Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2008, 12:30 PM

Default ProTools LE really needs ADC

What a huge pain in the buttocks trying to figure out delay compensation manually!
I use UAD-1 plugins for most of my tracks and I gotta say, it is a HUGE pain in the ass to have to figure out the delay compensation for a large mix.
Plus, you have to be a math wiz to compensate for the odd sample delay induced by instruments on top of the UAD-1 delay.
I hope Digidesign makes this happen. All other DAWs have this.
4gig Ram
Mac 10.4.11 Tiger
Mackie MCU & (2) Xtenders
Unitor 8 mkII
Radium 64
Old 01-12-2008, 01:07 PM

Default Re: ProTools LE really needs ADC

man i tell you what, i'm not ready to sell my roland vs2000cd", you can use it anyway you want , with live effects and all with no delay", without any worries, i just jumped on board with pro tools, i'm not even up and running yet(been two weeks), i emailed tech support, and they state 3 days with reply?, its been 5 days and no help from digi?,and i'm registered? and yes i gave them the proper information and still no help?

Old 01-12-2008, 04:36 PM

My recommendation to anyone who is on LE is to not use UAD plugs, unless they are going to be on the master, which is what I use them for when in LE. Simple as that. For the record, I think you need to get a better handle on how to manage lack of ADC, for a lot of people; it is simple and just a matter of workflow. I know a guy who uses UAD, Duende, and Liquid Mix all in Protools LE and it’s pretty seamless for him.

My opinion, Massey, Waves V, SSL, and API are very good plugs, cause little to no delay, making lack of delay compensation moot. Yes I agree, the UAD plugs are the very best, but you can live without them.

FWIW, in HD, UAD's work just fine due to HD's delay compensation. Digi is not going to offer Delay Compensation in the near future. So you'll either have to deal with that, or move on. It is what it is, it's an age-old discussion, and people just have to accept the fact. You can get a used HD1 PCIe Accel system for 4 grand. If that's not possible for you, then you'll have to accept the deal. Again, it is what it is.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-12-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
What a huge pain in the buttocks trying to figure out delay compensation manually!
I use UAD-1 plugins for most of my tracks and I gotta say, it is a HUGE pain in the ass to have to figure out the delay compensation for a large mix.
Plus, you have to be a math wiz to compensate for the odd sample delay induced by instruments on top of the UAD-1 delay.
I hope Digidesign makes this happen. All other DAWs have this.
It's crazy i know, No other native solution has these problems.

In 2008, a DAW without ADC, is kind of like a word-processor without a spell checker !

This should not be an 'HD only feature' ?? !!

HD systems should be about *more power*, *more i/o*, *big control surfaces* for those that need them...not for a feature that even the hapless steinberg team managed to add to the $200 Cubase LE package 4 years ago !

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 01-12-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
My recommendation to anyone who is on LE is to not use UAD plugs, unless they are going to be on the master, which is what I use them for when in LE. Simple as that. For the record, I think you need to get a better handle on how to manage lack of ADC, for a lot of people; it is simple and just a matter of workflow. I know a guy who uses UAD, Duende, and Liquid Mix all in Protools LE and it’s pretty seamless for him.

My opinion, Massey, Waves V, SSL, and API are very good plugs, cause little to no delay, making lack of delay compensation moot. Yes I agree, the UAD plugs are the very best, but you can live without them.

FWIW, in HD, UAD's work just fine due to HD's delay compensation. Digi is not going to offer Delay Compensation in the near future. So you'll either have to deal with that, or move on. It is what it is, it's an age-old discussion, and people just have to accept the fact. You can get a used HD1 PCIe Accel system for 4 grand. If that's not possible for you, then you'll have to accept the deal. Again, it is what it is.
Just how much of a nightmare is the no ADC in LE? Here I am considering downgrading from an HD3 rig to a 003 LE rig. I thought all one had to do was view the amount of latency on each track and then nudge it that much or use Digi's little plugin on all the other tracks to shift them? Please advise just how hard all this is! I was also considering getting some UAD cards and I already have a liquid mix. Am I a fool for thinking of downgrading and liquidating some?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:28 PM

Man, it's really not hard to deal with. You just have to figure it all out. I use UAD plugs in LE not issue, you develop workflow strategies, and I don't even nudge tracks. It's the new guys who have issue with it. Don't worry about it. My advice was to someone who is not as experienced in Protools.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-12-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Man, it's really not hard to deal with. You just have to figure it all out. I use UAD plugs in LE not issue, you develop workflow strategies, and I don't even nudge tracks. It's the new guys who have issue with it. Don't worry about it. My advice was to someone who is not as experienced in Protools.
Can you give me/us some quick tips/pointers for dealing with the no ADC thing as far as UAD and the liquid mix are concerned? It would be greatly appreciated. I am just wondering if these type of things don't report accurate delay so you have no idea exactly how much to nudge? Bear in mind I have never used LE, only HD so I am spoiled with ADC... I am so afraid I will make this downgrade and then want to hang myself..lol.. I am imagining tracks all over the place not syncing up. I do electronic music too so timing for me has to be almost sample accurate. Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:33 PM

It really "kills the buzz" when mixing. Having to worry about what plugin (not just UAD-1)has latency. There are noticable sound issues when you have a ton of tracks and do not manually delay compensate correctly.

I own Logic 8, Digital Performer, Tracktion 3, Cubase 4.1, Samplitude 10 and wanted to master using / mixing in Pro Tools LE without having to spend an arm & leg.

I will still use Pro Tools LE, just not for mixing. I like using Strike and Hybrid and the Elastic audio, plus I need to get my Pro Tools "chops" up as I work with different people that use this platform. My point was just an opinion. Hats off to the manual latency experts. I am not willing to wrestle with this issue at mix time. It can get tricky doing the manual latency with a big project.

ADC would make LE that much more competitive with current native DAWs.
Regards,
Rich
4gig Ram
Mac 10.4.11 Tiger
Unitor 8 mkII
Radium 64
Old 01-12-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:

It's crazy i know, No other native solution has these problems.

In 2008, a DAW without ADC, is kind of like a word-processor without a spell checker !

This should not be an 'HD only feature' ?? !!

HD systems should be about *more power*, *more i/o*, *big control surfaces* for those that need them...not for a feature that even the hapless steinberg team managed to add to the $200 Cubase LE package 4 years ago !

I whole heartedly agree!
4gig Ram
Mac 10.4.11 Tiger
Unitor 8 mkII
Radium 64
Old 01-12-2008, 10:48 PM

No one will disagree with you, but it's a moot point. Part of the cost of using Protools LE, is, it doesn't have it. It's been complained about more than any single feature and Digi is not listening. Debate that all we want, but I can't overstate this enough.

It Is What It Is