Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2013, 04:57 PM

Default MP3 bouncing is something Avid wants $20 for

I purchased Pro Tools some time ago and have come to find that MP3 bouncing is something Avid wants $20 for. No idea why. Just bounce to .wav and convert with one of the countless converters out there (audacity) for free. It's what tons of us are doing. Why we're supposed to pay a premium for Pro Tools and then have to pay $20 more for the privilege of bouncing to MP3 is weird.

For the record, I actually tried to activate my MP3 option, and the activation process froze my Mac 3 times, forced me to "manually authorize" which was such a huge pain in the butt that I just went with a free converter and it's a breeze.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Avid

Default Re: MP3 bouncing is something Avid wants $20 for

Prior to v9, MP3 Option was an add-on for those that wanted MP3 support, and the cost basically covered the license fee that Fraunhofer charged Avid for their codec.

Starting with Pro Tools 9, MP3 Option is 'bundled' with the app (included in the price of PT).

Hope this info helps.

-JC