Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-22-2007, 04:48 PM

Default PT 7.3/Mbox Pro 2 Sound Input/Output Issues

Hello All,

I've been trying to get my PT 7.3/Mbox Pro 2 to work for the past weekend and I have been unsucccesful. I've installed the software and drivers per the startup guide and have done the computer optimization as stated and when I've started the software up, I have not been able to detect any inputs like my keyboard or a mic. I've also installed the demo to see if there's any outputs coming from my monitors and again there's no sound. In the software, i'm not even seeing the green volume bar located in each track move at all meaning i'm not detecting any of my inputs. I've tried changing from different analog inputs and outputs and have even messed with the I/O configuration but that did not work. I have indeed changed my windows audio setup to use the mbox as my sound card and have even disabled my computer's sound card but that did not change things. When I unplug the firewire connection from the Mbox to the computer, I could hear my keyboard and mic working fine from the monitors. I'm not sure if this is a firmware or driver issue as it seems that when I plug it into my computer it stops working. Also, could it be that i'm using a 6pin to 4pin firewire adapter since that is all my computer has. I'm not sure if this will affect it since all I thought that affected was power to the Mbox. I don't know. Any help would be appreciated. My computer configuration is below. Thanks again!

HP Laptop PC
Windows XP Professional OS Version 2002 Service Pack2
Intel P4 Processor 3.06 GHz
512 MB of DDR
80 GB HD with an external 300 GB HD attached.
Contains a single 4-pin firewire port (bought 4-to-6 pin firewire converter)
Contains 4 USB ports
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
Old 04-22-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: PT 7.3/Mbox Pro 2 Sound Input/Output Issues

Joker, just to clarify, did you hook up the Mbox outputs to your monitors? It sounds like you're trying to run the outputs out of your computer instead of physically connecting the audio cables out of the Mbox into your monitors.

As for hearing your instruments, you clicked "Record enable" on the tracks in ProTools and made sure the inputs (A1, A2, etc.) corresponded? It sounds like things might not have been all hooked up correctly.

I realize these are really simple things that I'm sure you already did, but it never hurts to check.

The 6-to-4 pin thing could be an issue... maybe someone with more technical expertise can advise.

Good luck
Old 04-22-2007, 06:16 PM

Hey DJ, I connected the monitors to the "Mon Out" of my Mbox and connected the instruments/mic to the respective inputs. Also, I did click record enable and made sure the inputs corresponded but thanks for clarifying. So i'm still unsure of things. As with the 6-to-4 pin converter, people have had success with it so i'm still undecided whether its that or not. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions. If I don't get a fix by tonight, i'll call product support.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:49 PM

I have the same problom dude!! Get the newest Ptle7.3.1.cs update and install that, That kinda fixed my issue but not all the way, I have a way around it tho.

First get that update, Install it and restart, Run protools and see if anything works, If it doesent close it down and re install that update, after it reboots it should work, I had this Exact same problom, Also remember to open up your Mixer track and select the right inputs and press the [R] to here the sound run threw.

I honestly think its a bug with the new Mboxes....i had this problom for a long time! and digisupport acts like a nigga is stupid sumtimes, Since i didnt get any helpfull responsis, Only, make sure you press R, and you cant here Audio threw Midi, and so on. lol

before opening up protools, try to open an mp3 from the computer, and see if it works for ya, if theres sound comming threw, Open up Pt, Try to run it, if there is no sound at all, u got the same problom i have, Just run the Cs update instal reboat and Pt should work fine...Untill u turn off the computer that is..lol
Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 AM

Adlib, I tried updating to 7.3.1 with the upgrade disk the package came with and tried to reinstall that and restarted it but it still did not work. Hopefully product support has a fix. If not, I might have a problem with my mbox. Thanks for the suggestions!