Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2001, 09:34 AM

Default OT: Anyone tried a Korg Oasys?

I'm looking for a new synth and was thinking about a Korg Trinity or Triton rack. I've just heard that Korg are selling the Korg Oasys card with the Triton sound set cheaply. Anyone used one of these before? Opinions?

Cheers,

Mike

Old 04-29-2001, 11:27 AM

Default Re: OT: Anyone tried a Korg Oasys?

I'm currently using a Korg Trinity V3 after retiring an ancient Roland, and if I had it all to do again, I wouldn't buy the Korg. The Korg is a great instrument, no doubt about it, but the punch and edge to its sounds just isn't there compared to the Roland. As far as I know, Korg only sells the stock Trinity anymore, so you may want to upgrade the Trinity with the solo, V3 or hard drive cards which won't be cheap. And you can add them to the Triton too, but other than arps and a few other features that the Triton has, there isn't that much difference between a Trinity and a Triton.

Ultimately, the decision is yours, but I'm currently giving serious thought to bringing out of retirement my Roland just so I have a much wider soundscape.
Old 05-01-2001, 06:00 PM

Well, I have one but it's currently not hooked up, I bought it when I was thinking of going with Digital Performer, and had a slot available in my new G4....but when I switched to PT I had to take it out, not having an expansion chassis yet..so, I only tried it for a brief while, and my incomplete impression was that sonically it was superb, and it had less hype-y soundsets, very edgy and punchy, I liked it alot. It's much fuller than the Roland stuff that I use(JV1010 and XV 3080)...I like them both for different things..I'm considering selling it since I'm spending money on other things beside an expansion chassis, but I really would like to beable to use it...for what it's worth
Eric
Old 05-02-2001, 05:32 AM

It is on sale now for $499 at Guitar Center. I haven't heard it but I am slighty tempted to check it out for that price considering it lists for over $2,000.

Jason