Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-09-2019, 11:30 PM

Default Another 6101 Error Query (I've tried everything)

Yes, I've read the forums.

Through Pro Tools 12 to 2018.12 (and Yosemite to Sierra), I've had a perpetual 6101 problem that I just dealt with for a couple of years (yes, years). For the past six months, I have been intently trying to actually figure out the problem, with no fruition.

I've got the following
Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750m 2048 MB + Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

I've tried various buffer sizes.
I've tried disabling the video engine.
I've tried both the Built-In I/O and my Scarlett Solo.
I've tried various sample rate and bit rate combos.
It doesn't matter if the project is a mix of audio tracks, instrument tracks, aux tracks, etc.
It doesn't matter if there are plug-ins or not.
The size of the project does not matter. It doesn't matter if the Wi-Fi card is on or off.
I've tried literally everything I can think of and have read probably every existing post about the matter.
I don't know what to do besides considering another DAW. Of course, if it's a problem with my computer, that would be moot (and expensive).

I'm at a loss.

The only possible, maybe relevant info is that there seems to be a disparity between what PT's internal system usage shows vs MacOS's Activity Monitor. PT shows the usage low (until the random spike) while Activity Monitor shows PT in the 80-100%+ range. (The over 100% part has confused me further. I'm wondering if perhaps Activity Monitor shows a program's portion of current usage rather than portion of potential usage.

I will be greatly appreciative of anyone that can help make me sane again.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Another 6101 Error Query (I've tried everything)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcwilliams View Post
Yes, I've read the forums.

Through Pro Tools 12 to 2018.12 (and Yosemite to Sierra), I've had a perpetual 6101 problem that I just dealt with for a couple of years (yes, years). For the past six months, I have been intently trying to actually figure out the problem, with no fruition.

I've got the following
Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750m 2048 MB + Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

I've tried various buffer sizes.
I've tried disabling the video engine.
I've tried both the Built-In I/O and my Scarlett Solo.
I've tried various sample rate and bit rate combos.
It doesn't matter if the project is a mix of audio tracks, instrument tracks, aux tracks, etc.
It doesn't matter if there are plug-ins or not.
The size of the project does not matter. It doesn't matter if the Wi-Fi card is on or off.
I've tried literally everything I can think of and have read probably every existing post about the matter.
I don't know what to do besides considering another DAW. Of course, if it's a problem with my computer, that would be moot (and expensive).

I'm at a loss.

The only possible, maybe relevant info is that there seems to be a disparity between what PT's internal system usage shows vs MacOS's Activity Monitor. PT shows the usage low (until the random spike) while Activity Monitor shows PT in the 80-100%+ range. (The over 100% part has confused me further. I'm wondering if perhaps Activity Monitor shows a program's portion of current usage rather than portion of potential usage.

I will be greatly appreciative of anyone that can help make me sane again.
Have you moved the plug-ins from the folder or just omitted them from the session?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-10-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Have you moved the plug-ins from the folder or just omitted them from the session?
I'm not sure it really matters. But no, I haven't messed around with plugin folders.

The 6101 issue happens on any session I have, not a specific one. New sessions, old sessions, sessions with audio, sessions that are exclusively Instruments/MIDI, sessions with a single plugin, sessions with over 30 plugins, sessions with a single track, sessions with over 20 tracks.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure it really matters. But no, I haven't messed around with plugin folders.
It matters. If you have a plug in the active folder that is problematic (expired demo, not qualified for your OS, etc.), its presence on your machine can cause the problems you describe. It or they don't have to be instantiated in a session to cause problems.

The troubleshooting protocol is to move all plugins out of the Plugins folder to the Plugins (Unused) folder - create one if you don't see one - reboot and open PT. PT will automagically regenerate all the stock plugins. Open some sessions and test. If you're still having the same problems with 6101 errors, you at least have eliminated plugs from being the cause of your problems.

If you don't see the same problems after clearing the Plugins folder, start moving the third party plugs back to the Plugins folder in small groups, rebooting each time, until you see the error(s) again; at that point you've narrowed the problem to the last group of plugs you moved back. Pull that group out again and reboot, then add them back one-at-a-time until you've found that bad one.

Yes, the procedure is time-consuming. Yes, it's a pain in the patooty. But are you spending stupid time fighting with 6101?

This procedure is covered many times in the forum.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:

The 6101 issue happens on any session I have, not a specific one. New sessions, old sessions, sessions with audio, sessions that are exclusively Instruments/MIDI, sessions with a single plugin, sessions with over 30 plugins, sessions with a single track, sessions with over 20 tracks.
Then I (as well as others here) strongly suggest that you move all but the stock Avid plug-ins from the folder and see if you still get the same errors. Good luck.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-12-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Then I (as well as others here) strongly suggest that you move all but the stock Avid plug-ins from the folder and see if you still get the same errors. Good luck.
I think I've narrowed it down to a few plug-ins: Kontakt 5 and some older Waves plugins/shells.

[Side note: I had actually updated some plugins at the end of January but some were outside Wave's "free update" period. ]

I'll update as necessary in a couple days (pending some auto-thread locking).

Just to be clear, though: the mere existence of a faulty plug-in in the plug-in folder can cause problems, even if not in use in the open session, right? That seems to be the implication.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:

...Just to be clear, though: the mere existence of a faulty plug-in in the plug-in folder can cause problems, even if not in use in the open session, right? That seems to be the implication.
Right. If a Plugin is in your Plugins folder, it will cause problems if it's problematic. It's not an implication. It's a clear and direct statement of fact.

You didn't do the troubleshooting process yet, did you?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post

You didn't do the troubleshooting process yet, did you?
I did. Just wanted to make sure I was properly comprehending the situation.

Moved everything out. PT stock plug-ins repopulated as expected. Started by dragging in only plug-ins I frequently use or otherwise need. Stuck the ones that seemed to cause problems in their own folder within the "Plug-Ins (Unused)" folder. Tested various projects to be extra sure. Did "stress tests" where I let a session loops several times and/or play well past it's recorded end. Etc.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:49 AM

Just an added aside: the plugins themselves can get corrupted , so if you figure out whats causing your issue you may be able to do a clean install of that plugin and have it working with your setup again.