How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2013, 04:10 AM

Default Can't convert instrument tracks to audio in 10.3.5

Hi.

Having a problem with the upgrade to 10.3.5.

Previously, towards the end of a VI heavy track, I convert them all to audio. I'd usually do this by changing the output of each instrument track to a 'new track', and I'd then create an audio track and record it across.

All of a sudden I can't do this on 10.3.5. Whenever i change the output of the instrument track to 'new track' and create the new audio track, Protools seems to automatically disable the original instrument track. It's weeeeeeeeeeird.

I previosly did this with all my tracks, in every past version of Protools. If I try and record the instrument track onto the new audio track, a box pops up saying 'the track could not be record enabled because it doesn't have both an active input and output assigned.

Anyone...?
Old 05-16-2013, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Can't convert instrument tracks to audio in 10.3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shameusf View Post
Previously, towards the end of a VI heavy track, I convert them all to audio. I'd usually do this by changing the output of each instrument track to a 'new track', and I'd then create an audio track and record it across.
Have not tried that. Here is what I do :

Output the instrument track to a available bus and select that bus as input on the audio track I record to.
Have you tried that ?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Hi.

All of a sudden I can't do this on 10.3.5. Whenever i change the output of the instrument track to 'new track' and create the new audio track, Protools seems to automatically disable the original instrument track. It's weeeeeeeeeeird.

I previosly did this with all my tracks, in every past version of Protools. If I try and record the instrument track onto the new audio track, a box pops up saying 'the track could not be record enabled because it doesn't have both an active input and output assigned.

Anyone...?
I do this every day and have not had that problem. Are you going stereo to stereo and mono to mono tracks? You are record enabling the audio track and not the instrument track right? Been using 10.3.5 since the day it came out.

You don't say if you're on a Mac or Windoze. There's been some problems with 10.3.5 on the Windoze platform.

QAPLA!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:20 PM

I also have not had issues, but I stopped using the "New Track" option as it tends to clog up the buses list by adding to it endlessly. I select a bus(stereo), add a new stereo AUDIO track and set the input. Yes, its a step backward, but it works every time

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-16-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I also have not had issues, but I stopped using the "New Track" option as it tends to clog up the buses list by adding to it endlessly. I select a bus(stereo), add a new stereo AUDIO track and set the input. Yes, its a step backward, but it works every time
But you still end up using a bus for the routing.

QAPLA!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
But you still end up using a bus for the routing.
Yes, but I am choosing from the existing list, which is usually way more than I need. If I run out(about once a year), then I will resort to the "New Track" option. Say I have a session with 8 tracks of vocals that all need to be Melodyned. When I go to print the tuned audio, I need 8 buses and 8 new audio tracks. If I use the "New Tracks' function, my list of buses gets 8 more paths with labels like BGV1tnd, BGV2tnd, etc. Do that a few times and the bus list gets crazy long and I have to delete whole bunches every so often. Of course, many of us have different needs

Old 05-17-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, but I am choosing from the existing list, which is usually way more than I need. If I run out(about once a year), then I will resort to the "New Track" option. Say I have a session with 8 tracks of vocals that all need to be Melodyned. When I go to print the tuned audio, I need 8 buses and 8 new audio tracks. If I use the "New Tracks' function, my list of buses gets 8 more paths with labels like BGV1tnd, BGV2tnd, etc. Do that a few times and the bus list gets crazy long and I have to delete whole bunches every so often. Of course, many of us have different needs
I hate to doubt you because of your experience (and I mean that in a good way) with Pro Tools but at least on my system that's in my sig file the bus list doesn't grow. In the I/O setup screen in the bus tab I hit default and I get the 3 buses at the top for the 3 sets used by my 11 Rack and then I have 64 numbered stereo buses. Yes by my using the 'New Track' function I get however many new named buses but I still only have 64 stereo bus paths (I use mainly stereo tracks) in that list. For example I have 8 instrument tracks of pianos (piano 1, piano 2, etc.) and when I go to render them to audio I use the 'New Track' function. I get 8 listings in the bus list named piano 1, piano 2, etc. But the bus list itself doesn't grow - I just lose 8 numbered buses and the next numbered bus I have available in the list is bus path 17/18.

QAPLA!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 AM

Interesting. I can think of 2 things that might be going on. 1-maybe its different on a Mac, and 2-you may be correct that the list is not growing, but being renamed, but that scenario still makes it confusing With all my "vast"(heavy throat clearing) experience, I still learn something new on a regular basis

Old 05-17-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I can think of 2 things that might be going on. 1-maybe its different on a Mac, and 2-you may be correct that the list is not growing, but being renamed, but that scenario still makes it confusing With all my "vast"(heavy throat clearing) experience, I still learn something new on a regular basis
I also wonder if the difference is because you're on 10HD and I'm on 10 regular?

QAPLA!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Hi.

Anyone...?
Try going to SETUP> I/O> BUS tab and default your busses. Pro Tools maybe assigning an unavailable internal or analog Bus to your new track. Delete the non working new tracks and assign your instrument tracks' output back to a working output before you default your busses. After defaulting try assigning the output to a new track again and see what happens.