Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-08-2010, 10:12 AM

Default Pro Tools Application File (DMG) missing!

Some idiot managed to delete the actual Pro Tools Application file from my computer, and now i cant load up any sessions because my Mac Pro cant find the program. Do i have to reinstall pro Tools or is there a quick solution to get the file back?

And if i do will a reinstallation interfere with the plugins and settings that i have already?

Hwo do i prevent the next idiot from doing the same thing? (I rent my space out to producers).
Old 09-08-2010, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Application File (DMG) missing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvenx2208 View Post
Hwo do i prevent the next idiot from doing the same thing? (I rent my space out to producers).
Don't let idiots use your computer.

The ideal way, would to have a setup that is only for those to whom you rent. If that isn't possible, you should keep a clone that is for you alone. Put it on a separate drive that you simply have to plug in and go. That way, after someone else uses the setup, you don't have to worry about things getting moved, or going missing.

Recovering the App file could be interesting. Have you check the usual places? Trash bin, etc...?

You might have to do a reinstall, but reinstalling shouldn't affect any of your plugins. If you do reinstall, run the uninstaller first. It won't touch your plugins folder.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-08-2010, 11:46 AM

Yea it looks like im gonna have to cover my ass a little better next time. Ive searched High and Low for the App file but it is gone. He even managed to empty the trash bin too lol.

I dont mind reinstalling if it wont affect my plugins. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 AM

There are 2 ways to do the un-install! Do the "Safe" one if you just need the app file, and you are installing the same version. I always copy the plugins and plugin settings folders just to be safe.
If you're going to do all the cs updates, etc, I would do the "clean uninstall" and just start over.
Still copy your plugs and settings folder, and you can replace the newly installed versions.

I guess this is where the guest account on the Mac comes in handy?
Good luck!