Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-14-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Save Copy In NOT deleting unused files!

Quote:
Quote:
I am running 7.2, but was editing a session that started on a 7.3 rig. Did the correct routine as Rail described, but some unused files got copied over. I believe I reloaded the main session and did the same routine again, and this time it worked as it should and it didn't copy any unused files.

I don't use regions groups.
Thanks very much for the input, but I have a question. You say that the session started on a 7.3 rig; did this come from another PT user or were you the one (and only one) running the 7.3 rig? Is there any chance that Region Groups were used? Even once?

If it came from someone else, there's always the chance some regions may have been grouped (and then ungrouped) without your knowledge and before delivery to you.
It is slightly possible that region groups were used on the original session. I was running the rig most of the time, but the assistant engineer did run it a bit. I didn't do any region grouping, but he might have. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
It is slightly possible that region groups were used on the original session. I was running the rig most of the time, but the assistant engineer did run it a bit. I didn't do any region grouping, but he might have. Sorry for the confusion.
No confusion at all now. Thanks for understanding that to nail the bug, we have to be 100% sure. I'm sure that I know what I'm doing, you're sure that you know what you're doing, but nobody knows for sure what the assistant did.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:20 AM

When I have a session with a lot of unused takes I go to the region list and hit (shift+Apple+u) PT selects all unused files - now I hit (Shift + Apple+B) Clear and select "Remove" (This will not kill the audio on the hard drive but only remove from session) from the dialog while holding option pressed to dismiss further dialogs..

Now I go to save copy in/as.... and choose to copy the audio files.... Now I CLOSE the session from which I saved the copy and open the copy.....which is NOT lying in the default session folder... If I go to "Audio Files" in that session it will only have the Audio Files contained in the session...

I dont know if you are doing exactly what I am doing but I dont have any problems what so ever...
Old 08-15-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
When I have a session with a lot of unused takes I go to the region list and hit (shift+Apple+u) PT selects all unused files - now I hit (Shift + Apple+B) Clear and select "Remove" (This will not kill the audio on the hard drive but only remove from session) from the dialog while holding option pressed to dismiss further dialogs..

Now I go to save copy in/as.... and choose to copy the audio files.... Now I CLOSE the session from which I saved the copy and open the copy.....which is NOT lying in the default session folder... If I go to "Audio Files" in that session it will only have the Audio Files contained in the session...

I dont know if you are doing exactly what I am doing but I dont have any problems what so ever...
Do you ever use Region Groups?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:26 AM

I think it's safe to say that this bug is not related to the "Save Session Copy In..." but rather the "Remove Unused Audio" feature. Agreed?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the post. Okay, I've got 16 tracks 1.5hrs. in length. The folder is 5gig. I only need 2 songs out of the whole thing. They are around 45 min in. So I high light everything in front & everything after. Then I delete them from the arrange window. Now I go to the regions list & choose select unused. Then I clear unused & remove(not delete).
Then I do a save copy in to a new folder. Then I open that copy. Everthing looks fine but, I can drag everthing to the left & to the right of the 2 songs I only need. That audio should be gone. The copyed folder is still 5gig instead of the 500meg or so it should be. This is the problem.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the post. Okay, I've got 16 tracks 1.5hrs. in length. The folder is 5gig. I only need 2 songs out of the whole thing. They are around 45 min in. So I high light everything in front & everything after. Then I delete them from the arrange window. Now I go to the regions list & choose select unused. Then I clear unused & remove(not delete).
Then I do a save copy in to a new folder. Then I open that copy. Everthing looks fine but, I can drag everthing to the left & to the right of the 2 songs I only need. That audio should be gone. The copyed folder is still 5gig instead of the 500meg or so it should be. This is the problem.
Let me get a couple of things clear in my head;

1) when you "select unused audio", do you see items being selected in the regions list?
2) when you "remove unused audio", do you see those items removed from the regions list?
3) most importantly, are the audio regions you are deleting from the arrangement part of the same audio files as the parts you are leaving in (or are they separate audio files)?
4) when you say "I can drag everthing to the left", do you mean using the Trim tool?

P
Old 08-15-2007, 11:02 PM

1) when you "select unused audio", do you see items being selected in the regions list?

Yes

2) when you "remove unused audio", do you see those items removed from the regions list?

Yes

3) most importantly, are the audio regions you are deleting from the arrangement part of the same audio files as the parts you are leaving in (or are they separate audio files)?

The same. Not Seperate.

4) when you say "I can drag everthing to the left", do you mean using the Trim tool?

With the trim tool.

It should be gone. Should'nt let me drag the edges at all.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:20 PM

If I understand corectly, you have a 1,5 hr continuous recording and need only a bit in the middle? In that case, you should create a new audio file by consolidating (only) the bit you want to keep. Then you can get rid of the original audio file and regions.

R.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Save Copy In NOT deleting unused files! *DELETED*

Post deleted by poly915