re-opening the session allows all the pesky regions to finally be removed properly (for me, anyway). Anyone else have success with this method?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:51 AM

Nice video again.... I believe you have found a truly great way of combining video into a forum. Hopefully "normal" forums will have video features in the future....

Anyway, I've had that problem a few times.... Mostly I'd never cons. like you did in your video - I'd only cons. the actual audio and not the free space - but I guess you did that for the demo purpose... Anyway - there are times where I'M absolutely sure that I am NOT using that "certain" region that is still somehow being display as used. One time this was related to me having made an "error"... Somewhere in between I had done an edit when zoomed into 1 sample - I had isolated a small part of a crack in a guitar recording and muted it with apple+m.... the region was about 7 samples long and ONLY visible when zoomed all the way in.... Plus it was lying further ahead in time about 6 minutes and my song had been edited and arranged and was now at 4 minutes so I this little ghost region was lying somewhere in the edit window where I could not see it - and in addition I had forgotten all about having ever taken that crack out and muted it with apple+m....

I'm not saying that this was the same in your demo but afaik removing unused regions/audio files I have NEVR had PT do something unexpected...

There is however something really strange in your demo video that I have trouble grasping. After you have consolidated all the regions into whole audio files and hit shift+apple+b - the "delete" is grayed out and you only given the option to remove... The "Delete" SHOULD NOT have been disabled in this case. This would definitely be a bug.... Only I have never had that happen to me and I use this feature several times per day... Very strange indeed.

Another way to find out whether the problem could be undo queue related is to manually select a region that pt regards as used but you know is unused and try to delete it - if it's being held in the undo queue then PT will prompt you that the region is used in the undo queue (I dont get this a lot but I've had that dialog a couple of times. If I remember correctly)
Old 08-27-2007, 06:32 AM

Poly915

Great job on the vids.