Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2015, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Mbox (and Pro Tools) issue after installing RAM

You can do it.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 08-20-2015, 07:03 PM

Haha thanks, mate!

I am out of town now, and I didn't have time to give it a try before I head to North Dakota tomorrow (visiting family), so it'll be over a week before I can get to it. I'll be sure to post the results as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks again for the helpful tips thus far, I'll be back after this somewhat brief hiatus!

Simmons Electronic Drumset, Fender Mustang Bass, Ibanez 6-String Electric, Casio Synthesizer/Keyboard

One-man band
Old 08-30-2015, 11:38 AM

Well I just got back from vacation yesterday, and I did what I said I would do - I replaced the new RAM chips with the old.

All I can say is... SUCCESS!

I have no idea why installing more RAM would cause this, but I would rather have sound than no sound. Therefore, I will be leaving my computer the way it is for now.

That being said, does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening? I would eventually like to increase the efficiency of my computer. Based on the responses I've seen here, it seems that this is a strange thing to have happen.

Any extra information you might have would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Simmons Electronic Drumset, Fender Mustang Bass, Ibanez 6-String Electric, Casio Synthesizer/Keyboard

One-man band
Old 08-31-2015, 08:53 AM

I would also like to note that buying a new computer is not really an option for me right now (for financial reasons), so I'd really like to use the upgrade at some point soon. That is, if we can figure this out.

The chips only cost me $50, so it wasn't necessarily a big waste.

One-man band
Old 08-31-2015, 09:12 AM

Was the ram all from the same company? Were the chips of same value? It really should be of same value if I'm explaining it right. Maybe ram is bad from new company.

Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 08-31-2015, 03:29 PM

I replaced my 2gb chips with 8gb (2 x 1gb and 2 x 4gb).

They weren't from the same company, actually... Something tells me that may be the problem. The maximum amount my computer can hold is 8, so that shouldn't have been the issue (especially because everything else worked much better).

After installing the 8gb, my computer was instantly faster (I saw the dreaded color wheel a lot less). This leads me to believe that the new chips may have been incompatible somehow, even though they specifically said for Mac.

It's also possible that the chips could have been meant for a newer Macbook pro.

What I'll do is this:

I'll write down all information on the RAM chips that I'm currently using

I will make sure to look at different Samsung options, which is the brand that currently works for me

I will research and make sure that it is the brand that is incompatible. I think there's definitely a good chance that you're right about that.

One-man band