Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2020, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Reason Rack AAX -

I just watched a video at Groove 3 on Reason 11 and the Rack with Paul Ortiz. Apparently there is currently NO MIDI out feature for the players in the rack... or at least there wasn't with 11.1. Don't know if that's changed yet or not.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:44 AM

Default Reason Rack AAX -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I just watched a video at Groove 3 on Reason 11 and the Rack with Paul Ortiz. Apparently there is currently NO MIDI out feature for the players in the rack... or at least there wasn't with 11.1. Don't know if that's changed yet or not.

No there definitely is. It was added in 11.2 which is what that video I linked is showing.

I can get MIDI to pass, but not the arpeggios or chords. It just passes the single note input.

As I said, I could have sworn I did this with Cthulhu and if you agree that I’m not imaging that, then it leads me to believe that in theory it should be possible. So, if it’s not a PT limitation, then it’s a Reason limitation or user error.

I’m scratching my head to work out why they don’t just do the copy to track workflow with the players - the same way they do it within Reason itself. Another limitation of working in a DAW? You can drag the MIDI from a REX player or ReDrum in PT, so you’d think dragging or copying from a player would also be possible.

Confusing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Whoa, that doesn't sound good. Mac users having same experience?
I would be curious about that also. I was thinking about downloading, but I am not all that tech savvy and hate to be a beta tester

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-08-2020, 06:55 AM

I’m a Mac user. I haven’t experienced any of the issues that Donald did in terms of system usage.

Im still running the demo atm, so can’t comment on authorisation issues. Works fine in demo mode.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
No there definitely is. It was added in 11.2 which is what that video I linked is showing.

I can get MIDI to pass, but not the arpeggios or chords. It just passes the single note input.

As I said, I could have sworn I did this with Cthulhu and if you agree that I’m not imaging that, then it leads me to believe that in theory it should be possible. So, if it’s not a PT limitation, then it’s a Reason limitation or user error.

I’m scratching my head to work out why they don’t just do the copy to track workflow with the players - the same way they do it within Reason itself. Another limitation of working in a DAW? You can drag the MIDI from a REX player or ReDrum in PT, so you’d think dragging or copying from a player would also be possible.

Confusing...

Here's a headscratcher for you, Sardi. So, I set up Reason Rack on Inst track 1 and put another VI on Inst track 2 (Dune 3 in this case). I placed a simple 8 measure chord progression on the Reason track. In the rack I installed the Dual Arp, which also installed the MIDI Out module right below it. It was set to Ch 1. On Inst track 2 I changed the instrument input (not the track input) to Reason Rack plugin MIDI ch 1. Then hit play and the chord progression on the Reason track played the Dual arp, which, in turn, played the VI on track two as expected. I was even able to record the MIDI output from the Dual Arp playing on track 1 to track 2.

So then, I took the Dual Arp off the rack, and replaced it with the Scales and Chords plugin. I record armed the Reason track, and began playing notes. I can see that Reason see the MIDI input, but NOTHING plays on the VI on track 2 even though I have the input set correctly from Reason on Track 1 as before with Dual Arp.

So, Dual Arp plays the 2nd VI on a different track, but NOT Scales and Chords.

One could go bald on such issues!

Old 05-08-2020, 11:34 AM

That is the EXACT workflow I tried, but all I get is the single notes passing to the VI, not the arpeggios or chords. I can even record the MIDI to the secondary instrument track and it’s just the single notes.

I’m going to play around with it some more tomorrow, but if you’re saying you got it to record the arpeggios to the secondary MIDI track, then it must be possible. Would validate our recollection of Cthulhu.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Confusing...

Here's a headscratcher for you, Sardi. So, I set up Reason Rack on Inst track 1 and put another VI on Inst track 2 (Dune 3 in this case). I placed a simple 8 measure chord progression on the Reason track. In the rack I installed the Dual Arp, which also installed the MIDI Out module right below it. It was set to Ch 1. On Inst track 2 I changed the instrument input (not the track input) to Reason Rack plugin MIDI ch 1. Then hit play and the chord progression on the Reason track played the Dual arp, which, in turn, played the VI on track two as expected. I was even able to record the MIDI output from the Dual Arp playing on track 1 to track 2.

So then, I took the Dual Arp off the rack, and replaced it with the Scales and Chords plugin. I record armed the Reason track, and began playing notes. I can see that Reason see the MIDI input, but NOTHING plays on the VI on track 2 even though I have the input set correctly from Reason on Track 1 as before with Dual Arp.

So, Dual Arp plays the 2nd VI on a different track, but NOT Scales and Chords.

One could go bald on such issues!

Old 05-08-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
That is the EXACT workflow I tried, but all I get is the single notes passing to the VI, not the arpeggios or chords. I can even record the MIDI to the secondary instrument track and it’s just the single notes.

I’m going to play around with it some more tomorrow, but if you’re saying you got it to record the arpeggios to the secondary MIDI track, then it must be possible. Would validate our recollection of Cthulhu.

Please ignore my duplicate message...clicked too fast on something!

Anyway, Yes, the Dual Arp played just fine as described above. And the entire chord played, not just one note.

But I can't do a thing with the other one "Chords and Scales".

Also, I can't seem to do anything with NOte Echo either. I set it up a VI on an instrument track, then added the rack on the same track right below the VI and put Note Echo in the rack. I can see the audio signal hit the rack, but NOte Echo does nothing. It does however if I place a VI on the rack with it. So, apparently you can't process audio with it like an effect insert.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I’m a Mac user. I haven’t experienced any of the issues that Donald did in terms of system usage.

Im still running the demo atm, so can’t comment on authorisation issues. Works fine in demo mode.

Did the demo wipe out any previous install you had of Reason? I have R 8.3

QAPLA!
Old 05-08-2020, 05:57 PM

No.

I just renamed my Reason 10 app like I do with PT when testing new versions.