Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-25-2006, 02:18 PM

Default Mid-Side Mic\'ing (not the technique, the mic)

I was wondering if anybody has heard of or has this microphone. PAIA Mid-Side Microphone

A friend of mine, that I'm recording his acoustic stuff, called me and asked "Have you heard of a mid-side microphone?" I was confused when I was asked about it, and said, "Yeah, it's a technique of mic placement, I know how to do that." and the guy was all, "No no no, it's a mid-side microphone." The music-technology teacher at my school highly recommends it, and I usually trust his word (google search "Doug Forbes" "theremin"). Let me know what any of you think. Could this be useful for mic'ing a cab too? Thanks for the help.
-Ryan

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 05-25-2006, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Mid-Side Mic\'ing (not the technique, the mic)

It looks cool, but I'd rather have 2 mics that I could move whever I want. I'm sure it sounds great, but it's such a niche thing that I wouldn't consider buying it unless you've already got a pretty full compliment of mics around and you're not able to get the sound you want with any them.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:07 PM

You can use a separate forward facing uni-directional and a side facing bi-directional to achieve a mid-side recording. It's advantage is that you get a great stereo image and when combining to mono there is no phasing problems. I use a Shure VP-88 on my stage for good video sound during plays and comedy routines. Also ocassionally for drum overheads and bands that know how to play live with dynamics.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:04 AM

To be honest it isn't something I would bother with, 2 sm58 at 45 degrees will give you the same effect and be more useful as singers Mics and plenty of other uses. This doesn't really have any other use. I have a stereo condenser Mic which I use every now and then, but stereo mics have limited uses in a studio and out of them. If this is one of your first purchases think what you want from a Mic first..is it to record an acoustic guitar? then get a nice cheap condenser Mic like the AKG C1000 it will serve you well and be useful on a million projects, if your budget runs to it get two and contact me via my website and I will show you how to record them in stereo without phasing.