Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 PM

Default sync to Avid Scratch

Hi all

I'm working on a project that is going to be color corrected on Avid scratch. I'll get a Digibeta tape to lay back the mix on it. My work flow is to phase the sound from the beta to my session for sync check. Now I was told that there is no way to play sound from the Avid Scratch and to lay it in sync to the Digibeta (or any other HD formats). So my only way to check sync is by eye? Is there a more professional way?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 04:12 AM

Default Re: sync to Avid Scratch

This is one reason to insist that all programs include a "2 pop" at the start of post production! I badger my clients now, to insist that a 2-pop flash frame is included at head and tail of a show, all the way through color correction. They can erase the flashes once audio has been inserted, if they must.

For Digibeta, you can scrub a tape with the job wheel to check whether the audio is in sync. I'm assuming you have a reference picture in Pro Tools. Use the 2-pop at the top, or choose any picture cut, like a hard scene change. Place a sharp sound on your Pro Tools timeline at the start of that frame. Insert your mix, with that sharp sound solo'd, onto the tape. Just the short section is enough to check. Use the Digibeta's jog wheel to scrub back and forth across that frame, and listen for if the sound starts on the correct frame. The machine's analog cue track is ideal for this, but you can also do it with the digital audio tracks. Once you find the perfect timecode offset in Pro Tools, mute the extra sound and do your layback.

HDCam does not make this quite as easy. You can do the same procedure but when you use the shuttle wheel, the results can be a little more uncertain. You'll still be within a frame if you are careful. Also, using Dolby E is an extra level of complexity. You cannot scrub the Dolby E sound, so you have to get the correct offset with regular audio and then hook up Dolby E, and make the additional 1 or 2 frame offset that is normally required.

Of course, watch the layback carefully to see if all scenes have remained in sync. Sometimes, things can move accidentally during picture finish/color correct.