Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2016, 01:02 PM

Default Cannot reinstall Pro Tools LE 8 after computer crash and hard drive replacement

Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
Inte Core 2 CPU
[email protected] Ghz
1.99 GB Ram

Worked fine before the crash.
This computer is NOT connected to the internet.
Installed from the original disc - Pro Tools LE 8 - after the computer had a new HD installed and re-installed Windows XP.

Crashes/not responding when ever it gets to
'Loading plug-ins'
'Structure.dpm'

Any helpful hints would be great. The hard drive contains these programs:
Windows XP
Apple Application Support ?
CDBurnerXP
Digidesign Audio Drivers 8.0
Digidesign Protools Creative Collection 8.0
Free DigiRack Plug-Ins 8.0
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver
Interlok driver set up x32
Java 7 Update 45
K-Lite Codec Pack 10.1.5 Full
MS Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
MS Framework 3.0 Service Pack 3
MS Framework 3.5 SP1
MS Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
QuickTime
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
TL Space Native
VLC media player 2.1.1

Willing to remove/alter any of the above.

Help appreciated. Hopefully, I'm just doing something stupid and an easy fix is at hand.

BTW, I do have the MusicXPC C5 Pro Factory Recovery DVD if that helps. I have not run that as I am not a computer literate person enough to configure the dang computer, just able to use well laid out programs. TIA
Old 03-22-2016, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Cannot reinstall Pro Tools LE 8 after computer crash and hard drive replacement

since many of the original LE8 installer disks were bad, I would search out a downloaded version(if you are a registered user, you can download from your MyAvid account under the My Products section).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-22-2016, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Cannot reinstall Pro Tools LE 8 after computer crash and hard drive replacement

Well, I bought this system with all the discs from my friend who upgraded. I have all the cards and license numbers that go with that.

Were many of those discs really bad? I wonder if I could use the license numbers to create a new account?

I should have mentioned it came with an iLok which is in the computer, but I thought that the iLok was just for some of the plug-ins.

I also have the discs for M-Powered 7. Is that just a similar Pro Tools program but just an earlier version? Would downloading that first help?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 PM

For crashes loading plugins you can also trash prefs and databases and try temporarily move out all plugin (*.dpm) files from the plugin folder and see if Pro Tools will start up without them. (see the "help us help you" link up top of this page for trashing prefs adnd databases)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEFool View Post
Well, I bought this system with all the discs from my friend who upgraded. I have all the cards and license numbers that go with that.
They upgraded what? They upgraded from Pro Tool 8 LE to a later version of Pro Tools? Doing an actual upgrade/crossgrade, then technically they can't sell you this software. How much more detail do you want to get into here?

Quote:
Were many of those discs really bad?
Yes, which is why it was mentioned. If many were not bad folks here would not have mentioned it. And the simple as all hell solution was given to you... just search for the Pro Tools 8 LE installers. Top Google result, no need to create accounts or dick around.

Quote:
I wonder if I could use the license numbers to create a new account?
No. The easy solution was given to you.

Quote:
I should have mentioned it came with an iLok which is in the computer, but I thought that the iLok was just for some of the plug-ins.
Indeed, Pro Tools 8 LE itself uses the Digidesign interface itself as a license dongle, not an iLok.

Quote:
I also have the discs for M-Powered 7. Is that just a similar Pro Tools program but just an earlier version? Would downloading that first help?
M-Powered 7 is a lot less capable than 8 LE. Both are pretty ancient software. Hopefully you are paying attention to the systems requirements and installing a suitable OS version. (like you actually reisntalled a full clean version of Windows XP, in addition to there being something on the hard drive called "Windows XP").
Old 03-22-2016, 08:53 PM

Darryl, sorry to have wasted your time.
*My friend bought an entire new system and purchased a higher level Digi interface and Pro Tools 10. He did not upgrade his software. Wrong use of the word upgrade... a non-tech savvy error. Besides, I actually purchased an MBox2 w/Pro Tools 8 from a licensed dealer. I sold that interface/software to a friend and purchased this.
*I thank you for the recommendation to trash the plug-in.

I don't believe I've done anything shady or illegal. And yes, the new hard drive had the entire OS reinstalled.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:08 PM

Well, deleting the 'structure.dpm' file allowed the program to load. Now it won't take the activation code, which I have.

I'm thinking I must connect it to the internet?