Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2021, 10:01 AM

Default Distorted Audio Recorded From Drum Machine Sync'd To Midi Beat Clock

Using an Elektron Model:Cycles, connected via midi cables to my 002R(yes I know, I know, but she still works perfectly), monitoring the audio via a mackie mixer, no distortion in the audio from the elektron, and gain staging and levels are -10 ish in Pro Tools, no clipping. The elektron is sync'd via midi beat clock. So when I record, the monitored audio sounds great, when I play back, what was recorded is distorted to hell. I rebooted, and retested and it sounded better, however there are artifacts, clicking and popping here and there. I have recorded perfectly via the usb port on the Elektron, but would like to use the 002 midi interface instead, just wondering what this problem could be or what setting I am overlooking! Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2021, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Distorted Audio Recorded From Drum Machine Sync'd To Midi Beat Clock

Sounds like she doesn't still work perfectly.

So you're running the Cycles box via midi generated from PT or ? And you're recording the audio outputs of that box via usb into PT? Not sure which part the 002 is playing in your chain.

First idea, if the audio waveforms look ok (not clipped) in PT then be sure you're not just retriggering Cycles while you're playing it back so you'd have two signal sources; the recorded audio plus the retriggering midi audio... Just a thought.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Distorted Audio Recorded From Drum Machine Sync'd To Midi Beat Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
Sounds like she doesn't still work perfectly.

So you're running the Cycles box via midi generated from PT or ? And you're recording the audio outputs of that box via usb into PT? Not sure which part the 002 is playing in your chain.

First idea, if the audio waveforms look ok (not clipped) in PT then be sure you're not just retriggering Cycles while you're playing it back so you'd have two signal sources; the recorded audio plus the retriggering midi audio... Just a thought.
Haha well, I don't know that it's actually a 002 problem yet lol
The Cycles box is simply receiving midi beat clock so it's synchronized to pro tools. Just start/stop

Waveforms are fine, no clipping. It IS retriggering the Cycles, but that's fine, I'm aware of that and the live channels are muted when playing back.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:58 PM

no i'm recording audio from the cycles box into the 002 analog inputs, AND using Pro Tools to send midi beat clock for sync, via the 002's midi outputs. Audio is all distorted. It's fine if I switch to sending midi beat clock to the Elektron via a usb port from the computer rather than midi from the 002
Old 01-23-2021, 03:11 PM

Not so clear but sounds like when you play back you have the unit still sending signal to the mixer as well as audio playing back from PT that you recorded thus doubling the output?

Just a shot.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:18 PM

Nope. The audio from the mixer is muted. The audio to the hard disk is screwed when it is recorded triggered from midi beat clock in pro tools from the physical 002 midi ports. If I switch that to be the usb port from the computer transmitting midi beat clock, then the audio is fine. It doesn't make sense. At this point only think I can think of is there's some sort of problem with the 002's midi interface. I dunno.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:25 PM

This is unexplainable so far. I thought I maybe had the problem solved, maybe it was just the midi interface on the 002.. i switched to midi beat clock through the direct USB input.. audio recorded from the device was then fine. Thought I was good, did 3 passes no problems. Then when I checked the 4th recording audio is all screwed up! What could be the problem? Perhaps the 002r has finally seen it's day?
Old 01-24-2021, 04:26 PM

holy crap and now since i posted the last post... i go back to pro tools and the same track that was all digitally distorted is now fine. Something weird is going on.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:14 PM

Problem Solved! It WAS the 002 I'm assuming it was the driver, since it's so old.. and technically it was an 003 driver so I'm lucky it worked at all. I've finally upgraded my interface and now back in business better than ever!